How would you paint your undercarriage? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 13th, 2015, 10:27 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Not to thread-bomb, but I just borrowed a buddy's compressor and did the whole underside of my Disco with fluid film, which also seems like a newer, better waxoyl, for all of $90. I'm pretty pleased with the stuff this far, and it's a one-step, no fuss, no cleaning required process. I received no compensation for this post.

http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2015, 01:47 AM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Nothing wrong with chiming in mdcoa, we are all here to share ideas and experiences.

"Fluid Film auto undercoat remains active, migrating to inaccessible areas and protecting from moisture and road salts, even calcium chloride. Because it is a soft coating, it is going to have to be redone every year, or twice a year. Applied in fall, it will get you through a full winter season."

I don't want to have to go through the exercise of re-coating once or twice every year.

I'm assuming you didn't watch the DInitrol video. If you had, you would know the underside is only a portion of the treatment, treating the inside walls of the frame with a rust converter, and then a wax that won't clog the drain holes in the frame is as good as it gets.

... nobody's paying me to be here either.
Old June 14th, 2015, 07:16 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post
Not to thread-bomb, but I just borrowed a buddy's compressor and did the whole underside of my Disco with fluid film, which also seems like a newer, better waxoyl, for all of $90. I'm pretty pleased with the stuff this far, and it's a one-step, no fuss, no cleaning required process. I received no compensation for this post. http://www.fluid-film.com/applications/automotive/
How much can really be expected of a product that is applied to an uncleaned surface?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2015, 10:56 AM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
NM..
use your silly waxes
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:56 PM
mdcoa
Bill
1995 Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
How much can really be expected of a product that is applied to an uncleaned surface?
I know it sounds weird, but because it's an oily, non-drying substance, it really can go right on over pretty much everything, including old undercoating. I did pressure wash the underside, but that's about it. I did the coating about a month ago, and it's clearly reached the steel, working its way through the POs rubber undercoating (or maybe factory, I dunno), and obviously changing the rust it hit into, well, totally stabilized rust (like the browned finish that was used on many muzzleloaders).

CDN38, you're right--I didn't watch the video first, and, yes, I also was looking at Tapatalk when I should've been going to bed, which is only slightly smarter than using your phone to post a hurried reply to a thread when you should be going to bed. But I did see the kit photo with a range of products and thought, "Holy cow, it's a 37 step process," which, having viewed the video, turns out to be only a slight exaggeration.

I'd frankly rather do a 2 hour process annually than a 10 hour (which may be conservative) process once, especially since I (being the sloppy and impatient sort, which many of you may not be) would probably do a crappy job and leave portions of the chassis unprotected for years. With fluid film, there's a good chance that one year's crappy job will hit the spots I missed or under-treated the previous year. The kit I got comes with a 360-degree wand that can be fitted to an aerosol can for getting inside the frame and b/c pillars, as well as a spray gun and a gallon of fluid film, only half of which I used this year.

I used POR15 on a SIIA 109 I had years ago, and, like someone else in this thread, wasn't impressed. I ended up putting a galvanized chassis on the truck a few years later. I am kind of a fan of a rust-treatment, vice rust-solution, approach. What could be more fun than spraying sheep grease (fluid film is non-hazmat, and lanolin-based) on your truck every year, anyway?

That said, the product looks pretty amazing, and if one has the patience to properly strip and prepare and vaseline one's forehead, it could be a superb way to go.

Last note, my truck has spent its entire life until January in Texas, so it is pretty much rust-free, which is one reason it didn't need prep beyond a good washing. I do believe that if a truck is already rusty, one should knock off the chunks before fluid-filming it.

All that to say I think Fluidfilm is a neat option, and wanted to throw it out there since I hadn't seen it mentioned.

-bill
Old June 14th, 2015, 03:37 PM
DefenderMd
Ben
87 defender 110 3 door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdcoa View Post
I am kind of a fan of a rust-treatment, vice rust-solution, approach.

-bill
Well that's good, cuz that's the only thing available. That's why I choose to do it once as well as possible and forget about it. Its going to the scrap yard sooner or later.. be smart about it. Periodic table happens.

Then again, what would happen if you gave the entire vehicle a fluorine bath? Would it cover it in an inert crust or just dissolve it too rapidly.
Old June 14th, 2015, 08:27 PM
jedu52
Jose Urena
94 soft to D90

The way I painted my soft top 94 D90 nas was as follow: 1- a real excellent hand (under carriage) clean-up with steel brushes of different sizes and shapes. 2 -use those brushes with "diesel" fuel is best, in this process clean rags should be used to dry up the diesel (do not prolong the use of diesel unless you like the smell of it) 3-now is when prepsol or other type of professional solvent should be used. 4-masking tape all those parts that do not need painting 5-using paint-able under coating to protect the area that need to be protected. #6 very, very important #######6= two or 3 days later, I sprayed the under coating with enamel black paint.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
paint