How Many of You have Broken an Axle? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

How Many of You have Broken an Axle?

Yesterday I decided to test my skills with some buddies down in Farmington NM. They were driving very modified jeeps and other rigs. If any of you have seen/been to Farmington, you know what I was in for. Well I figured out a few things. First and most importantly, I need more skills. Secondly, I need a stronger drivetrain. I was attempting to climb a rather technical section with large rocks and ledges when i heard the dreaded noise, SNAP. Then no power to the rear. I have Trutrac in the front and rear. I'm pretty sure it was my driverside rear axle. I drove home with the center difflock on about 50 miles and everything felt fine. I assume it was 3 wheel drive. Is it ok to drive this way while waiting for a replacement from rovertracks?

Any recommendations while I'm at it.

How many of you have also broken an axle? I'm interested in your story and what you did to fix the problem.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2008, 11:10 AM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Well you already did it so it doesn't matter now. I would have pulled the axle to inspect and remove the broken bits and be sure no pieces were left to float into the diff. You were front wheel drive only most likely as the TT would have zero resistance from the broken side, assuming a clean break, and not bias the power to the unbroken side.
Old April 20th, 2008, 12:32 PM
MontanaD90
Richard
95/ Defender 90 NAS

yeah Defenders have full floating axles which make it not that hard to pull them and make sure it is a clean break and there isn't small pieces getting in where you really don't want them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 20th, 2008, 12:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Welcome to rocks. They can be tough.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:04 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

If you have trouble removing the axel, you can press it through from the other side (just take out the other axel (it will save mucho time comipared to fiddling with magnets!). Something small in diameter so it can fit through the opening on the Trutrac. For on trail repair, I used my CB antennae.
Old April 20th, 2008, 03:52 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis
If you have trouble removing the axel, you can press it through from the other side (just take out the other axel (it will save mucho time comipared to fiddling with magnets!). Something small in diameter so it can fit through the opening on the Trutrac. For on trail repair, I used my CB antennae.
Very nice.

I pulled the passenger axle and it was a clean break right at the hub flange. Rovertracks will be getting a call in the morning. My front axle/cv's will be stock for now. Are they next to go?
Old April 20th, 2008, 07:02 PM
KevinNY
Kevin Buckley
1973 coiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
Very nice.

I pulled the passenger axle and it was a clean break right at the hub flange. Rovertracks will be getting a call in the morning. My front axle/cv's will be stock for now. Are they next to go?

Get his rear axles now and wait til his front's are back in stock, then buy them. Nothing like some piece of mind.
Old April 21st, 2008, 06:19 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I have once. In the rear. It was the second time I was out after the ARB went in. Replaced with GBR and never had another problem.
Old April 21st, 2008, 07:20 PM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

In this situation I personally would have also pulled the rear driveshaft. It's not a big job and then you have no torque going to the rear axle at all. I imagine that running only one driveshaft would increase the stress on the other one.

If other wiser individuals feel this is an unnecessary step I'd like to hear about that.

- Andrew.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 05:28 AM
paul c
paul critcher
85 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by aclarke
In this situation I personally would have also pulled the rear driveshaft. It's not a big job and then you have no torque going to the rear axle at all. I imagine that running only one driveshaft would increase the stress on the other one.

If other wiser individuals feel this is an unnecessary step I'd like to hear about that.

- Andrew.
driveshaft as in prop shaft? cant be any stress as there is no load on one side, like turning a shaft on bearings with nothing on the other end. best to remove the broken half shaft though.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:25 AM
aclarke
Andrew Clarke
1986 110 CSW 200tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul c
driveshaft as in prop shaft? cant be any stress as there is no load on one side, like turning a shaft on bearings with nothing on the other end. best to remove the broken half shaft though.
mdmccallum has a TrueTrac in his rear diff. So if the propshaft is still in place, it will be driving the one wheel that still has a half shaft going to it. The other side of the TrueTrac will be running with no resistance due to there being no half shaft, which places an uneven load on the TrueTrac. I guess from that point of view though having the propshaft/driveshaft off will still result in uneven loading on the TrueTrac as one wheel will be driving it but the other won't. You can't win

- Andrew.
Old April 23rd, 2008, 06:13 PM
paul c
paul critcher
85 110

as mentioned above the truetracs require some load on an axle to operate, if a wheel is spining freely it wont lock up, applying the brakes slighly will cause it to lock. as the axle is broken it cant be loaded, unless the broken ends are jagged and catch on each other, which is why it would be advisable to remove the broken pieces.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
axle