How to get started... - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 9th, 2009, 06:44 PM
90Beginner
Ben Barron
None

How to get started...

Hello everyone,

I am a young guy in Birmingham, Alabama and have always been interested in buying a Defender 90. With that said, I have just graduated from school and would like to obtain one (at a relatively low cost - given that I am not the richest man in the world).

I would greatly appreciate any help/advice that anyone could provide me about starting this process. Thank you all.

Ben Barron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2009, 06:45 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Keep an eye on the for sale board here and LRX and be prepared to jump on a plane for the right deal. Also, use craiglook to search craigslist.
Old August 9th, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

And also look into common problems with the truck to look for. Oil cooler lines, rotted out fuel tank skid plate, things like that.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 9th, 2009, 10:03 PM
Caribsurf
Donald McDowell
Black 1997 D-90 soft top

there is a dealer www.landroversforsale.com I think they are based in Alabama drive over and speak with them
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What's a relatively low price? Maybe it will help set your expectations or let people point you to deals they know of.
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:55 PM
90Beginner
Ben Barron
None

Thank y'all for responding...

Thank you all for the help. I was looking for something around $10k to $15k. I know it is not much and that I won't get a top of the line 90, but this as a starting point is really where I am financially right now. I have my first child on the way, but for some reason I can't get my mind off a 90 (which I have always wanted).

Does that help out any? I know my options may be heavily limited.

Thanks again, all.

Ben
Old August 9th, 2009, 10:58 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Prices are down but not down that low I don't think. Maybe consider importing a 1984 or older D90?

Best of luck though,

charles
Old August 10th, 2009, 09:06 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

You would be better off saving up some more money. If you are able to pick up a 10-15K truck, you will spend significantly more $ on repairs, neglected maintenance and rust abatement.

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:07 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
You would be better off saving up some more money. If you are able to pick up a 10-15K truck, you will spend significantly more $ on repairs, neglected maintenance and rust abatement.
Let's see both Grendal and Chicky sold in that range. You can often make a couple dollars back if you buy a truck with accessories and then sell them off. IE grendal's winch/bumper would fetch probably $800-1000 given how much everyone wants the stock set up.

You will be looking at a truck that has some issues, but if you are mechanically inclinded, go for it.
Old August 10th, 2009, 10:36 AM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Consider a ROW 110?

You said you have a baby on the way. Have you considered an '85-'85 ROW (Rest of the World) D110? There are several guys that work with reliable sources overseas to find and import legal examples, and then resell them. These options are generally available in the price range you describe, and it would be alot easier to justify with your significant other if you have a real backseat and doors. Just a thought. If you want to investigate, you should talk to one of our board members (Doug Crowther ), I believe he will even work with you to try to find an ideal match to import..

I believe this is his website..

Old August 10th, 2009, 12:42 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
Let's see both Grendal and Chicky sold in that range. You can often make a couple dollars back if you buy a truck with accessories and then sell them off. IE grendal's winch/bumper would fetch probably $800-1000 given how much everyone wants the stock set up.

You will be looking at a truck that has some issues, but if you are mechanically inclinded, go for it.
Ron, I agree with you. When someone is very aware of what they are getting into and what to look out for, a great deal can be found.

I would recommend that you have another Defender owner with you or have an experienced shop do an independent review, then you can save yourself a lot of headaches and $.

Old August 10th, 2009, 05:45 PM
wilson5225
Webb Wilson
1995 D-90 (#1976)

Talk with Stephen at www.landroversforsale.com - they deal with higher end D-90s but he sees a bunch of stuff and probably can help find you a cheaper one or at least get you up to speed on D-90 info.
Old August 11th, 2009, 09:44 PM
Cali_045
Shane McMillen
None

I am looking into getting a D-90 as well, how much does a decent one cost? Also does the 94 and 95 D-90 come in the beluga black?
Old August 12th, 2009, 05:47 PM
wilson5225
Webb Wilson
1995 D-90 (#1976)

Depends on what "decent" means - the guys who post here a lot can tell you better than I probably can but for a super nice one with little defect and hardly any miles can run you $35-40k - whereas a good one with a few more miles and a few scratches, dents, rust, etc can be in the $24-35k range. If you're willing to put some work into one there are a few that have a lot of miles but still in relatively good shape in the "for sale" part of the forum (under $24k).

yes the 94 & 95s come in Beluga Black
Old August 12th, 2009, 07:46 PM
firemangreen
Justin
97 D1, 95 SW, 65 IIA

As a new D90 owner, I highly recommend listening to the folks on this board. I've had a Disco 1 for almost 10 years so I got to know some of the common Rover issues. By reading a lot of the threads and watching the trucks up for sale, I got to know even more about Defender (90 ROW, NASD90, etc,) specific issues and what the sales prices are for the different trucks' conditions.

As others have mentioned get to know what to look for or have a local owner give you their opinions. Get all your personal financial ducks in a row and be prepared to make an offer on a truck when you see the right one for you.

And above all, the best advice I received from this board was "buy a truck with the least miles and least rust that you can afford." I waited several years before the right variables aligned to put me in a position to get my 57K miles, no rust D90, so patience helps too.

Good luck on your search.
95 SW #129
65 IIA
Old August 12th, 2009, 08:22 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

Ben, here's what ya do. Buy a Rubicon wrangler, bolt on a long arm kit for about 2600, throw on a set of 35 and go anywhere you want to PLUS, you get to throw the 20K in your pocket for not building a D.

J/K ..... good luck. My advice would be, be picky, patient and buy the cleanest truck you can afford. Don't be taken in by a truck that has all the bolt on stuff but is rusty. Bolt on is CHEAP, rust is not.
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:46 PM
90Beginner
Ben Barron
None

Once again, thank you all for the help. I think, after reading all of your thoughts, I may need to wait and build up my resources, so that I can be picky and find truly what I want rather than just trying to jump at the cheapest/best one I can find for the money now.

It pains me that I should wait, but I am under the impression that I probably ought to wait. Anyone agree? Thanks again.

Ben
Old August 12th, 2009, 09:50 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Hard to go wrong waiting. Something will probably fall into your lap, and you can spend your time reading the archives and building up your knowledge. Attending a couple events would also whet your appetite and help get your ear to the ground regarding local sales or enthusiast-owned trucks.

Old August 12th, 2009, 09:51 PM
EWR
Carey
1954 CJ-3B

It's tough, but be patient , trust me. Buy a clean truck, the rest is easy. Good Luck!..
Old August 12th, 2009, 11:26 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

There is a black D90 for sale here locally in Albuquerque. Was bought new here in 1995, lived it's life in Gallup, NM. 145K miles, looks to have lived it's life on the road...still has the sway bars. Mechanically-it runs well, drives nice, transmission shifts well, decent brakes, new tires. Has a manageable bit of leakage from the t-box. The paint is faded on the wing tops & hood and there is a bit of minor body damage on the RF and RR corners. The chassis & bulkhead are both excellent--not much rusts in the desert. The soft trim bits have deteriorated--seats need recovered, door seals and rubber mats are shot, dash pad is cracked. Has a fiberglass hardtop in poor condition, but also a Bestop that looks to have seen relatively little use. No A/C, but it does have a factory winch. Would make an excellent starter D90. If anyone is interested, you can PM me with your details and I will pass them on to the owner. I believe he is asking $17.5K.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start