How to affix carpet? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 8th, 2004, 12:13 PM
NASD90
T B
None any more

How to affix carpet?

Hey;

I've decided to install carpet in the back tub (and later the front) of the 90. I got some marine carpet, and some of that heavy sound dampening rubber mat. Has anyone done an install like this? What should I use to put this down? I was thinking of just siliconing the heavy mats down, along the edges, then actually bolting the carpet down on the edges, using no glue on it. while this would produce unsightly bolts, I figured this would be a cleaner install than using carpet glue? If I was to use glue, which would I use?

Defender owners put their carpet through more rigors than most other cars, so I'm sure the installation would be similarly involved.

Thanks,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2004, 12:18 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Depends on the model. The 97 station wagon capet is held on the wheel wells by the seats and floor is held by the center console and a trim peice in the back which seals the rear door.

I put down Brownbread for noise insulation and left the carpet alone. You're going to want to clean it and remove it at some point, so why put so many holes into your floor where moisture and what not could ingress? I remove my carpeting and just use the HD rubber mats front and rear then put them back after I get home.

Several members of the board have put rhino lining down in their trucks. Another option to consider that would require the leat amount of maint.

EwS
Old September 8th, 2004, 12:51 PM
NASD90
T B
None any more

I should probably add this to my profile, but it's a 94 ST. I decided for carpet against a spray in liner as it's not as permanent, and I don't do much off roading on trails per say, only to get myself to far off places, so comfort was a factor in choosing carpet.

Does anyone have pics on how the 97 station wagon carpet is affixed? the metal trim bar would work in the back, but on the sides and front... no idea.

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 8th, 2004, 01:29 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

I would buy a fiber base material that's fairly stiff, form it to fit snugly over the area and glue on the carpet to that. You will attach the entire thing to the body with velcro. Glue down some 1" wide velcro strips in strategic areas and match tha same to the fiber in a perpendicular pattern. You can try to match the velcro strip for strip if you like but it'll be difficult to get it perfect. Use one long strip on the body and two or three short ones perpendicular to it on the fiber.

You don't want to glue mats down permanently. Eventually you'll want to remove them for cleaning, repair or check for water.

You can even do this as separate pieces lining the floor, the sides and the tops in the rear. Simply fold over the panels where appropriate (extend the carpet) and velcro them down.

If you like you can sew vinyl trim on the edges to make it real nice.
Old September 8th, 2004, 07:18 PM
mlw911
Michael Walter
1995 D90 ST

Chris:

I re-did the seat box's and front foot wells in that same lowes marine carpeting. It looks great and provides some sound deadening. I used spray on silicone glue but applied it in fairly small lines along edges. This way if I want to ever remove the carpet, it won't be too much cleanup. I also used several discreet, black, plastic plugs to snap the carpets firmly in place in tougher areas. The factory vinyl on the side of the boxes uses several of these to hold the stuff up. Glue works great. I used it sparingly to re-do the vinyl all in the back of the car and it really holds the stuff in place.

Michael

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions