How long/how much effort to do an engine reseal? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:46 PM
1987 Defender 110 Ex Batus
How long/how much effort to do an engine reseal?

Hey folks,
My '88 defender 2.5 diesel is one leaky bastard and I was thinking of trying to reseal it over the winter. According to the inspection by the mechanics the oil pan gasket, rear main oil seal, transfer case (which they recommend a full reseal) and some fluid leaks from the transmission case halves. Even have a bit of a fuel leak. From my research some of these may be simply replacing the various gaskets, but could require quite a bit of engine work?

I'm wondering though how much effort/time is required for a project like this since this is new to me?

I'm a pretty new mechanic thankfully my buddy is going to be giving me space/access to tools but this is something brand new to me. I'm trying to judge the time required vs having someone do it come spring.
Some expert advice would be appreciated.

Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:57 PM
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43
Well, I don't know how much more/less is involved in resealing a 2.5 diesel vs a V8, but the seals you are referring to will require significant disassembly to R&R. Difficulty is all relative, to me it's just common sense and turning wrenches, but I've taken everything I've ever owned apart it seems like, some people are more intimidated by things like removing the transfer case and transmission.

If it is just the rear main and oil pan, you can get to those without much engine disassembly, but you'll have to remove the trans and transfer case, both of which you'll need out in order to replace the seals in them anyway.

If it were me and it were a V8, I would take this opportunity to tear it completely down and replace all the gaskets and machine the heads etc.
"I have taken more good from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me." - Winston Churchill

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions