How LONG have I got? Rust Opinions? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 8th, 2007, 08:18 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Pendy - I sent you a PM.

Mike at ECR - what chassis do you use in your documented GALV. chassis swaps. This DAP Richard's Chassis looks really nice........

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2007, 08:34 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

We use both Genuine LR and Richards chassis. We have been working with DAP/Richards for many years making the smalll changes to make those units perfect, and we are almost there on the 90 ones.
We also always have used 90 frames for sale, if you want to have one galv. yourself and save some $.
We also have a chassis that is good, but we cut the front of it off for a bumper jig, so it has a good rear section that you can weld to your frame. 200. or best offer.

Follow-up Post:

If you don't want to have a used frame galv. that deal from Pendy looks good to me (I just checked the classifieds). You should go that way if you want a new galv frame, that is a hard to beat deal. If I didn't buy'em wholesale I'd buy it myself.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 8th, 2007, 01:47 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Mike,

So if I did this chassis swap, how smooth is it? Your page makes it seem smooth and easy on the rest of the truck?

Is that true - or will it torque the hell out of the rest of the body. Will all the seals of my hardtop now leak and crack. Will the bolts holding the roof rock on be sheared off? Are there hidden things to be worried about........

Or is this really not that bad..........

Flagg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 8th, 2007, 02:02 PM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

It's a Defender not a Bentley Man! If your seals crack and leak it'll make it easier for the water to get out. I agree with Ron you might want to visit some series sites and get some perspective.

Here's one to start.

http://www.bayourovers.com/

or maybe you could post that question here and see what kind of a response you get:

www.orrp.com

Keith
Old May 8th, 2007, 02:09 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
There is some disassembly involved! When I did it, I had the truck broken down to the individual body parts so that each could easily be lifted and moved around. ECR Mike does it with a clever lift system where he can do the body all at once.

The only hidden things to be worried about is discovering that something you thought was useable turns out to not be, causing you to spend extra money or order a part.

I wasnt kidding about the chassis swap party. Buy the chassis, collect some parts over the next year, and we'll do it when I get back from overseas in summer 08!

I'm not trying to sell you Pendy's chassis. I think others should chime in so I dont sound like a salesman, I'm just trying to promote people's realization that Defender nirvana is acheivable in your own back yard.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:21 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
Mike,

So if I did this chassis swap, how smooth is it? Your page makes it seem smooth and easy on the rest of the truck?

Is that true - or will it torque the hell out of the rest of the body. Will all the seals of my hardtop now leak and crack. Will the bolts holding the roof rock on be sheared off? Are there hidden things to be worried about........

Or is this really not that bad..........

Flagg

Impossible to say. If you do it in a designed lift system like we do, everything in the truck is just like it was before, no broken seals or tweaked body and no extra work needed (unless it is something really bad like rusted fuel lines or something).
If you take it apart and do it piece by piece you will for sure find other things to spend money on that either need work or did not come apart well. (that is the reason we do the swaps the way we do, so that we don't get into a rats nest, and so we can get a Rover onto a new frame without getting into a restoration of it).
I'm not trying to sell you our services, but if you take everything apart you will have to line everything back up again and you will find other work to do, its just a bigger project doing it that way.

Either way, if done correctly, a new frame won't harm the body or roll cage or anything.

Old May 8th, 2007, 03:39 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
Impossible to say. If you do it in a designed lift system like we do, everything in the truck is just like it was before, no broken seals or tweaked body and no extra work needed (unless it is something really bad like rusted fuel lines or something).
So Mike,

Would it be too proprietary to divulge your lift points (or better yet share photos of the body in suspension and these lift points)? How much weight do you end up having to support? I'm eternally curious I guess (luckily I've no need for a frame swap at this point).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 8th, 2007, 03:44 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
So Mike,

Would it be too proprietary to divulge your lift points (or better yet share photos of the body in suspension and these lift points)? How much weight do you end up having to support? I'm eternally curious I guess (luckily I've no need for a frame swap at this point).

There are photos of everything on the web site.

Old May 8th, 2007, 03:57 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECR
There are photos of everything on the web site.
Yes, I have spent entirely too much time there over the years, and always enjoy the content. This was the best photo I could find of the body off frame experience though, and it was difficult to see where you attached lines for lifting. I figure the wrong places could mean significant damage very easily, that's why I was curious. Oh, by the way, congrats on your new facility!
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 8th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

How heavy is this chassis? How much are they to ship?

Mike - if I bought it now, stored it for a couple years, saved - and then had you do the swap and some other work on one of my trips to Maine, would that be an option?. Would you install a chassis brought to you?

That designed lift system really seems like the way to go.......

Flagg
Old May 8th, 2007, 05:00 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagg
How heavy is this chassis? How much are they to ship?

Mike - if I bought it now, stored it for a couple years, saved - and then had you do the swap and some other work on one of my trips to Maine, would that be an option?. Would you install a chassis brought to you?

That designed lift system really seems like the way to go.......

Flagg
Yes, we will install a chassis you bring us (as long as it is the same type we usually install, or another brand that actually fits). I wouldn't plan a vacation around a frame swap though... it might go smoothly or it might need to have a lot of other stuff done/ wait for parts. That all depends on each truck.
You can drop me an email for these types of questions, because I don't want to flood the board with ECR business related stuff. I'm happy to answer questsion, but don't want this to sound like a business deal on the public board.

As for photos. In the next frame swap we do I'll try to get some better pictures for the site.
We have already started on the new frame swap set up for the new shop that will be faster and safer for frame swaps, beacuse the current set up won't be coming with us. Its not rocket science though... I've seen the UK guys do it with a fork lift!

Old May 8th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

How heavy is this Chassis? How would one go about shipping it?

Flagg

Mike - You are right - I would not plan this around a vacation. I would drive it up and plan another way home, and back up to get it. If/when I am really going to do this, I will E-mail you directly. I understand you not wanting to make this board a sales pitch for your services.........Thanks for all your help to all the members
Old May 9th, 2007, 08:24 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Enjoy my chicken wing pose. No the basket is not supporting the wieght.

JP

Follow-up Post:

Flagg I'll bring the frame to you. I need to come out your way to pick up a truck. I move them around by hand all the time so we can put it where you want it if you want to store for a while.

Rent a forklift and set up the crib outdoors so the new baby can watch. The neighbors would love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Franks_007_(2).jpg
Views:	172
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	9273  

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 10th, 2007, 06:45 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Pendy,

I love that picture...........and your message. I will send you another PM.......

Flagg

Follow-up Post:

Mike Smith -

I sent you an email to tech@eastcoastrover.com. If it was not the correct address to reach you let me know. Thanks.

Flagg.
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:15 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
D-90 Source Vendor

info@eastcoastrover.com is the best address.

Old May 10th, 2007, 01:08 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

C'mon Flagg step up.

Go from this-------------------------------------------

To this------------------------------------------------
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ron_brown.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	9283   Click image for larger version

Name:	dodad_006_(3).jpg
Views:	130
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	9284  

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 10th, 2007, 01:25 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Build yourself a soap soap box derby racer . No equipment rental required.
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:31 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
nearby

Im up to helping if you are going to do it yourself Im just up the road from you. I know I will be looking at a swap in the future. So if you want help with any project I a willing to lend a hand for the learing.
Old May 10th, 2007, 08:57 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I've got no dog in the fight, but organizing a weekend chassis swap party is a project goal of mine. I want to organize it and document it for posterity. I dont really care whose truck is the subject, I'll supply the organization and labor for someone who'll pay for their parts and offer up the truck!
Old May 10th, 2007, 09:24 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Not sure how many people are needed for a project like this, but I'd fly in and lend a hand. Awesome chance to learn something outside of what I do day to day.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions