How to store a Hard Top if not in use? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 24th, 2013, 08:58 PM
CDN d90
mathias
94.5 d90 NAS CDN #10

Registry
How to store a Hard Top if not in use?

Hello All I would like to take off my NAS 90's hard top. The take off is not the issue. How do I store the top and side panels so they does not get damaged?

Thoughts were to make a sling / bracket to mount under the garage ceiling with padding.

Could you please post pictures and give me suggestions on how you store it?

Thank you lots
Advertisement

Old March 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

I don't have any pics, but I have stored several in the past with great success. Go to your local hardware store and grab four pulleys with at least 100lb rating, an ATV winch, 20ft of rope, two five ft 2x4's with four I hooks. You should be able to get everything for $150. What you do is mount the winch on the wall about five ft high or so, mount the four pulleys in the ceiling just wider then the width and length of the top. Mount the I hooks at the ends of the 2x4's back your truck into the garage unbolt everything, lift the back up and slide one of the 2x4's under, I always like to bolt them down, then do the same to the front. Tie the rope to the I hooks loop them up through the pulleys in the ceiling and tie them altogether so that when the winch pulls it up that it pulls up evenly. I also usually throw a couple pillows on top to draw it to the ceiling without scratching. It will be out of site and out of mind and secured to the ceiling. The best is that you don't have to lift a thing! If I can find my pics ill post them, they have winch systems that sell for around $500 which is identical to what I am talking about!

PS when you put the pulleys and winch in, use three inch lag bolts in the studs!
Old March 25th, 2013, 04:26 PM
CDN d90
mathias
94.5 d90 NAS CDN #10

Registry
Thank you Brian. Appreciate the help. Thank you the winch and pulley suggestion is even a bit better than what i thought.

Thanks Mathias
Advertisement

Old March 26th, 2013, 02:40 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

Mathias,
How low is your garage? Mine is about 7 feet. I went to the hardware store and bought 4 screw in hooks, I can shoot you the pics. Since the hooks were screwed into my studs under the drywall, I would unbolt the top from the sides and from the windscreen, remove the rear door, climb into the truck which was parked under the hooks and slide the front into the 2 front hooks and then lift the back up and turn the hooks from being perpedicular to the truck to parrallel. I could do this myself and the top was now about 6.5 feet off the garage so I would not hit it with anything. Really an easy set up.
Clay
Old April 1st, 2013, 10:06 PM
CDN d90
mathias
94.5 d90 NAS CDN #10

Registry
Thank you for the help guys. I took it off and put it under the ceiling being able to drive the truck into the garage. GREAT ideas thanks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
hard top, top