How to confirm your transfer box ratio - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old May 11th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Gary Patterson
1990 LHD Tithonus
How to confirm your transfer box ratio

I bought a secondhand disco 1.2 transfer box for my 200tdi defender and before fitting new seals and installing, I wanted to check that it hadn't been retro fitted with an alternative ratio. I realise it's not rocket science but thought that the following might help anyone else wanting to check the same.

My box is already off of the car but it could be easily checked on the car by jacking a rear wheel, removing the PTO cover and paint marking the input gear from the other side.

Rotate the handbrake drum to remove any slack.
Paint a reference mark across the drum and it's back plate.
Paint a mark at 12 o'clock on the input gear
Rotate the brake drum one full revolution so that drum paint marks line up again.
Check the new position of the paint mark on the input gear. It will have moved one complete revolution plus a certain number of 'minutes' after its original 12 o'clock position depending on the final drive. It will be one of 3 positions. If you have the 1.22 drive then it will be 13 minutes past. The 1.4 drive will leave it at 24 mins past. The 1.67 will be 40 mins past.
If you look carefully, you can see my paint mark has indeed moved to the 1.22 position.
Hope that helps someone
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	brake drum marks.jpeg
Views:	35
Size:	216.5 KB
ID:	149265   Click image for larger version

Name:	paint mark 12oclock.JPG
Views:	32
Size:	196.1 KB
ID:	149266  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Transfer box ratio guide.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	227.7 KB
ID:	149267  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions