How Much Did Your Rebuild/Restore Cost? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old September 15th, 2016, 12:12 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1986 Tithonus LHD

Buy a Perentie and slap a double can body on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2016, 12:47 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Do an ECD dream truck mock up and discount it 25%. 25% is less than the margin they're shooting for but you won't be as efficient as they probably are. If you get close to that and at the same level of workmanship you'll be golden.
Is it the terriblefirma suspension or the smitty built winch that sold you on the workmanship?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2016, 01:35 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Is it the terriblefirma suspension or the smitty built winch that sold you on the workmanship?
Good catch. Poor choice of words [workmanship] my part cause I don't have any personal knowledge.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 15th, 2016, 03:05 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
Buy a Perentie and slap a double can body on it.
Bamm !

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Land Rover Shipment and Importation Service
Bespoke Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old September 15th, 2016, 03:35 PM
AdamSanta85
Adam
1991 D90 SW

Registry
I'll be about $35k all said and done turning the wrenches myself. That's for truck, all parts, with everything done the way I want it. (aside from LS swap). Nearly finished... just a couple more bits to go.
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:02 PM
kurtisblo
Kurt
1991 Defender 110, LHD 200TDI

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamSanta85 View Post
I'll be about $35k all said and done turning the wrenches myself. That's for truck, all parts, with everything done the way I want it. (aside from LS swap). Nearly finished... just a couple more bits to go.
Nice work!!! That's a lot of labor savings. I'm jealous of the skillz, knowledge and the time.
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:15 PM
vrivas
Victor Rivas
1994 D90

Try to find something already done, you'll save a lot of time and money. If you have the time and money then go for it. It's a awesome project to do, just be patient and be prepared to go way over budget. Sorry I can't comment on my cost. I have to be careful in case my wife ever does a search on here!
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:22 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Someone told me on here 10 years ago, if it makes you happy stop keeping track of the money, it will only drive you crazy.
Probably the best advice I got.
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:31 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I have probably spent $200k on rover stuff and I have an unrestored NAS D90 and a pile of parts.
Old September 15th, 2016, 08:37 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
I have probably spent $200k on rover stuff and I have an unrestored NAS D90 and a pile of parts.
Come on, you did get that 4K back from me!
Old September 15th, 2016, 10:01 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
Come on, you did get that 4K back from me!
The fact that I sold a running, titled 110 with a usable frame for $4k says a lot about me. Mainly that I would import an entire 501UKP defender for a winch which I could not get to fit my truck. LOL
Old September 16th, 2016, 05:12 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I tell that winch story all the time.
Old September 16th, 2016, 05:33 AM
ezzzzzzz
Mark Garrenton
'71 IIA 88 LS1 coiler, '84 110, +++

The joys of Land Rover ownership. This reminds of the young fella that told his dad he was thinking about getting married. When he asked how much it cost his dad replied "I don't know, son. I'm still paying"!
Old September 16th, 2016, 06:58 AM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij View Post
The fact that I sold a running, titled 110 with a usable frame for $4k says a lot about me. Mainly that I would import an entire 501UKP defender for a winch which I could not get to fit my truck. LOL
Lol - that's awesome.
Old September 16th, 2016, 07:23 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
Someone told me on here 10 years ago, if it makes you happy stop keeping track of the money, it will only drive you crazy.
Probably the best advice I got.
Amen brother!
Old September 16th, 2016, 07:39 AM
Azarur
AZ
LR 1984 110

I've spent almost three years, more money than I paid for my house, every brownie point i had ever made with my wife, about 500 hours of my time, lost most of my hair...

For some objective numbers:

- Paid about $30k for the LHD base diesel truck

The "must haves"
-$2,500 to rebuild the 200 TDi
- $25,000 to remove all panels, strip them down to metal, prime and multi coat metallic paint
- $3,000 for the frame and galvanization
- $4,500 for all around disk brakes and new lines
- $3,000 miscellaneous cooling, oil leaks, exhaust insulation, etc.

The "nice to haves"
- New tranny R380 (the old one was probably fine, but reverse was whacky and it was tough to find first gear): $2,750
- A/C unit and install: $3,000
- New puma, heated leather seats: $4,500
- New rims and tires: $2,000
- New carpet and headliner: $3,000

The "what the hell where you thinking"
- All kinds of electronics, gadgets, parts that I have no clue where they are, two spare tire covers (neither of which I'm using), one new steering wheel (then rebuilding the old steering wheel because i didn't like the old steering wheel), dynamat everywhere, center console I, Center console II, center console III, back to center console I, move second row seats back, fog lamps (why do I need fog lamps?), new headlights, new grille (i hate the new grille--what was I thinking??), take that winch off, someone sold me a heated fuel filter (ok, put it in there), one "la cucaracha" set of air horns from ebay, electric elevators for windows (after the kids were all like "what are these weird looking levers on the doors???), a ramp for our aging dog so she can get in the back of the 110, having to call the carpenter to raise the garage door in our house by 4 inches because otherwise the stupid defender won't fit, one sankey trailer (BTW, Gustavo, I still need to pick that up...), six bottles of fabreeze to try to get the smell of the spilled diesel of the carpet, three different antennas for FM radio (why can't we get radio signal in this godforsaken valley???) and 5 extra large bottles of Advil liquigels:
$ Can't tell you otherwise my wife will read it and I will have to go to the GI doctor to remove her shoe from my lower intestine.
Old September 16th, 2016, 12:53 PM
shogunade
Pete
2011 RR HSE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azarur View Post
I've spent almost three years, more money than I paid for my house, every brownie point i had ever made with my wife, about 500 hours of my time, lost most of my hair...

For some objective numbers:

- Paid about $30k for the LHD base diesel truck

The "must haves"
-$2,500 to rebuild the 200 TDi
- $25,000 to remove all panels, strip them down to metal, prime and multi coat metallic paint
- $3,000 for the frame and galvanization
- $4,500 for all around disk brakes and new lines
- $3,000 miscellaneous cooling, oil leaks, exhaust insulation, etc.

The "nice to haves"
- New tranny R380 (the old one was probably fine, but reverse was whacky and it was tough to find first gear): $2,750
- A/C unit and install: $3,000
- New puma, heated leather seats: $4,500
- New rims and tires: $2,000
- New carpet and headliner: $3,000

The "what the hell where you thinking"
- All kinds of electronics, gadgets, parts that I have no clue where they are, two spare tire covers (neither of which I'm using), one new steering wheel (then rebuilding the old steering wheel because i didn't like the old steering wheel), dynamat everywhere, center console I, Center console II, center console III, back to center console I, move second row seats back, fog lamps (why do I need fog lamps?), new headlights, new grille (i hate the new grille--what was I thinking??), take that winch off, someone sold me a heated fuel filter (ok, put it in there), one "la cucaracha" set of air horns from ebay, electric elevators for windows (after the kids were all like "what are these weird looking levers on the doors???), a ramp for our aging dog so she can get in the back of the 110, having to call the carpenter to raise the garage door in our house by 4 inches because otherwise the stupid defender won't fit, one sankey trailer (BTW, Gustavo, I still need to pick that up...), six bottles of fabreeze to try to get the smell of the spilled diesel of the carpet, three different antennas for FM radio (why can't we get radio signal in this godforsaken valley???) and 5 extra large bottles of Advil liquigels:
$ Can't tell you otherwise my wife will read it and I will have to go to the GI doctor to remove her shoe from my lower intestine.
Bahahahahaha!
Old September 16th, 2016, 01:10 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
And I still can't sell my truck for 32k!
Old September 16th, 2016, 01:10 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by shogunade View Post
Bahahahahaha!
Funny as hell + great therapy.

Old September 16th, 2016, 02:30 PM
evilfij
evilfij

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostChord View Post
Lol - that's awesome.
Did I mention that I have owned at least the following winches: vintage M8000, cheap harbor freight, Koenig PTO, Koenig crank driven, capstan, xd9000i, hs9500i, husky 8500, the fairey PTO and only three have ever been functionally mounted to a vehicle--each used once--the husky ground was bad and melted the cable and the XD9000i on the series killed the battery/engine as soon as I clicked the switch (alternator was bad) and when I used the PTO winch on Tom's truck after I imported it to demonstrate for Ren Ching in my back yard I forgot I had the handbrake on and it pulled down a 12ft shrub.
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
rebuild