How to tell if Milage is actually low? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 12th, 2015, 04:05 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Cool How to tell if Milage is actually low?

Hey guys,
I am about to look at a 2000 TD5 110 that I would like to bring to Canada. It has a claimed original odometer and kilometers of only 10,000km, and I insisted this a few times that the odometer was not replaced afterwards.
It has been customized with seats, DVD player, grey exterior paint (Original metallic blue as seen in the interior sections) wheels, LED's etc... and It really does look brand new! It is at a high end car dealership (ferraris etc...)
Mint, Low KM Defenders do exist, as I own a 2000 TDi 90 we have had since new with 20,000km.

What are some tips and tell tales I should look for to determine if it's the real deal, or a lie and just restored and replaced the odometer?
- perhaps look for wear on the stick shift shaft and knob, lights switches, ignition. Window seals? Battery box oxidation?

Appreciate the help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2015, 04:27 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Unless there is documentation to support the claim then they are basically talking shit....

You shouldn't be looking for evidence to support low mileage the seller should be providing it to you.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 12th, 2015, 04:38 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
So you're abroad right now? What country are you and the dealership currently in?

Agreed! I don't know what they are asking for it, but they would have to justify commanding a premium for an 700km/year vehicle. Other than the obvious, (binnacle removal marks, screws and scuffs) they should provide some kind of service docs that would back up their claims. But look for any repair tickets for items that shouldn't have failed so quickly. Also, factory installed parts don't have inventory stickers on them. So if they claim all is original, provided they didn't meticulously remove the stickers, you shouldn't find any.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 12th, 2015, 09:09 PM
jafir
Jafir Elkurd
Flaky Green 198something ex-mod 90

Registry
Td5 gauge is similar to 97 NAS, right? ECR has some photos of things to look for in their page. Most important being a sticker with the mfg date, if I recall correctly. Still no assurance it wasn't swapped for another just like it, but if it's date is 7 years newer you'd know it's been replaced.
Old October 12th, 2015, 10:34 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Don't even need to swap it. Could just unplug it.

I don't think I would want a low mileage 2000 td5 anyway. Didn't those years have issues? With such low miles my assumption is nothing was addressed.
Old October 12th, 2015, 11:04 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Don't even need to swap it. Could just unplug it.
True! Or disconnect the little transfer box (transducer module) from the lower speedo cable (unless that's what you meant) ;-) That worked for me as mine broke for about 20k. ;-)

------ Follow up post added October 12th, 2015 08:06 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
I don't think I would want a low mileage 2000 td5 anyway. Didn't those years have issues?
Ask Scott Pelly [CDN38] He's got one.
Old October 15th, 2015, 08:46 AM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
There was something a little off. Either it was an Ex-police... Or they replaced the motor/odometer, re-trimmed it, repainted.
One of the two, there was some interior wear and rust spots that shouldn't be there at 10500km... And the rear door was pooched.

As for the TD5 motor, I have had 5 now (1999's & 2000's) no problems yet. Love it actually. With a re-map, straight pipe and bigger inter cooler they FLY! Some times the head is known to crack, I have heard maybe 1 in 20 ?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac