How to mount a Defender Alloy wheel on the Hood. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 15th, 2009, 09:55 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

How to mount a Defender Alloy wheel on the Hood.

Hi.

I have a steel wheel bonnet mount (with adapter) that came with my D90. I don't have any steel wheels yet and I am planning a trip to Moab, Utah in May. I can't use my rear spare mount because I have a 4-bike rack installed on my hitch and it interferes with the spare. Does anyone know what kind of adapter is necessary to mount a Toronado Alloy Wheel onto the Bonnet Mount? Obviously the steel adapter doesn't work. Has anyone successfully mounted an alloy wheel on the hood before? If so, how did you do it? Suggestions much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2009, 10:10 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Just put the spare flat on the floor in the back and strap it down. Moab is so up and down that you will really be hating loosing even more forward visibility.
Old March 16th, 2009, 12:28 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hi Kevin.

Thanks for your tip. That's probably what I would go for if it wasn't for the fact that there will be two passengers in the rear. I know visibility sucks with a hood mounted spare but in my case its a hood mounted one or I leave it at home. I don't plan to do a ton of offroading down there, that's why we're bringing mountain bikes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2009, 05:18 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
what bike rack do you have? My tire works fine with my hitch mount? Are you using the factory step bumper?
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:04 AM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

Try using an extension for your bike rack. I supported 16 riders on the White Rim Trail using an extended Yakima rack on my 97 st. Worked great as this trail is pretty tame.

AJ
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:28 AM
ron
Ron
1994 NAS Defender 90

Carl I assume you have the forward facing seat. I would make a bracket inside the utilizes the diagonal cage. Maybe reinforce it through the floor. You definitely donít want a tire on the hood when you drive Moab.
Or get a half rack and put it up there.
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:06 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
www.d-90.com/mod/tirecarrier1/index.html
Old March 16th, 2009, 11:44 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

AJ,

We're part of a crew of 15 that is riding White Rim for three days. White Rim is more of a dirt/fire road, right? Aside from that I don't think I'll do much offroading. The main purpose of the trip is to ride. I don't have the NAS stock bumper. The previous owner upgraded the bumper and installed electric brake controllers. With the new bumper there's about a 1/2" between the empty Mantec spare carrier and the rack. I have the Thule Revolver rack. Great rack that swings out when you want to open the door. Fits 4 bikes. I haven't looked into an extension. That's a good idea. The only thing speaking against that is idea is weight distribution. Since I won't offroad much down there I also figured a hood mounted spare will even out all the weight in the back. I have a half roof rack on the rear of the roof which will be fully loaded with camping gear. Gear + bikes + dudes all on the back seems like uneven weight distribution to me. Not sure if it matters. I have Old Man Emu Heavy Duty suspension so it should ride quite nicely when fully loaded. I have 4 inward facing Exmoor Trim seats in the rear so putting a spare inside is just not an option. If you're all advising against a hood mount I might leave the spare at home then. If Thule makes an extension I could bring it. I'll look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtbussen
Try using an extension for your bike rack. I supported 16 riders on the White Rim Trail using an extended Yakima rack on my 97 st. Worked great as this trail is pretty tame.

AJ
Old March 16th, 2009, 03:00 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I think you could just get longer bolts. You won't be able to lock it though, unless you rig something with a cable lock.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 16th, 2009, 07:43 PM
ajtbussen
A J Bussen
1997 D-90 ST

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
AJ,

We're part of a crew of 15 that is riding White Rim for three days. White Rim is more of a dirt/fire road, right? Aside from that I don't think I'll do much offroading. The main purpose of the trip is to ride. I don't have the NAS stock bumper. The previous owner upgraded the bumper and installed electric brake controllers. With the new bumper there's about a 1/2" between the empty Mantec spare carrier and the rack. I have the Thule Revolver rack. Great rack that swings out when you want to open the door. Fits 4 bikes. I haven't looked into an extension. That's a good idea. The only thing speaking against that is idea is weight distribution. Since I won't offroad much down there I also figured a hood mounted spare will even out all the weight in the back. I have a half roof rack on the rear of the roof which will be fully loaded with camping gear. Gear + bikes + dudes all on the back seems like uneven weight distribution to me. Not sure if it matters. I have Old Man Emu Heavy Duty suspension so it should ride quite nicely when fully loaded. I have 4 inward facing Exmoor Trim seats in the rear so putting a spare inside is just not an option. If you're all advising against a hood mount I might leave the spare at home then. If Thule makes an extension I could bring it. I'll look into it.
When I ran the white rim back in 1998, we only had one person (the driver) riding in the D90. I ran the trail totally stock. 80 gallons of water, two large coolers, and one sleeping bag + personal bag per person. Sure the truck will look laden but should do fine. Weld up a extension and fasten it to the rear X-member. Try not carry any bikes on the trail, just for emergencies. I'll try and dig up some photos of that trip. What a great time!
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:31 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Antichrist,

Are you talking about the hood tire mount or the bike rack?

I'm not sure that would work on the hood tire mount. See attached picture. That is how a steel rim attaches. Those are the parts I have. I have no clue how (and if) an alloy rim attaches to that or what and alloy adapter would look like. That steel adapter would not fit through my Tornado Rim the way it does on a steel wheel and the bolts from the mount don't line up with the bolt holes in the rim. I'm just wondering if there's a Defender owner out there whose mounted an alloy rim to the hood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist
I think you could just get longer bolts. You won't be able to lock it though, unless you rig something with a cable lock.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mount.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	18313  
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:32 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
I have a similar rack and mounted it with a hitch extender. I purchased a lock for the extender bolt and one for the rack so that it can't walk off. Seems to work great, I actually leave the extender on it year round and my dog uses it as a step. I haven't had any issues driving off road to trailheads around here but I haven't taken it to Moab.

Alex
Old March 16th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

AJ. Please share photos if you have them easily available. I can't wait. Is it really a trail or more like a dirt road?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajtbussen
When I ran the white rim back in 1998, we only had one person (the driver) riding in the D90. I ran the trail totally stock. 80 gallons of water, two large coolers, and one sleeping bag + personal bag per person. Sure the truck will look laden but should do fine. Weld up a extension and fasten it to the rear X-member. Try not carry any bikes on the trail, just for emergencies. I'll try and dig up some photos of that trip. What a great time!
Follow-up Post:

Hi Alex,

Is that a Thule rack you have? I looked on their site and they don't seem to have extenders. Perhaps it'll work with a non-Thule Extender?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias
I have a similar rack and mounted it with a hitch extender. I purchased a lock for the extender bolt and one for the rack so that it can't walk off. Seems to work great, I actually leave the extender on it year round and my dog uses it as a step. I haven't had any issues driving off road to trailheads around here but I haven't taken it to Moab.

Alex
Old March 16th, 2009, 10:10 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal
Antichrist,

Are you talking about the hood tire mount or the bike rack?
The spare mount. I haven't put the bonnet spare mount on my Defender yet, so was just looking at the mount itself.
Sorry, I left out part of my first reply.

Leave off the part that fits down in the center of a steel rim. Use a 1" thick piece of oak about, about 4" x 6", drill holes in it for the bolts and use longer bolts to reach the mount. The oak will be hard enough to not crush, but be springy enough to keep the bolts from coming loose. I've used a similar setup on my Series Rovers when the wheel/tire combo was too thick for the standard mount.

You may be able to do something easier by flipping the wheel upside down as well. If you do that, you'll want to get one of those hose extensions that connect to your tire valve so you can check the tire pressure without having to remove the spare.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 17th, 2009, 12:06 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
[QUOTE=
Hi Alex,

Is that a Thule rack you have? I looked on their site and they don't seem to have extenders. Perhaps it'll work with a non-Thule Extender?

Thanks![/QUOTE]
Sorry I should have elaborated. I don't have a Thule bike rack and I can't remember the name but it folds down with the bikes on it and the tire swings out just fine. I purchased an extender for the hitch from a local trailer dealer. The rack installs in the extender. Without the rack installed it sticks out about a foot and is a handy step for my short ass to get to the roof, I have a Thule rack with a Packasport on top that is a pain to get into for me.

Alex
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:59 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

You can buy any standard 2" adapter, just do a google search for 2" hitch extension or extender and you'll find a ton of places selling them in a variety of designs and lengths, including ones with built in steps and other features.
Old March 17th, 2009, 01:31 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Carl....

I'm with Ron, don't put a tire on the hood and run Moab trails.
It will definitely block your view - particularly on the right side - and you won't like that feeling when heading downhill or trying to spot a boulder on that side.
Also, it is heavy and if you've ever hit the bonnet support while fiddling in the engine compartment, you won't believe how much it hurts when the damn thing crashes down on your head and back. I know from experience. If you want to use it for expeditions make sure you have bonnet reinforcing and the single piece bonnet stick (support).
I'd be careful about weight also - particularly up high. Roof racks look great but if you get on a sidehill or drop a tire in a hole that weight will at least scare you and at worst roll you over.
As far as steel wheels go, they are heavy, but you can bend them back out. I bent 4 steel wheels when I rolled in Moab and they were peened back out by a tire place. They work fine. But, Bill Burke, who makes his living runs trails and training still runs the stock alloys on his 1987 Range Rover (250,000 miles) and his 1994 D90 (150,000 miles) and they are the best looking parts of his trucks now.
Lastly, bikes are light and wheels and tires are heavy. Put the tire on the back and the tires on the Thule up top.
2 Cents from a fellow Oregonian - who will be in Moab in about 7 days.

Clark
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:19 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hitch extension it is. I just got to figure out a way to lock it. The Thule rack has a lock but now I have to get an additional one for the extension. I'm sure there are generic hitch locks there. Thanks for all your advice everyone.

Clark,

Thanks for you advice. I am convinced. On another note, I have a couple of questions in regards to your D90 300 tdi. I will send you a PM.

Thanks!

Carl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Carl....

I'm with Ron, don't put a tire on the hood and run Moab trails.
It will definitely block your view - particularly on the right side - and you won't like that feeling when heading downhill or trying to spot a boulder on that side.
Also, it is heavy and if you've ever hit the bonnet support while fiddling in the engine compartment, you won't believe how much it hurts when the damn thing crashes down on your head and back. I know from experience. If you want to use it for expeditions make sure you have bonnet reinforcing and the single piece bonnet stick (support).
I'd be careful about weight also - particularly up high. Roof racks look great but if you get on a sidehill or drop a tire in a hole that weight will at least scare you and at worst roll you over.
As far as steel wheels go, they are heavy, but you can bend them back out. I bent 4 steel wheels when I rolled in Moab and they were peened back out by a tire place. They work fine. But, Bill Burke, who makes his living runs trails and training still runs the stock alloys on his 1987 Range Rover (250,000 miles) and his 1994 D90 (150,000 miles) and they are the best looking parts of his trucks now.
Lastly, bikes are light and wheels and tires are heavy. Put the tire on the back and the tires on the Thule up top.
2 Cents from a fellow Oregonian - who will be in Moab in about 7 days.

Clark
Old March 17th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Those locking hitch pins are just as plentiful or more than the extender themselves and you can probably buy them both from the same place and save on shipping. Otherwise, your local west marine or even home depot/lowes/menards should have the locking pins in stock. Also, any trailer place or even Walmart should have them. I would suggest getting one that has a little cover for the key hole otherwise they have a tendency to get full of dirt and mud and become very difficult to remove after some time.
Old March 17th, 2009, 11:32 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Carl..

I replied to your PM

Clark

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alloy, hood, mount, wheel