How to check fuel pressure? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 10th, 2005, 03:26 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

How to check fuel pressure?

My right bank is running much hotter than the left, way too lean...
Could this be a lack of fuel pressure? What is a good tool, method to check the pressure.
My idle is also not dropping below 950 rpms.
It is also not starting well when it is cold (2 mins when below freezing). Warm starts almost perfect.

1995 D-90
4.6 with RPI's chip
Everything stock except for air filter....

Still having the same problems from my last post.
I have had so little time to work on this truck, I do not want to keep neglecting it.
Thanks in advance,
Heath
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 10th, 2005, 04:23 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I wouldn't think that it is the fuel pressure problem unless the fuel rail is clogged 1/2 way (this has happened before). Maybe the right side O2 sensor is bad and causing that side to run lean? You could switch the sensors from side to side to see if the problem fallows the sensor. How do you know that the right side is running hotter then the left? Maybe the cat on the left is clogged causing the problem?
Old January 11th, 2005, 01:47 PM
Heath
Heath Ahrens
1995/D-90

The bright red cat section let me know it was a little too hot...

On second thought what could also be keeping the idle so high, (around 1000 rpms).
And after you hit the accelerator it will not drop below 1250 rpms unless you fiddle with the linkage.
Even when the linkage is forced closed all the way, it will never drop bellow 900 rpms).

Also code 14 will not go away. I replaced the sensor and still nothing. Maybe I frayed a wire somewhere.

When I disconnect the O2 sensor I get no other code...
I disconnected the MAF sensort just to check and that does give me a code... 12 I think...

I thought there might be a vacuum leak so I checked around with some propane and nothing seems to be leaking. (besides the computer would compensate for a small leak anyway ((I think))).

So my problems are high idle, and running too lean especially on the RH side (passenger)
Any specific procedures I should try?

The exhaust is NRP front to back.

Thanks again!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 11th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

If you haven't reset the ECU, (sometimes after a couple resets things fix themselves . If the CAT is red then I would guess the O2 reading would be a bit off, thus the ECU throwing the code. Pull the O2 sensor out, I think the engine runs rich when the sensor is either disconnected or pulled out. I would also pull and clean the IAC stepper if you idle is erratic.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
fuel