How Much Did Your Rebuild/Restore Cost? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 15th, 2016, 04:03 AM
shogunade
Pete
2011 RR HSE

How Much Did Your Rebuild/Restore Cost?

The decision to finally get a defender has been made. Now, I'm in the early stages of evaluating how I should go about it.

I saw a lot of awesome rebuilds/resto's that were posted here. I don't have the ability to do anything close to that. So if I decide to source everything needed, I'd have to have a shop do all the work anyway.

I've also been to some of the vendors sites who do full rebuilds such as top hat. But with cost being my number one concern, it looks like this isn't the option for me.

So, my question is this: How much should I expect to put into sourcing one myself then restoring one to the point where it's driveable, safe and looks decent?

Any help is appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2016, 05:41 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Not really sure where to start with this.

Maybe the question is how much are you looking to spend, and what do you define as an acceptable end product?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2016, 06:12 AM
seaswood
Craig
Diesel

Registry
Figure the cost of the vehicle what ever you pay.
That will be the cost of the vehicle rebuild, if you fix everything repair things on the way!
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:13 AM
vtlandrover
Frank
1994 NAS Defender 90

There's no more costly way to go about getting into a Defender than having a mediocre one brought up to snuff... my strong advice is to spend the money up front on the best condition one you can find. And by all means, invest the short money ($100-300) on a pre-purchase inspection. There's plenty of people out there that aren't flippers - they're selling something that they've put time and money into, often at a loss, to pursue another project. The deals to be had are for people that can wrench it themselves. Otherwise, you're spending your budget on labor instead of the goods.

To quantify this with numbers, generally speaking, you should be able to get into a "driveable, safe and decent looking" RHD 90 for $18-$20,000; RHD 110 for $23-$25,000.00 - add a premium of $3-$5,000 for LHD. Naturally, these figures lack the "bling." Any local shop can add a roof rack, winch or big tires.

Just say no to rust.
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:14 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
From what I've heard, the range is $15-$80k.

Mine will likely be ~$40k when I'm done.
Old September 15th, 2016, 06:24 AM
dmljohnson
Dave
1984, D90,

Registry
Those things are like Boats...i stop counting...
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:07 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
As vt said find a nice one to begin with that doesn't "require" a rebuild and enjoy it for a few years while you determine what may need to be addressed short term and long term. Unless we're talking about bringing a regular defender up to blinged-out status in which case most places spend $20k+ on making it look fancy with 20" wheels etc, with ~$0 spent on the mechanicals to make it drive right.
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:16 AM
shogunade
Pete
2011 RR HSE

Thanks for all the replies. I think I now have a good ball park estimate of how much this new toy is going to cost.

While on the topic of cost, whats the value insurance companies are putting on these and whats the premiums look like?
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:17 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

"driveable" - probably nothing. Even the worst condition Defenders would probably be driveable to some extent.

"safe" - depends.

"looks decent" - depends.

Sorry, my friend, but your post is way too vague to provide answers. Post a photo of the truck you're starting with and a photo of the truck you want.
Old September 15th, 2016, 10:09 AM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Having just finished a refurb on a nice clean, very little rust, stock truck (1991 LHD 200tdi 110), I can pull some Numbers together for you. You can check out my build thread to see photos and see the before and afters. I paid around $28k for my base truck and spent another $30k in upgrades. It was not a cheap process but I didn't cut too many corners (leather seats, double layer sound dampening through out, AC install, etc) and I got very high quality work. Shipping was additional on top of this and I still need a sound system installed. The mechanics were upgraded and refreshed as needed but engine was not rebuilt (nor did it need to be).

Overall I'm good w my all in cost for a beautiful truck and it came in a lot cheaper than a top hat or Arkonik build. But then again, it was not a frame off restoration.
Old September 15th, 2016, 10:37 AM
shogunade
Pete
2011 RR HSE

I actually did read through your restore thread. Nicely done. I did have a few questions. Will shoot you a PM.
Old September 15th, 2016, 10:53 AM
Al Blue4.6l
Allen
2006 LR3

Good thread. I think it's helpful to know some general ranges of what you can expect for what money so that those of us who are new a this can figure out a budget and what they can expect.
Old September 15th, 2016, 11:31 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Budget a minimum of 20 thousand plus the vehicle. Also, be prepared to spend several thousand per year in maintenance and updates. Forever.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 15th, 2016, 11:58 AM
shogunade
Pete
2011 RR HSE

Also have one more important question maybe someone who's either done it or can ballpark: it's a 110 crew cab or bust for me and I don't know if I'll have the patience to wait for one in the conditon I want to come up. So, what kind of work would go into making a wagon into a crew cab if need be?
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:24 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunade View Post
Also have one more important question maybe someone who's either done it or can ballpark: it's a 110 crew cab or bust for me and I don't know if I'll have the patience to wait for one in the conditon I want to come up. So, what kind of work would go into making a wagon into a crew cab if need be?
You didn't mention the starting point for the resto-mod - A 1984 90 will cost more to convert than an already built up 1991 110 CSW as the condition of the starting point weighs heavily on the labor time needed in disassembly, and the parts costs when everything is rusted or rotted out.

Budget $60k for the restoration - and if things work out you may have money left over for accessories...

$20k in paint and body swap labor
$20k in parts for the body conversion (lots of hardware, brackets, headliner, seatbelts, rear bulkhead, roof, window, etc...) and repairing/rebuilding ancillary systems not counting the engine (electrical, batteries, steering, brakes, axles, etc...)
$20k for an engine and chassis replacement

Paint can be $5k or $25k - depending on who does the work, GOOD paint and labor are expensive once...

We've done body conversions for $5k without paint

We've done complete TDI engine upgrades on trucks without paint for $20K (complete drivetrain is correct spec for future parts ordering - NOT cobbled together solutions)

Chassis replacement, repower, axles, and ancillaries are what I'd spend on first, paint and body configuration are nice, but event the best looking truck is only a project if it doesn't do the basics - in order of importance to me: stop, steer, roll, transmission, engine, transfer-box, legalities, suspension, electrical, safety, comfort, cosmetics

Hope it helps, not an optimistic or inexperienced estimate but one based on ~34 or so trucks and owners through the shop this year, and my own trucks and projects as well
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:26 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
You may be best to throw a number out there for what your budget could be, and your'll get responses back telling you it could be done, it may be possible, or you're insane.

Ultimately, you need to start off with as good a truck as possible, solid, mechanically sound, as few mods as possible. 1 owner trucks (if you can ever find one) are worth looking for as then you know the entire history, kinda golden unicorn though.

If you are looking for a 110 double cab, and you are working with a budget, you'll need patience to find the right one. If your budget is "Hollywood dollars" you'll be able to get anything you want.
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:35 PM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDN38 View Post
Ultimately, you need to start off with as good a truck as possible, solid, mechanically sound, as few mods as possible. 1 owner trucks (if you can ever find one) are worth looking for as then you know the entire history, kinda golden unicorn though.
Or not - if the end result is not meant to be an original truck restored to all it's 1980's glory, but is instead going to be repowered, and painted, and converted to a double-cab, and the seats will undoubtably be replaced, and the interior will need re-done, etc... It's more cost effective to find the best of the worst possible trucks at the absolute lowest possible price and plan to replace everything. Any parts that are salvageable are a bonus that way, but the time saved in trying to restore worn out, crusty, and rusted together parts can be huge.
Old September 15th, 2016, 12:36 PM
CDN38
Scott Pelly
2000 110 TD5

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybluett View Post
Or not - if the end result is not meant to be an original truck restored to all it's 1980's glory, but is instead going to be repowered, and painted, and converted to a double-cab, and the seats will undoubtably be replaced, and the interior will need re-done, etc... It's more cost effective to find the best of the worst possible trucks at the absolute lowest possible price and plan to replace everything. Any parts that are salvageable are a bonus that way, but the time saved in trying to restore worn out, crusty, and rusted together parts can be huge.
...all depends on how deep your wallet is.
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:05 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Do an ECD dream truck mock up and discount it 25%. 25% is less than the margin they're shooting for but you won't be as efficient as they probably are. If you get close to that and at the same level of workmanship you'll be golden.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 15th, 2016, 01:10 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

To do a simple paint restoration, the right way by removing panels, stripping and then re-assembly is easily 10k...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild