How to keep your Land Rover alive forever? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 6th, 2010, 11:49 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

How to keep your Land Rover alive forever?

There is a fantastic book for VW owners (Airheads) called "How to keep your VW alive forever" or something like that. It's like a repair book for stoners and hippies. And if you've ever watched someone drop the engine of their '67 bus in the parking lot of a Grateful Dead show (I have) you can appreciate the simple, yet just technological enough nature of the book.

So, does anything similar exist for my Defender? I've seen the (c)1999 Haynes manual, but my experiences with them has been pretty mediocre. I'm sure my defender is not that much more difficult to work on than a VW bus. Maybe the VW book would actually help?

Looking for some opinions, which I know is not a difficult proposition here. Plus, it looks like a slow weekend on the board.

Jerod
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 6th, 2010, 12:03 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The factory manuals are fine. I mean, they're not illustrate with pictures of mushrooms or hookas or anything like that, but they do have effective diagrams and text.

You can get them cheap if you want to hassle with a CD, you can buy the books from Bentley Publishers or others, or you can always just find a place to steal them on the web

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old August 18th, 2010, 05:08 PM
Cred
Clarence
1994 D90 #1057

Registry
I need a manual as well. Where can I find factory manuals?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 18th, 2010, 05:24 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
I have this book which might be like what you are talking about.

http://www.amazon.com/Working-Wild-R.../dp/0837610400

Its got things in it like...

Radiator or joint leak: Block holes with silicon rubber sealer or chewing gum. Close off leaking capillary tubes by crimping with pliers. Put in sealing compound: i.e. Radweld, porridge oats (oatmeal) or even raw eggs or raw maize meal (cornmeal). . .
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:44 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
The factory manuals are fine. I mean, they're not illustrate with pictures of mushrooms or hookas or anything like that, but they do have effective diagrams and text.
Old August 18th, 2010, 05:51 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Log on to internet

Post problem on D-90 with a word in the title of significant urgency ie HELP, stuck on side of the road

I gaurantee you that you will have knowledgable people talking you through whatever it is within 30min.

Ron
Old August 18th, 2010, 07:34 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
I like the illustrations, makes me feel like I'm on the same level as the author

Seriously, I've downloaded whatever is out there on the web, I downloaded microcat as well, and for my level of understanding, they are not terribly helpful.

I bet there are actual NAS manuals floating around that might be more specific for our trucks, but like everything else I'm learning, are probably NLA.

The Bentley manual I had for my 911 was pretty good, but very detailed and complicated. All the other ones were shit ("assembly is opposite of removal"). That VW manual kicks ass for those of us without engineering degrees.

I've tried to use the Land Rover manuals I have PDF's of, but they're not targeted to NAS V8s, so there's just too much stuff that doesn't apply.

My $0.04
Old August 18th, 2010, 08:57 PM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

How to Keep your Volkswagen Alive, by John Muir and Tosh Gregg.
No, nothing like it for the Land Rover. The factory manual is one of the better factory manuals for cars.

Funny you should mention it though. An aging hippie friend of mine in VT and I were going to do one (he was a writer and the most fascinating person I've ever know to talk with) but sadly he died suddenly of cancer before we got it going.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:39 PM
97-D90-736
Nick Vogel
1997 D-90 / 2012 LR4

Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90

I like the illustrations, makes me feel like I'm on the same level as the author

Seriously, I've downloaded whatever is out there on the web, I downloaded microcat as well, and for my level of understanding, they are not terribly helpful.

I bet there are actual NAS manuals floating around that might be more specific for our trucks, but like everything else I'm learning, are probably NLA.

The Bentley manual I had for my 911 was pretty good, but very detailed and complicated. All the other ones were shit ("assembly is opposite of removal"). That VW manual kicks ass for those of us without engineering degrees.

I've tried to use the Land Rover manuals I have PDF's of, but they're not targeted to NAS V8s, so there's just too much stuff that doesn't apply.

My $0.04
I have the NAS manual for my 97. I suppose I could take it to work and scan it for "working" copy purposes.

They do float around here for sale.
Old August 18th, 2010, 09:51 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
anybody else think we could write this as a conglomerate . get it published and those who contributed would get royalties. I know there is enough know how on this forum its just getting it put together.
Old August 18th, 2010, 10:32 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by founD90 View Post

I have a bundle of documents called LHP28 which contains PDF owners manuals, copies of the NAS microfiche and all NAS specific parts, sales brochures and 1993-1995 workshop manual and a separate 1997 manual.

you can buy the set from some retailers and some people leave copies carelessly lying around on the internet ... a few moments with google should help turn them up ...

They would for example let you know a NAS 90 tank part code was ESR2657 ... and that might be pretty useful to someone! ;-)
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:24 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

ESR 2657...hmmm, seems to be ringing a bell. Not sure why...oh, that's where my other kidney went.
Old August 18th, 2010, 11:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Don't forget we have a wiki:

http://www.defenderwiki.org

It needs some work which I haven't had the time to give it, but anyone is welcome to create an account and add content.

Bentley Publishers actually prints the Rover manuals, you buy direct from them or go to Amazon or Powell's

Old August 18th, 2010, 11:48 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I have that hippie book! There is nothing like it for D-90's.

If it weren't for my D-90 falling in my lap I would be driving a VW Thing. My 2nd favorite car of all time - behind my d-90 of course.
Old August 19th, 2010, 05:32 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
the DefenderWiki seems like a great resource to do this. I didn't know about it. I'm a big fan of wiki's.
Old August 19th, 2010, 08:57 AM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

I have used the old VW manual with great success.. I kept 4 different manuals in my 79 Westphalia at all times.. at times the idiot manuals were very helpfull.. and others the shop manuals were more so.. I drove that bus from coast to coast east to west several times... boarder crossings were never a quick stop.. lol.. my 110 Tdi is now my traveler.. and slowley becoming my new camper.. I have spent 10 days at a time camping in it and have logged over 11,000 miles since spring.. I do own all the Rave manuals and the Heritage cd but I have also been looking for paperback books to keep with me on the go..
And yes the stupid little diagrams may even give you a good laugh when your stuck on the side of the road somewere..
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:06 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Have you looked at RAVE?

http://www.landroverresource.com/rave.zip
Old August 19th, 2010, 10:33 AM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
Thanks! A little digging and I found the '94 NAS Workshop Manual. Cool. All that's missing are mushrooms and hookas

(For those of you with Macs, open 'rave-lr.pdf' it has a little interface to the manuals.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions