How much smoke is too much?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 21st, 2016, 10:00 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

How much smoke is too much??

My 110 has a disco 200tdi with a 300tdi turbo and manifold. Last weekend I installed remanufactured injectors and I also swapped the turbo from my 300TDI classic because I suspected the turbo seals had failed. Result was a noticeable increase in power, however now I'm "rolling coal" anytime I am accelerating. The truck runs great but since I'm about to go on a long road trip I'm concerned about EGT since I don't have a gauge. Too late to install a gauge at this point.. For reference the injection pump fuel screw has never been adjusted from what I can tell since it still has the tamper protection on it. I also recently changed the timing belt and believe the timing to be correct. Just trying to figure out if I have anything to worry about or not...

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2016, 10:48 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
If you are rolling coal while on boost you should be worried about staying at full throttle for all but very short periods.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:05 PM
javelinadave
-
-

If you are rolling coal I would turn the fuel screw anti-clockwise a 1/4 a turn at a time and test drive between adjustments. That direction is going to yield a cooler EGT so a gauge really isn't required. I came back just over 1/2 a turn and my truck exhaust looks about as clean as a gas motor unless under serious acceleration.
Isn't rolling coal the new rage replacing train horns on a truck?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 21st, 2016, 11:08 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

That makes sense but I'm curious how it could be over fueling if the screw has never been moved. It's possible I have the timing slightly advanced after changing the belt, but does that have the same effect?
Old April 21st, 2016, 11:23 PM
javelinadave
-
-

The smoke is residual unburned fuel. If the timing was/is off I would guess you could have an issue like this. Lets see what some of the east coast old men have to say when they wake up tomorrow morning. It is currently way past their bedtime now...... warm glass of milk, Metamucil and all.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:06 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
The boost pin has probably been adjusted.

Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:12 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Blue or white smoke is unburnt fuel and you would look at retarded timing or spray pattern.

Too advanced and the diesel knock will be excessively and high rpm power will be down.

Black smoke is properly burnt excess fueling. If you are on boost at full throttle with black smoke EGTs will be too high after a short period

Old April 22nd, 2016, 12:13 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
A light haze is okay. "Rolling Coal" normally mean creating a black smoke screen.

Old April 22nd, 2016, 05:38 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Great post. If anyone knows of or happens to find a youtube simulating these conditions I'd be greatful.

Rolling Coal and blue/white/gray smoke is subjective to me and I never know. For instance, my old NAD had giant puffs at start up. When driving I could not see anything unless it was at night with headlights behind me. Then it looked like I was spraying the globe to rid us of Zika.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 07:41 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
My om617 creates a constant haze of white/grey smoke. It creates a small puff of black off the line. It creates a cloud of white smoke at startup. After valve adjustment I'm assuming my timing is slightly off or my engine is old and compression is weak.

I would start with a compression test warm to see what you are working with.

Old April 22nd, 2016, 08:26 AM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Great post. If anyone knows of or happens to find a youtube simulating these conditions I'd be greatful. Rolling Coal and blue/white/gray smoke is subjective to me and I never know. For instance, my old NAD had giant puffs at start up. When driving I could not see anything unless it was at night with headlights behind me. Then it looked like I was spraying the globe to rid us of Zika.
I agree it's subjective, that's why I don't know if I have a problem. My only frame of reference is my 300TDI Classic, which doesn't put out any visible smoke as you describe and has similar power. Maybe rolling coal is the wrong term, but it's definitely more than the other truck. Spray pattern shouldn't be an issue with new injectors and the truck has power at high rpm so I don't think timing is too advanced. I need a gauge for sure but no time to get one before the weekend. Compression check is a good idea, I might have time to do that.
Old April 22nd, 2016, 08:47 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Here you go...
Old April 22nd, 2016, 09:03 AM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
Like John said the boost pin may have been adjusted to try to counter the effects of a worn turbo and injectors. Why not see if you can adjust it to a happier spot. Don't eff with the timing or the max fueling screw until you confirm that the other settings are ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiftRover View Post
My 110 has a disco 200tdi with a 300tdi turbo and manifold. Last weekend I installed remanufactured injectors and I also swapped the turbo from my 300TDI classic because I suspected the turbo seals had failed. Result was a noticeable increase in power, however now I'm "rolling coal" anytime I am accelerating. The truck runs great but since I'm about to go on a long road trip I'm concerned about EGT since I don't have a gauge. Too late to install a gauge at this point.. For reference the injection pump fuel screw has never been adjusted from what I can tell since it still has the tamper protection on it. I also recently changed the timing belt and believe the timing to be correct. Just trying to figure out if I have anything to worry about or not...

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Present:
1960 SII 109"- "Red Square"
1984 90 Tdi- "Yamelo"
1988 RRC- "Chewbacca"
1987 RRC- "Chewy 2"
2008 RRS SC- "The Supersofa"

Past:
1959 SII 88"- "The Little Green Beastie" last seen in NY
1972 SIII 88"- "GreenHELL" now in NC
1988 90 "Eric the Half a Bee" half a truck, sold for parts
1991 RRC- never got a name- long since recycled
Old May 2nd, 2016, 04:02 PM
RiftRover
Mike Barnett

Found some time last weekend to mess with this. Took the boost pin out and it is not riding on the steepest part of the pin, so I don't think it has been rotated previously. But more importantly I found that the boost pipe from the turbo had a small crack in it right at the pump. This obviously changes the whole equation.. The star wheel was also turned in quite far, so once I repaired the boost pipe I started adjusting the the star wheel out to reduce smoke. So far I've gone 180 ccw and it is mostly smoking only when on full boost, and the rest of the time is closer to the "haze". Might still come out a little more. Fixing the boost pipe made a huge difference in the responsiveness, as could be expected...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2429412905.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	439.4 KB
ID:	148580  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions