How to Change Front Springs - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 30th, 2009, 05:24 PM
johnpiero
John Brancato
none

How to Change Front Springs

Happy Friday All!!!!!

I'll be replacing my front springs this weekend and was concerned that I may need a spring-compressor to do this job. Do I? If so, I have a problem and am hoping that the springs are totally uncompressed when the car is lifted.

Any direction/suggestion/hints in doing this job are appreciated.

BTW, I have a '94 D90 with OME springs (not sure which ones) and will be installing OME 751's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2009, 05:44 PM
paulnb57
Paul Beckwith
92 D90 300tdi hard top rebuild

Ive done standard length springs without a spring compressor. Jack up the truck with rear wheels chocked from under the front axle and support the chassis frame with an axle stand or similar. Then when you are ready to remove the spring, lower the jack leaving the truck resting on the axle stand and the axle should drop enough to get the spring out. Watch you dont strain the rubber brake pipe as the axle lowers. The shock absorber (damper) will have to come off too. Might be an idea to soak the nuts n bolts in penetrating fluid for a couple of days before you start - the nut on the bottom of the shocks can be a joy if they have rusted.......... Be careful undoing nuts and bolts while the truck is in the air - think safe!

Good luck
Paul

Eat Drink Play, After death there is no pleasure.
Old January 30th, 2009, 06:40 PM
johnpiero
John Brancato
none

Thanks Paul....i look forward to the project and appreciate the info
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 30th, 2009, 07:37 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Paul covered everything, but I just wanted to add one thing. If you don't have just enough drop(I can't remember if it was front or rear when I did it) I just used the bottle jack on top of the axle to "force" some more droop. again, Beware of the brake lines if you do this.

l8r,
Bill
Old January 30th, 2009, 07:46 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Its best to jack the truck up and support the frame with jack stands (unless you have two floor jacks one for the frame and one for the axle). Put a jack under the axle and jack the side of the axle you are working on up enough to partially compress the spring. This way you can safely loosten the lower nut on the shock without the axle dropping. With the shock removed and the axle lowered the spring should fall out. Limiting factors will be whether or not you have a front sway bar and the brake line. Don't let the axle hang from the brake line.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 30th, 2009, 08:51 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

used my two post lift and a spring compressor. Makes real easy work of it. You can borrow the tool from the auto parts store. If you have a friend with a lift...or even a friend of a friend that needs a case of beer..

Working on the ground sucks
And I love you too
Old January 30th, 2009, 09:00 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
jack the front up put jack stands under the frame. I left a tire on one side and used the bottle jack to lower the opposite side down. I did use a pry bar to get the spring out but it didnt take much work to get out. When I put my OME on all I had was a high lift one bottle jack and two jack stands. If I have a fork lift I am willing to bet I could change the springs on a Defender in about an hour, Ive done the rear springs in under 30 minutes.
Old January 31st, 2009, 01:44 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

I've also used ratchet straps as spring compressors in the past with good success.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old January 31st, 2009, 06:23 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Definitely go to an autoparts store and borrow a set of spring compressors. It will make your life much easier and most auto parts stores have a policy of borrowing - you just buy them and if you bring them back within 60 days you are refunded everything. I've done this with Autozone a number of times.
Old January 31st, 2009, 09:17 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

You don't need a compressor on these though. I did all four on my 110 without a compressor and I installed OME HDs (don't know what the number is though).
Old February 1st, 2009, 12:02 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
You don't need a compressor on these though. I did all four on my 110 without a compressor and I installed OME HDs (don't know what the number is though).
agreed. I have done a lot of these on 90's and 110's and never used a spring compressor & I have three inch lift springs. takes about 45 mins for each of the fronts about 20 ea for the rears.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old February 1st, 2009, 05:35 PM
hutch
Hutch
97 AA Yellow D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
agreed. I have done a lot of these on 90's and 110's and never used a spring compressor & I have three inch lift springs. takes about 45 mins for each of the fronts about 20 ea for the rears.
Wow honestly I don't know how I could have done it without compressors. Rears were easy - the fronts were tough. I've put the same setup (2" RoverTym springs) in a 95 and 97 D90. Even with the tricks mentioned in this thread it was still a battle. Good to know I suppose!
Old February 1st, 2009, 07:56 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Where in NY? If you are close to the City and doing work over the weekend, lemme know...I'd volunteer to help if you want...hit me at nadimsamara AT gmail DOT com

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Where in NY? If you are close to the City and doing work over the weekend, lemme know...I'd volunteer to help if you want...hit me at nadimsamara AT gmail DOT com
Just read that they are installed...well, if anything comes up in the future...

Cheers,
Nadim
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions