How straight is a typical Defender frame? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 21st, 2009, 05:34 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
How straight is a typical Defender frame?

I have a frame that is tweaked from a roll-over. I was considering using it as a basis for my trail-rig frame swap since it's current frame has some rust issues, and I have no qualms about cutting up a D90 frame that needs some slight repair.

I got the frame up on on my frame dolly, and upon initial inspection one rail appears to be racked about 0.125" - 0.250" higher that the other over the length of the frame. Like as you go from the rear A-arm cross-member to the front cross-member there appears to be an on overall increase in one rail as compared to the other. The width of the frame appears to be consistent over the length of the frame +/- 0.125"

I could see this discrepancy being a result of the manufacture of these frames, or a result of being on a truck that has been driven and seen the stresses of being driven and experiencing torque loads from the suspension and drive train. Oh, and I'm well aware that these trucks are well, less then precise in their body fitment.

So I guess what I'm asking is for the guys who have had these things down to the bare frame, what kind of frame dimension discrepancies have you seen in both new and used frames?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2009, 05:56 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Dude,

You have a remarkably straight frame. They come all over the place. I swear that beer is heavily involved in the building of these trucks. With what you have, I wouldn't worry at all about running it.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old August 21st, 2009, 06:08 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Galvanize it...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 21st, 2009, 06:46 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Galvanize it...
Oh just you wait....

[img]images/smilies/pimp2.gif[/img]

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Dude,

You have a remarkably straight frame. They come all over the place. I swear that beer is heavily involved in the building of these trucks. With what you have, I wouldn't worry at all about running it.
I'm not really concerned about running it, more so just curious how out of whack these things are, especially from new.
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:13 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I don't have a frame machine to tell you, but based on the varying number of shims used on trucks, I am going with not very.
Old August 21st, 2009, 08:24 PM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
ya know the frame was probably more crooked before the roll.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 06:14 AM
Hoosier
Chris Hinkle
More than I need

Frame sounds pretty good, but you should know that the d90 workshop manual shows dimension variation of about 2mm or less for all dimensions.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 04:17 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier
Frame sounds pretty good, but you should know that the d90 workshop manual shows dimension variation of about 2mm or less for all dimensions.
2mm per ???? Can't be entire lenth of the frame. Thats .0787 varience per 12 feet or whatever the lenth of the frame is. You can't hold that on almost anything on earth.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:02 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter

Registry
Well I just busted out the trailer straps and ratcheted the thing down to my frame dolly, that alone appears to have leveled it out. With the ball-peen hammer I was able to knock a bunch of bumps into shape.

I do have a copy of the factory frame "dimensions." I say "dimensions" because based on the weld quality on this thing, amount of slag, even missed welds, and such present, I'd say that tolerance is almost impossible. I have a feeling those are the jig dimensions they're using. As to what Buck was saying, whoever welded this particular frame was having a bad day, was shitfaced, or for whatever reason didn't give a fuck.
Old August 22nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle
As to what Buck was saying, whoever welded this particular frame was having a bad day, was shitfaced, or for whatever reason didn't give a fuck.
You just described every Defender ever made!

I swear that if Toyota bought LR and took one look at the fitment quality of the Defender, they would fall on a sword. Ah well, it adds to the charm.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht