How to replace crankshaft damper?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 3rd, 2009, 12:39 AM
Raider td5
ALIZAFAR
2001/Defender

How to replace crankshaft damper??

Hey guys... The crankshaft damper on my 01 TD5 defender broke. I want to know how to replace it? Is there any thing I need to be cautious about while I am at it? And would the timings need to be disturbed?

Really appreciate the input. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 3rd, 2009, 07:25 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hi, and welcome.

Unfortunately, the TD5 has never been sold here in the US and we have very few imports.

You'll probably find more TD5 expertise over at www.lr4x4.com - which is a UK-based forum.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old March 4th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

TD5 CS damper

Raider, it happens that I'm replacing the CS damper on a 2.5 Tdi engine. Not totally familiar with the Td5 but here's some insight from what I've learned. I dont know what issue you've encountered where you say it 'broke' but I'd suggest similar resources in the UK as your best bet for a new one. If it's a serpentine pully and the mounting hub of the damper slips over the crankshaft then your in for a degree of work to just get to the point of replacing the part; drain fluids, disconnect cooling, oil lines, remove viscous fan. Crank shaft bolt is tourqed to 200 ft. lbs. You will also need a means of locking the crankshaft/flywheel from turning to turn the damper mounting bolt free, same for tightening. lots of work but it can be done. be cautious w/ the outside diameter surface of the mounting hub on the new piece. The front cover crankshaft oil seal and this surface form a seal. Good luck and try Rimmer Bros. or Famous Four in the UK for your part. They both do mail order all over the world.

Mark
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2009, 02:05 AM
Raider td5
ALIZAFAR
2001/Defender

Thanks for your imput.

I already have the part.

Yes its the main big pully on which the serpentine belt rolls. when the engine is not running, I can roll the belt with my hand to a certain point and then back to the same point where I started from.

The car runs fine but it makes very annoying noise.. clunking noise.

Heres a video too, to help you better understand the problem.

And I have already post on land rovers only, landrover forums and lr4x4 but didn't get anything there.
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:04 AM
Mark McDonough
Mark McDonough
66' IIa, 95 D 90 300 Tdi, 94,98 D1

Loose Belt

Raider, Nice rig if I do say so. Looks like some good off road action over there. Whats with the guy in what looks like a clapped out G Wagon trying to get up the hill?

It's difficult to diagnose what your ailment is exactley and from the one comment you've made about moving the belt by hand. I can only imagine you may have a few things going on there. Have you checked the condition and function of the belt tensioner mechanism/pully? Based on what you describe, this may be the simple fix. Can you actually see physical damage to the crankshaft pulley, if so, what do you see? If it's started to break apart, toss it, replace it and check your serpentine belt tensioner. Dont run the engine if you see physical damage on the crakshaft damper. Replace it before other issues arrise. I dont have the spec off hand but the damper is balanced to within a very close tolerance (grams) so as to avoid vibration. This is critical in all engines and imperative in high compression diesel engines.
Old March 6th, 2009, 02:09 AM
Raider td5
ALIZAFAR
2001/Defender

Thanks man.

That jeep is a Pakistani jeep.. they have produced it with collaboration of Beijing Jeep of China. Its pretty crap I must say!

I got it checked from a mechanic who used to work at the dealership. At first he told me that the power steering pump and the water pump are gone!! I got those and found out thats not the problem. Then one day I was replacing the valve cover gasket myself and I just felt like rolling the belt with hand so i did it. And it rolled... I was like WTF.... this is not how its suppose to be. So I took it to the same person and showed him and as soon as he saw the belt move by hand he said the damper is broke. So i took his word and ordered the part AGAIN.

Well there are hardly any Td5 engines here, most of the engines he works on are petrol or 300/200 TDI's. So dont know if he diagonosed it rite. Theres no damage otherwise...I rolled the tensioner with the belt off and it felt fine.

The part reached yesterday so i will be taking it to the workshop in 2-3days. Lets see what it is...
Old March 12th, 2009, 04:18 AM
Raider td5
ALIZAFAR
2001/Defender

Smile

Hey guys!!!

I got the damper installedd ampngst other things!! it was a pretty easy task and now my ride is fighting fitt!!!

Thanks for all the help.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac, crankshaft