How many quarts of oil?? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old June 6th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
How many quarts of oil??

I just changed the seal on my oil pan and the oil pick up and filled the car up with 10w-30 synthetic. After 6 bottles the dipstick read it was overfilled by almost 3/4 of an inch on the stick. I drove the car all day and it ran perfectly until a second ago when I started it in the driveway and got a really loud knocking noise out of the engine. I checked the dipstick again and it read almost no oil in the engine. The new oil is so clear I can't really tell where it is on the dipstick so I wanted to know how many quarts you guys put on your trucks for an oil change so I can ball park what my dipstick is actually saying.

Old June 6th, 2006, 10:41 PM
Stephen LeBlanc
1994 Defender 90
I just changed mine on Sunday and was thinking the same thing. After 6qts and running it for a minute or two the dipstick read LOW. I added a 7th quart and now it looks over by 3/4". So NO CLUE.

Old June 6th, 2006, 11:44 PM
Stephen Whitaker
1994 D-90
According to the manual, the V8 takes 5.1 liters; 5.66 liters (6 quarts) with a new oil filter. When I drained the oil cooler and put on new oil lines and filter, I had to put in nearly 7 quarts.
Old June 7th, 2006, 05:39 AM
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi
like it says in the owners manual "do not overfill engine oil as damage can occur" it also has that same statement written on some Rover dipsticks.

I had a customers truck in the shop that had blown the rear main seal after he changed the oil and put in 71/2 qts. Technically speaking I'm not sure why that happened but I think the point is that if your going to do your own maintenance, get some information about what your doing, or a shop manual, and pay attention to it before you dive in with the wrenches.
Matt Browne new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old June 7th, 2006, 07:05 AM
1995 SW #487/500
7 if you fill the filter all the way up
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Old June 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM
Barry O'Mahony
97 D-90 SW LE
The procedure for changing the oil, so as not to lose prime in the oil pump (in case there are any that bought used and may not have the manual), is to drain the oil pan, fill with new oil (about 6 quarts), then remove the filter. I then fill the new filter with oil a little at a time, until it absorbs it to mostly-full, which is about another half quart. Install the filter, run the engine, and check the level. Usually I need to put in a bit more, so my takes a total of 6.5 to 7 quarts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions