How much winch? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2004, 09:17 AM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

Hey Wicks whats the capacity of the winch in that picture? Any more info on it? I have been thinking of going old school for my winch and putting a PTO up front.
Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2004, 10:50 AM
Troys
Troy Smith
1995 D90 SW

Before I installed a winch on my truck I asked alot of people what they thought about their winches. Being the typical D90 owner I wanted the biggest and best.... I ended up getting a Warn 8274-50. It is and was a very nice unit. My probelm with it after I got it was that it far more winch than I would ever need. And the reported weight of 110 pounds is inaccurately low and does not include the fair lead or cable. Add those and you get complete set up for of just over 135 pounds. Not to bad for the workhorse that it is. Needless to say I sold it before I ever installed it. I continued my seach and got hooked on a S9000 Superwinch. Only after two friends burned up the motors in their XD 9500i's. Maybe its the cyclist coming out in me but my S9000 with sythetic cable and aluminum fairlead wieghs just under 70 pounds and has worked flawlessly ever since.

Troy
Old January 29th, 2004, 01:16 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

First, I am no authority on this subject. I have only used my winch to pull others out to this point. However, I just read an article on the Mile Marker winch that the military is using. This winch is powered by the power steering as opposed to the battery. Therefore no need to upgrade the battery and altenator. The difference is that the engine must be running. A Range Rover just won a competition in Africa which measures the shortest distance traveled between points as opposed to time. The Rangy used a mile marker winch. Do any of you guys have any experience with these winches?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 29th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
The legacy of Superwinch and Land Rover is indisputable.
This is one of those topics where there will be major differences in opinion and there really is no right answer as each has superior and inferior qualities. What I really want to know is WTF a relationship with Rover means to any of this. The one thing that I just plain don't understand is rover owners need to have genuine rover junk. There is nothing like this anywhere else in offroad rec. You don't see people spending massive amounts of money trying to keep all "jeep" or all "Toyota". No, you pull that crap out and run MOG axles or Dana 60's. Just cause rover had a superwinch means nothing other than they were the cheapest bid. Rover has made some pretty stupid design decisions just like all other auto manufacturers. The argument that they used one company over another is entirely irrelevant. A little off topic rant for you all

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:04 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Rover has historically cut corners on non "mission critical" components, in order to focus dollars and attention in the important bits.

I don't agree with overall degradation of LR products and their design choices because the statistics don't agree with it. Plus I am a proud owner of course.
Old January 29th, 2004, 03:07 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Michael, I like the idea of an old winch up there. You'd have to search around and see what's lying around, maybe have to rebuild one.

If you are going to get your hands on a old winch though, they don't have anything like the power of recent ones. Triple-blocking and ramping will become part of your ordinary winching process...
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:11 PM
benh
Benjamin Hillegeist
97' d-90 ST

I will have to throw my 2 cents in and vote the Husky. After spending much of my time wheeling in the mud down in Texas, you do quite a bit of winching. Prior to my d-90 I had a warn on my Yukon, and the Husky (on my d-90) has since out preformed my warn in all aspects.
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:19 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I have talked to a couple people I know and they told me to find an old PTO (Power Take Off from the T-case) because thats what they run. They can snap cables without even slowing the winch down so I don't have to worry about the winch being the weak point.

I have an old PTO winch and it looks exactly like the PTO winch in that picture. You can tell the one in your pic is PTO by the round bump coming out of the bottom of the right side. If you have any info on that pic it would help allot.
Thanks
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:23 PM
artm
Arthur Maravelis
97 SW

So...anyone know if an ARB can take a Superwinch/Husky? John Lee says no.

If not I may have a brand new ARB for sale soon! In which case, which bumpers take a Superwinch?
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:30 PM
Mike Hippert
D-90Slut/Stalker,SNLPres
94 D-90 Grinding Rover

I think they fit in the Rovers North bumper, RN also sells Husky winches so you might give them a call to see what else will work.
Old January 29th, 2004, 04:44 PM
benh
Benjamin Hillegeist
97' d-90 ST

Michael is right, the Rovers North fits the Husky. Great design and really well built
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:03 PM
mikeslandrover
Mike Hammond
110 200Tdi and a 2005 Scorpa SY250

Registry
I think the winch in the posted picture might be a fairy 5000 or something very similar. PTO winches are very cool as long as the engine is running, but then I don't think you could winch very far on just battery power alone.
A friend of mile runs a mile marker, slow but absolutely no overrun and it can pull all day, ideal for an extreem winch competition, synthetic rope is also very much easier to handle for the poor old "navigator/winch man" who spends most of the time hauling winch cables and tackle around the place.
Old January 29th, 2004, 05:30 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

SG will also hold a Husky
Old January 29th, 2004, 06:26 PM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

Michael, full info on that unit is here: http://www.fourfold.org/LR_FAQ/Serie...inch_6920.html

I have the RN winch bumer as well with my Husky and it is great. If I had my druthers I'd have the actual Superwinch bumper. The Mantec one is good also (fits the Husky) and continues to appear the most like a stock bumper which is great. The SG stuff looks like rally car stuff if you like that style. I also like the removeability of the brush bar on the RN/Superwinch/Mantec configuration.
Old January 29th, 2004, 10:04 PM
Quimbola
Josh
1994 #1695 Not stock.

Why doesn't somebody start a poll for what winch there using!! I would, but I don't have one, nor do I know all the options out there. ANYONE?
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:14 AM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

"they used WARNS on accident a couple of times."

How excactly was it an accident? Did someboyd just happen to drop five Warn 8274-50's on those Range Rovers? They didn't stop using them after 81', they were also utilized on the Defender 110 Ambulance in prior events and all other vehicles to 1989. I hardly believe that was an accident.

"I'm talking about factory Land Rover offerings spanning many years, starting with (yes ) Koenig and capstan-style winches, of SUPERWINCH (FAIREY) manufacture"

Keonig (or Keonig Iron Works for Houston Texas) IS and WAS not of Fairey manufacture. Fairey sold to Superwinch. Additionally, the capstan-style of winches also included, but are not limited to, the Capstan from Aeroparts Engineering Co, UK. As you can see, there were other winches that served the LR Series II, IIa, and III. The superwinch was just another flavor LR had to pick from.

"The legacy of Superwinch and Land Rover is indisputable."

The legacy is infact disputable. So is the Warn! Warn is now the primary winch sold under Land Rover, so one could arguably state that "The legacy of Warn and Land Rover is indisputable."
I don't think tossing a blanket statment like that is predicated on the all the facts, just opinion.

DJ
Old January 30th, 2004, 03:40 AM
wicks
Wicks
97 Defender LE SW #44

In no other vehicle forum would we find such lively, spirited debates on trivial issues. I love d-90.com.

leg·a·cy
n. pl. leg·a·cies
1. Money or property bequeathed to another by will.
2. Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: a legacy of religious freedom. See Synonyms at heritage.
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:27 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Hey Mike, look what you started! You never know what is gonna trip someones trigger do ya. With Warn and Superwinch both selling probably hundreds of thousands of winches, either one is going to do the job at hand. Something to consider is if you use a synthetic winch rope, the winches with planetary gears get pretty hot at the drum when winching in and they get extremely hot when winching out.
My synthetic winch rope has shown some sings of melting. Warn and Ramsey,(have we seen that name thrown into the fray yet?) are comming out with a synthetic rope with the first Xnumber of feet that is not of the type that will melt woven into the normal synthetic stuff, to solve this problem. $$$
Old January 30th, 2004, 11:49 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
. Something handed down from an ancestor or a predecessor or from the past: a legacy of religious freedom. See Synonyms at heritage.
Guys seriously, this is all very informative, but it has absolutely nothing to do with which winch is better. I mean think about this clearly for one second, Rover has a legacy with LUCAS as well.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old January 30th, 2004, 01:40 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Nice job Merriam Webster! Alright, alright, I'll abandon this petty squabble, but I'm going out with a bang! Bequeath this Wicks Ahhh, Just kidding.

By the way, I DID learn something so it wasn't a conversation in vain. I didn't know that Superwinch bought out Fairey & they produced the first electric winch for LR.

DJ

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch