How to remove Cosmoline from new 4.0 block - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 7th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

How to remove Cosmoline from new 4.0 block

Hey all. So I'm looking at this sticky stuff on my block and I'd like to take it off. On my sks rifle, I just put it in the oven and melted it all off. I can't fit the block in my oven, I would if I could. How can I completely remove all the cosmoline off or should I just leave some of it on? I'm particularly concerned with the cooling holes and the residue on the pistons. Any help is appreciated thanks.

neil
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 7th, 2006, 02:56 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

I've had luck with Simple Green when removing the stuff from rifles in the past. But whatever you use, make sure to flush it out fully, a good cleaning AFTER the cleaning, with soap and water would be a good idea. Just make sure to get some kind of oil on their immediately, or you will be dealing with rust on the bearings and rings.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old December 8th, 2006, 08:39 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

I have used mineral spirits (paint thinner) on cast iron. Seems to work well with a stiff bristle brush.
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2006, 10:24 AM
Raider
Adam Knox
95 ST AA Yellow

I've used kerosene to get that junk off of my table saw when it was new.
Old December 11th, 2006, 12:53 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Heat gun should melt it off. How does a Kalifornian possess an SKS?
Old December 11th, 2006, 01:27 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave
Heat gun should melt it off. How does a Kalifornian possess an SKS?
They sell sks's in CA. It just has to comply with California's SB23 assault weapon law. (A centerfire rifle with detachable magazine cannot have any of the following: pistol grip, collapsable buttstock, flash hider or forward grip.) If you stick with the non-detachable magazine your fine, they even sell them here at Turners in that incarnation. You can even have the Yugo with the grenade launcher providing there is a muzzle break (not flash hider) tack welded onto the barrel. Other than that most sks's sold here in Kali have fixed mags, no muzzle breaks, wooden stocks and tons of cosmoline. Thanks for the info.

Neil
Old December 13th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Lightbulb A bad idea gives a technique to eliminate

When I was in the Army (RDF 86') they took away my M-16, gave me a toothbrush, a rag and a tiny can of something that smelled like Kerosene. When that didn't work, we dumped all of our freshly issued WWII M-3 Grease Guns and mags in a 50 gal. drum of MOgas to soak. 1SG (Cigar smoker) came to see what we were up to. When we returned from the edge of the airfield, he told us that what we were doing was dangerous.
Even the Armorer didn't have anything for us to use. So we took the pieces, threw them in the sand and stomped them around. Then we stole a couple of bottles of 409 from the Air Force "hangar hounds" cleaning closet, scraped the chunks off with sticks and finished with old T-shirts and elbow-grease. Then we turned them back in because the mission was cancelled. We were covered in CLP and that shit.
So pour gas on it, roll it around in a sand dune (or drag it behind your truck), poke it with a 2X4 2-300 times and then spray with 409 and wipe off. Rinse until dry. (???) Then send it back to Rovers North. I think that's what I learned. "That is all."
Old December 15th, 2006, 02:58 PM
Tim Scully
Tim Scully
95 D90 SW/ 95 RR LWB

When I was working as a tech for the LR dealer I would just use Carb Cleaner on a rag to get the excess stuff off and leave the rest. I didn't worry so much about the oil passages as I did about the coolant areas, as I didn't want long term issues with contamination. In 10 years never had one come back with any issues.
Old December 15th, 2006, 07:04 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

Thanks for the replys, I'm going to do the carb cleaner and rag technique. Now to send those heads out to the machine shop.

Neil

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions