How often to change air filter NAS D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 19th, 2014, 11:24 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

How often to change air filter NAS D90

Thanks to all who advised my on my prior inquiry regarding oil changes.

Just made a spreadsheet of the service history of my 95 NAS D90 including everything done by the 4 prior owners. I'm going to do the oil and filter changes myself. Oil changes every 3000 miles (no off road, suburban driving), filter changes every 1000 miles as per recommendations by some on this board. Using Mobil 1 0W40 (used by PO) and a Wix large capacity oil filter.

I've just read the original manual that came with the truck but didn't see any info on how often the air filter needs to be changed. Also searched on this forum without an answer. How often does the air filter needs to be changed if I drive on pavement solely?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2014, 11:40 PM
honda50r
Alex
1998 Discovery

Registry
For what it's worth, there won't be a huge amount of debris from on-road driving. Don't sweat the maintenance of an air filter so much. Clean it out every oil change and replace it on every third oil change. Like I said, don't sweat the small stuff. There will be more pressing items soon
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:01 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Who is saying to change the oil filter every 1k miles? That seems a bit excessive. Land Rover recommends changing the air filter every 30k miles, but I do mine more frequently just based on how dirty it looks.
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2014, 12:18 AM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Thanks Alex. Will do.

------ Follow up post added July 20th, 2014 12:21 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
Who is saying to change the oil filter every 1k miles? That seems a bit excessive. Land Rover recommends changing the air filter every 30k miles, but I do mine more frequently just based on how dirty it looks.
I remember reading through many of the oil change threads and at least 2 members advocated "in between" oil filter changes every 500 to 1000 miles. I'd take your advice as you work on Rovers. Would you limit oil filter changes to only oil changes?
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:00 AM
Rommel
Rolf
94/95/97 Many

Oil/air

If your going to change your oil every 3k (good idea) I would not waste the money on Mobile 1 any good non synthetic oil will do.Mobile 1 was not designed for 3k changes,more like 10k and that's not a good idea in a Defender.Air filter just remove clean,blow out and change when it looks like it needs it.Just my opinion.
Rolf
Old July 20th, 2014, 10:49 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ymc226 View Post

I remember reading through many of the oil change threads and at least 2 members advocated "in between" oil filter changes every 500 to 1000 miles. I'd take your advice as you work on Rovers. Would you limit oil filter changes to only oil changes?
My opinion is not the end all be all, but I don't see the need to change the filter in-between oil changes. Maybe those suggesting it have done some oil analysis which is why they say it. As long as there is oil in it and you change it somewhat regularly you will be fine. FWIW I change my oil and filter every 3k with a Genuine filter and Rotella 15W40. There is no need to overanalyse oil changes.
Old July 20th, 2014, 11:26 AM
samer0214
Samer Hijazi
1997 P38 Vitesse

Registry
I have personally never heard of anyone, or seen a recommendation on changing oil filters every 1,000 miles, or in between oil changes at 3,000 miles intervals, on ANY car even high performance high revving engines. That is simply such a waste of money and time.

The same filter you use at 3,000 mile intervals with standard grade oils, can be used at 7,000 mile intervals with synthetic oils, while still maintaining good filtration properties. As was said above, do not over analyze oil changes, just pick an interval and do it religiously changing both oil and filter at the same time. My personal practice and recommendation for high mileage vehicles is to do it every 3,000 miles using quality regular grade oil or semi-synthetic oil and a Wix filter.
Defenderless, for now!
Old July 20th, 2014, 12:21 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

To be clear on the recommendation, if you have a defender that has had regular oil used for its life and decide to switch to synthetic, it is my personal recommendation to do filter changes at 1000 miles until the filter is no longer "heavy" with gunk when removed. The amount of build up synthetic flushes out is quite extensive. My personal experience only. YMMV etc.

Air filter is 30k mile services so 30k or 3 years.
Old July 20th, 2014, 02:55 PM
ymc226
Lawrence
1995 D90 SW NAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
My opinion is not the end all be all, but I don't see the need to change the filter in-between oil changes. Maybe those suggesting it have done some oil analysis which is why they say it. As long as there is oil in it and you change it somewhat regularly you will be fine. FWIW I change my oil and filter every 3k with a Genuine filter and Rotella 15W40. There is no need to overanalyse oil changes.
Thanks Jimmy, I re-read the prior posts and they only changed every 500-1000 miles just after a switch from regular to synthetic oils due to the increased cleaning power of the synthetics.

------ Follow up post added July 20th, 2014 03:00 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
To be clear on the recommendation, if you have a defender that has had regular oil used for its life and decide to switch to synthetic, it is my personal recommendation to do filter changes at 1000 miles until the filter is no longer "heavy" with gunk when removed. The amount of build up synthetic flushes out is quite extensive. My personal experience only. YMMV etc.

Air filter is 30k mile services so 30k or 3 years.
Thanks Ron, that was you that posted those recommendations in the older threads about oil changes. I just realized it was only when changing from non-synthetic to synthetic.

Just changed the oil for the first time this morning using Mobil 1 0w40 as you liked this oil in the past. Came prepared thanks to help on this forum with advice on how to avoid a major oil spill and only created a small mess.

------ Follow up post added July 20th, 2014 03:03 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rommel View Post
If your going to change your oil every 3k (good idea) I would not waste the money on Mobile 1 any good non synthetic oil will do.Mobile 1 was not designed for 3k changes,more like 10k and that's not a good idea in a Defender.Air filter just remove clean,blow out and change when it looks like it needs it.Just my opinion.
Rolf
Thanks Rolf, I'll change to a good non-synthetic oil after I use the 25 quarts I bought at Walmart. Any suggestions on what oil(s) to consider? I'd prefer off the shelf availability in places like Walmart where they sell 5 quart jugs.

Would it be sacrilege if the truck has always been on synthetic to change to Shell Rotella diesel 15w40 as it is about half the cost and I plan on changing every 3K miles?
Old July 20th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I change my air filter once every 1-2 years. It all really depends on use. How frequently you drive it, if you're in a dry & dusty environment or a wet one. The best way to find out how your engine is doing and how often you should be changing your oil is to do an oil analysis. I recommend Blackstone Labs. When I tested my oil it had been 5567 miles since my last oil change. Here is a link: Blackstone Oil Lab Report
Old July 20th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
When I tested my oil it had been 5567 miles since my last oil change. Here is a link: Blackstone Oil Lab Report
Keep in mind that is for a TDI, which is a much newer, modern engine. With normal use and proper condition 10000 miles is reasonable.

The V8s have much higher wear and oil contamination rates and need changing more often.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, nas