How to bypass Hazard Switch (to keep your turn signals) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 24th, 2013, 05:05 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
How to bypass Hazard Switch (to keep your turn signals)

Recently had to pull my NAS hazard switch, and I know many in the past have experienced issues with this switch itself (it seems to be a common failure point these days).

Anyhow, I figured out how to "jump" the switch once it's removed so you can retain your left & right turn signal functions using the indicator lever/stalk on the steering column. Essentially, what you have to do is jump the 2 bottom female terminals (as seen in the 2nd photo) on the hazard wiring harness...and voila, you have turn signals again!

This was plaguing me while I worked on my switch as I don't like to drive without turn signals, so grabbed the multimeter and set to work.

Hope this helps someone else as well...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4269 - Copy.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	109.8 KB
ID:	86653   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4287.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	89.1 KB
ID:	86654  

'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2016, 08:32 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

My hazards and my turn signals don't work, symptoms just like Jason described. I tried his jumper, but it didn't work. All the fuses in the box behind the shifter are fine.

Any other ideas that you guys can suggest?
Old November 13th, 2016, 08:56 AM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Did you check the turn signal stalk/switch?
Advertisement

Old November 13th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by loykd View Post
My hazards and my turn signals don't work, symptoms just like Jason described. I tried his jumper, but it didn't work. All the fuses in the box behind the shifter are fine.

Any other ideas that you guys can suggest?
Flasher relay would be my starting point. Relays are switches and the contact points burn.
Once had an issue where nothing worked on my 110 and the flasher relay was full of water, small price to pay for being able to drive through 5 feet of flowing water.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 13th, 2016, 10:38 AM
loykd
Ken Loy
1994 Portofino Red ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Flasher relay would be my starting point.
Where's the Flasher Relay?

I'm doubtful that it's the turn signal stalk.
Old November 13th, 2016, 01:48 PM
DC_Bear
Bear
1984 Nintey

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by loykd View Post
Where's the Flasher Relay?

I'm doubtful that it's the turn signal stalk.
Mine (1984) is behind the fuses, inside the panel in front of the shifter. I think in newer models, which use more relays, they put some relays behind the instrument panel (in front of driver).
Old November 13th, 2016, 05:35 PM
Sandy Landy
RCer
97 Defender 110 300TDI S

Signal flasher on my 97 110 300tdi 3door is behind the instrument panel....i just came upstairs, could have taken a pic for you, can still do tomorrow.

It might be the flashing unit indeed, but check fuse too, if blown..check for short before replacing.

My 89 CSW 200tdi had it within the fuse/relay compartment.... yours might be behind the instrument cluster, I will be relocating mine for easy access.
Old November 13th, 2016, 10:54 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
Recently had to pull my NAS hazard switch, and I know many in the past have experienced issues with this switch itself (it seems to be a common failure point these days).

Anyhow, I figured out how to "jump" the switch once it's removed so you can retain your left & right turn signal functions using the indicator lever/stalk on the steering column. Essentially, what you have to do is jump the 2 bottom female terminals (as seen in the 2nd photo) on the hazard wiring harness...and voila, you have turn signals again!

This was plaguing me while I worked on my switch as I don't like to drive without turn signals, so grabbed the multimeter and set to work.

Hope this helps someone else as well...
Jason, fyi if you present the vehicle for state inspection in va and if the inspector is doing his job not just licking and sticking, you will fail state if hazards do not work.
not bursting your bubble, just a heads up...
Old November 14th, 2016, 04:03 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
Jason, fyi if you present the vehicle for state inspection in va and if the inspector is doing his job not just licking and sticking, you will fail state if hazards do not work.
not bursting your bubble, just a heads up...
Not bursting my bubble, this original thread was meant to be a "temporary" or on-the-road fix to a common NAS problem with its frequent hazard switch failure issue. Just to bide folks time to diagnose by either disassembling & clean/lubricate the internals of the existing switch, source a new switch (tough these days since it's NLA), or change over to the Carling Hazard setup.

My switches all work as they should, quite frankly a Rover probably requires use of its hazards more than any other vehicle .

In my situation the switch disassembly/clean/lubricate worked, but it's a finicky job. Seems like many folks swap over to the Carling ultimately (which is why I came up with the NAS to Carling Hazard Center Dash Face Plate).
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
signal, switch