HOW TO: Dorman Clutch Master Cylinder Conversion (Defender & Series late-IIA & III) - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 21st, 2016, 07:56 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
The 2002 workshop manual was last updated in 2011...

------ Follow up post added January 21st, 2016 09:00 PM ------

I would recommend using DOT 3 if you are the sort of person that would use metal head gaskets instead of composite head gaskets on your V8.
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2016, 08:34 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
DOT3, DOT 4...DOT221...whatever it takes .

Well, with the Dorman now I've been running dirty dishwater and it's functioning just fine. I may upgrade to dog saliva soon to see how it compares.

All joking aside, like Jeff said it's ridiculous if Rover hydraulics are that finicky...and was one more reason for the swap(s) on my end. I'd love to run something like DOT5 that's silicone based and won't strip away the paint if you spill one damn drop by accident when you're filling things up.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 21st, 2016, 08:38 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
DOT3, DOT 4...DOT221...whatever it takes .

Well, with the Dorman now I've been running dirty dishwater and it's functioning just fine. I may upgrade to dog saliva soon to see how it compares.

All joking aside, like Jeff said it's ridiculous if Rover hydraulics are that finicky...and was one more reason for the swap(s) on my end. I'd love to run something like DOT5 that's silicone based and won't strip away the paint if you spill one damn drop by accident when you're filling things up.
I mean water will work too if you don't get the brakes too hot
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2016, 08:52 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The hydraulics are designed and supplied by Lockheed and use the same design and components as every other braking system on every other car. They are just as compatible with regular brake fluids as everything else. There is nothing special being used in a Defender.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old January 21st, 2016, 10:03 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Okay. 25 years with all original brake hydraulics and no leaks. How long are they supposed to last? Change the fluid every two years like you should do on every car.

Old January 21st, 2016, 10:20 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
I see parts come through for a lot of people. I rarely see hydraulics. I really don't believe failures are any higher than any other car if you remove crappy aftermarket parts and poor maintenance from the equation.

Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:01 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
From what I understand about the low viscosity fluid is that it offers better low temperature pedal feel. Most European cars now call for LV fluid.
Old January 22nd, 2016, 06:11 AM
rovertek
chris
D130, 2001+99 p38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I see parts come through for a lot of people. I rarely see hydraulics. I really don't believe failures are any higher than any other car if you remove crappy aftermarket parts and poor maintenance from the equation.
Agreed !
Nathan very nice upgrade Thank you for taking the time to put it together
Old August 27th, 2016, 07:34 AM
speedpin
Adam
1986 110

Registry
Ordered the SDO dorman Kit on Tuesday. Jason was out of town but had it to me by Friday, I was taking the 110 to Lexington Va Today! Kit was complete drop in. I had a dripping clutch pedal and leaking oem master cylinder.

Followed the steps above for my RHD 110. Took about 2 hours. Adjusted and took for a test drive. Great feel and dry as a bone again.

Thanks Lav "SDO"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160826_195743.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	156515   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160826_195809.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	156516  

Name:	20160826_203828.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	156517   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160826_203835.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	156518  

Name:	20160826_223733.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	106.9 KB
ID:	156519   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160826_223749.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	156520  

Old September 25th, 2016, 02:27 PM
GuamPilot
Mike & Carrie Wendt
1986 90 2.5NA

Registry
Jason, do you sell the hose by itself?

Mike & Carrie
Old September 26th, 2016, 03:20 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuamPilot View Post
Jason, do you sell the hose by itself?

Mike & Carrie
Sent you a pm....glad to help out.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 19th, 2016, 09:28 AM
ugly90
Adam
1987 90 ExMod FFR

Good writeup on the master cylinder change. I find they don't last too long, but mine are always decades old. I usually find the seals to fail, rather than aluminum. Having the unit sitting for years, water in the brake fluid, or using synthetic fluid can damage the seals. It has been very difficult to find a non-synthetic DOT3 or DOT4 fluid. The big box autoparts stores didn't have it, I had to find a parts distributor that shops use. I found bottles of " Kleen Flo " DOT3 that expressly were not synthetic.
Old November 19th, 2016, 11:40 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly90 View Post
Good writeup on the master cylinder change. I find they don't last too long, but mine are always decades old. I usually find the seals to fail, rather than aluminum. Having the unit sitting for years, water in the brake fluid, or using synthetic fluid can damage the seals. It has been very difficult to find a non-synthetic DOT3 or DOT4 fluid. The big box autoparts stores didn't have it, I had to find a parts distributor that shops use. I found bottles of " Kleen Flo " DOT3 that expressly were not synthetic.
Yeah I was lucky to get 10k miles out of a MC....but admittedly the off-road use probably amplified my issues - though many, many others saw/see similar problems with Rover hydraulics so I know I wasn't alone .

The other nice thing about the change....as you alluded to, there is no more need to be overly finicky or try to run "special" fluids with the Dorman. While I'm still running the Castrol GT LMA, the reality is any DOT 3/4 would be fine. Many - including myself - found it absolutely annoying to source some particular fluids for the clutch hydraulics. I mean, it's an old Land Rover....not a Maclaren.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Old November 21st, 2016, 08:36 PM
DPdotCOM
Dan Pollock
1983 Defender 3 Door

Further kudos to Jason. I just installed my SDO Dorman kit yesterday. Awesome directions, top notch quality. The braided line is a massive upgrade, and the directions were invaluable (especially for us LHD folks, for which this job is a total PITA). I wouldn't have necessarily had the courage to just unmount the brake booster, but thanks to his directions, it was all "paint by numbers." Clutch is good to go now.

Special bonus for meeting me to pass it off on a Saturday so I could do the work at the father-in-law's fully equipped garage on Sunday.

And to my LHD drive brethren, get yourself a set of these and a nice long extension before taking on this job:

It makes getting at a bunch of the parts infinitely easier.
Old November 22nd, 2016, 09:17 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by DPdotCOM View Post
Further kudos to Jason. I just installed my SDO Dorman kit yesterday. Awesome directions, top notch quality. The braided line is a massive upgrade, and the directions were invaluable (especially for us LHD folks, for which this job is a total PITA). I wouldn't have necessarily had the courage to just unmount the brake booster, but thanks to his directions, it was all "paint by numbers." Clutch is good to go now.

Special bonus for meeting me to pass it off on a Saturday so I could do the work at the father-in-law's fully equipped garage on Sunday.

And to my LHD drive brethren, get yourself a set of these and a nice long extension before taking on this job:

It makes getting at a bunch of the parts infinitely easier.
Dan - glad it worked out for you, I figured my ridiculously over-detailed install instructions would either scare you off or be just what you needed...glad it was the latter . Always happy to assist anytime of day or night for a fellow Rover owner (and local guy!).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
defender, clutch, master, conversion, series