How to increase cooling system's efficiency - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:34 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
How to increase cooling system's efficiency

I just purchased a d-90 (with an unknown maintenance history) so I've been spending the last few weeks replacing seals, hoses, fluids, etc. First on the list was the oil cooler lines (which were leaking). I replaced them with power steering hose.

One of the things I need to sort out is the cooling system. The vehicle doesn't overheat (often) but it does get hot. This especially occurs when offroading or climbing mountain roads. The thermostat will get 3/4ths of the way up before I slow down to let it cool. It seems like the resting thermostat level while the engine is on is around 5/8ths of the way up (slightly above 50%).

I'd like to know:
a) is this unusual?
b) what should I prioritize to increase the cooling system efficiency? I'm currently flushing the system. I'm considering a new, larger radiator, new fans, etc.

I'm of the belief that the head gasket & sealing issues in land rovers are at least partially due to an underpowered cooling system.

I've searched the forums & read http://www.defendersource.com/faq/En...ngCooling.html. I'm more looking to answer the question: what, if anything, should I do first?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2012, 11:04 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Actually Sam, a Land Rover's cooling system is more than adequate. You really shouldn't rely on a gauge as they can vary wildly in their accuracy.
All automotive cooling systems are pressurized to at least 14psi. That means the coolant can get hotter than boiling. For a number of reasons you want the engine to operate around 180F.
The fan is for conditions where there is not enough forward motion to move sufficient air thru the radiator. At high speeds the fan does very little to help with cooling. So, when you are moving slowly off road you want to be sure that your fan is pulling properly (viscous coupling). Going up hill, you are generating a lot of heat due to the rich mixture. Slowing down is actually not the thing to do until you are over the top as you are reducing the air flow thru the radiator. If you are getting too hot going up hills it may be due to the radiator losing efficiency from blockage. You can also turn on the heater (!) to help as this will act like an extra radiator.

Other things that can mess you up are, in no particular order: thermostat not installed or installed upside down, water pump vanes eroded away, blockage in engine coolant passages, blockage in radiator, collapsed hose, and the ever popular blown head gasket.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Test out the viscous coupling first. They have a very high failure rate. When it is "overheating", take a rolled up newspaper and carefully try and stop the fan. If it stops, the viscous coupling is dead. If it does not, then we need to look for other problems.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 9th, 2012, 11:14 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Thanks Bill, those are good suggestions. I have had to use the heater in the past. We'll see if the radiator flush helps at all. I guess additional electric fans would help for offroading but less for the hill climbs.

Based on searching these forums it seems like the best way to measure engine temp is with a point-and-shoot infrared thermometer. Is that the case?
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:23 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
Sam, the thing is, a properly operating LR cooling system shouldn't need any additional fans. So adding one to keep it cool is only a band aid, and running with a malfunctioning coolant system is bad bad news for these aluminum v8's..

get it sorted, start w.the viscous. Take temp to see perhaps your gauge is inaccurate. Perhaps the previous owner isntalled a higher temp thermo, which would make your engine run hotter all the time.

~Steve
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:41 AM
sro
Sam Odio
2008 LR2

Registry
Thanks, I'll check the viscous coupling.

So a properly operating V8 D90 shouldn't get hot on hill climb or during moderate (not extreme) offroading? I just figured that's what they do and if I wanted to keep them cool, I'd have to go aftermarket. Guess I was wrong.
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:42 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Replace viscous coupler is the most likely cure. Test as Bill said above. Could be other issues, but that would be my guess. All and all most D90s need or have had a new VC, water pump and rad by now in their lives.

Also, if you have AC, make sure the electric fans work.
Old October 9th, 2012, 11:54 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
I had similiar issues and decided to change viscus fan, water pump and t-stat all at the same time and keep the pump and fan as trail spares. Temps never go above mid-point off road or when climbing to 5k feet as it used too.

Don't mess with high temps. These parts are cheap and easy fixes.

Clay
Old October 9th, 2012, 01:58 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Do a pressure test on the system ... I pressurized my system and found a tiny hole ... I also figured the radiator cap wasn't sealing properly.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old October 9th, 2012, 02:36 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

There is a modification, I think it's called the "in-line thermostat mod" but not sure, to improve the cooling of the V8. I don't have more details, but basically it's a relocation of thermostat from bottom hose to top hose. More info on dweb.
Old October 10th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

I'd do more than an engine flush. Pull the radiator and have if checked out by a radiator shop. The can boil it out and if needed (I wouldn't be at all surprised if it is), rod it.
While it's out, make sure the transmission cooler and AC radiators (if you have them) aren't clogged with debris.
As mentioned, make sure the viscous clutch for the fan is in good shape. Replacements are cheap, about $50, so if it's at all questionable, replace it.
US made thermostats seem to be spec'd different from the OE so make sure the thermostat is the correct temp. If it's from your typical auto parts store it's likely too hot. Every listing I've seen says a 195 which is way too hot. You want a 180. The Stant Superstat - 45858, $9.99 at Advance Auto, should work. It's a good quality thermostat with the jiggle pin. Otherwise get an 88c from one of the Rover parts places.
If you really care about your engine, I'd install a mechanical full sweep temperature gauge. When you install it, clock it so "normal" is straight up.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:26 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
FINALLY SOMEONE POSTS A PART NUMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Inline thermostat is for Bosch engines.
Old October 10th, 2012, 03:51 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Inline thermostat is for Bosch engines.
Any details will be very much welcome, the info I found on dweb is quite confusing.
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:15 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFD View Post
Any details will be very much welcome, the info I found on dweb is quite confusing.

This has been beaten into the ground. I have not dealt with the Bosch engines, seems there is a way to convert those trucks to run a lower temp higher volume thermostat..
Old October 10th, 2012, 04:44 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
This has been beaten into the ground.
Exactly, and that make it confusing. I haven't been able to find clear instructions for the DIY mechanic. I haven't search for a while, may be there is new stuff on internet.
Old October 10th, 2012, 09:39 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Check discoweb, I think it involves a BMW rad hose. If I ever bought a DII this "mod" would be done the day it came home.
Old October 13th, 2012, 08:51 AM
flananuts
Matthew
LRC Customs #003 D110 Soft Top

Registry
My radiator needed record new core and the shop showed that I cou,d put a four core back in the place of the stock three. This is my daily driver and on the hottest days it never got hot like it did before the change. I Kidd also put in a new fan clutch as well and I'm very pleased.

My 2c

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions