How hard is it to remove the gas tank - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:25 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani
95 D90 Soft Top Estoril Blue 6.2 LS

How hard is it to remove the gas tank

I need a new fuel pump. I have already removed the rear sway bar for off roading. Is it just the skid plate in the way? Do I need to remove the rear bumper? What size bolts? How is the tank attached to the truck? Can I remove this myself with the help of a friend or do I need to bring in a tow truck and send it to the pros?

Thanks,
Amit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:36 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

You can do it yourself. It would be helpful if you had as little gas as possible in it.
The gas tank is held in place by the skid plate and thats it. If you drop it, the gas tank will come down with it. What I have done in the past is run 2 strap tie downs on either side to hold the tank up in place while dropping the plate and then using a jack with a board on it, slowly lower the tank a bit. I dont think you will get to far unless you unhook the other connections like the filler tube, etc.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 20th, 2008, 02:51 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Assuming you have an NAS rear bumper...
You don't have to remove it, but it makes the job easier to have it out of the way....

Corroded skid plate bolts might cause some grief, too.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2008, 02:59 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I have heard that the European D90s sometimes have a panel in the bed of the truck that can be removed to access the fuel pump from the top without removal? Seems like a good idea.....

Flagg
Old May 20th, 2008, 03:30 PM
d901560
Brian B
94 ST

I've replaced the fuel pump several yesrs ago and it's not a fun job, though not very difficult. As I recall, I left the rear step bumper on and had to wiggle the tank out around it. I also raised the rear of the truck and put jack stands under the frame to give a little more room to work when disconnecting the fuel lines and filler hose. Make sure to try replacing your fuel pump relay before buying a fuel pump. Unfortunately that little piece of wisdom comes from personal experience.
Old May 20th, 2008, 04:45 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Where is the fuel pump relay on a '97 and how would I test it? I don't hear the pump prime at all when I turn the key to the on position. It just all of a sudden stopped starting. There was no warning.

Amit
Old May 20th, 2008, 06:51 PM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by defender1844
Where is the fuel pump relay on a '97 and how would I test it? I don't hear the pump prime at all when I turn the key to the on position. It just all of a sudden stopped starting. There was no warning.

Amit
On a '97, the fuel pump relay is part of a mulitifunction unit. It is under the hood, underneath the white plastic cover on the passenger side P/N: YWB100820LG. They are not cheap - $99.95 thru AB.

Before you replace it: (assuming your battery is good and that the terminals/cable ends are clean...)
Did you check the fuel pump fuse?
Did you try and reset your inertia fuel switch? (Push the button).
If that doesn't work try, by-passing it with a paperclip in the plug end. (If still no start, you've at least likely eliminated the inertia switch as the culprit.)

Next, try lowering the tank just enough to get to the fuel pump connector. Disconnect the fuel pump harness plug and run test leads directly from the battery to the fuel pump. (The fuel pump power wire is white/purple. Look at how the plug is oriented and you can figure out which pin on the pump you want to hook up to, along with the ground, of course.) If it works, then you've (most likely) eliminated the pump as the problem.
It may then be a wiring issue: either a short, a ground problem, or the fuel pump wiring harness plug itself.

If it is the plug...
Defenders don't have a separate fuel pump wiring harness - but apparantly, early Discos do and they use the same fuel pump plug. When the fuel pump plug end went bad on my 97 SW, I bought a Disco harness part, P/N YMT10050 and bastardized it for the plug end. (Thanks to Mike @ Westchester LR for providing this valuable tid-bit of info...)
Old May 20th, 2008, 09:26 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Great stuff Garth. I appreciate the info. THe fuel pump fuse under the hood is fine. I reset the inertia switch. I wish there was a way to check the fuel pump relay. I'll have to partially lower the tank and check the power to the plug. Fun, fun.
Old May 21st, 2008, 11:37 AM
GYM
Gary
97 SW

Amit:
Hmm, maybe you could borrow a relay, or even buy a used one as a spare. It might be worth it to check with some of the local Texas Rovers club guys in your area...
Old June 18th, 2008, 12:31 PM
defender1844
Amit Likhyani

Update: It was a bad wiring harness at the Fuel Pump. The truck is running like a bat out of hell now. I have a 4.6 block with a Rimmer Supercharger. While I know it's a time bomb for cylinders 1-2 it is running good right now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
gas, gas tank