How much $$ to replace rear cross member - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old December 19th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Nando Zorrilla
How much $$ to replace rear cross member

I know the part is about $400... what about the labor? Whats fair?

Old December 19th, 2007, 08:44 PM
1995 Defender 90 NAS
I think the part is about $350 from Rovers North. I have heard people say that spent $500 to $700 for the replacement. Depends on how rusty your truck is and how many connectors break when removing the old one..........

Old December 19th, 2007, 09:17 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
With extensions, the part is $450 or so the labor should be half a day or so. If it were me, I would buy a new frame.
*not legal advice*
Old December 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Jim C.
There were issues on the one that I did. First of all, the replacement was Euro-spec, so it needed some bracketry removed with a plasma torch. Secondly, the frame rail extensions travel up far enough that they interfere with the NAS fuel tank mounting brackets. I ended up having replacement brackets fabricated, which increased the cost. After all that, you need to carefully cut the old brackets off, and weld the new ones in place. Oh, and guaranteed, you will break most all of the bolts when trying to remove the rusty fuel tank skid, rear bumper, and just about everything else.

Umm.... Have fun!

Ooo... almost forgot. You need to consider the fact that the rear harness will interfere with the extension on the passengers side as well.
Old December 20th, 2007, 07:46 AM
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi
Usually a full day job at minimum X shop rate at your local Rover welding emporium.
Matt Browne new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions