Defender Source Forum banner

how hard is a 2.5n/a conversion to a 200tdi

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Ren Ching 
#1 ·
How hard is it. I'm looking to put a 200tdi, in my defender that has the 2.5 n/a diesel in it. I hear it is a straight forward switch for the most part?

#4 ·
I will add that it depends on what 200tdi you are planning to use.

A Defender 200tdi is simple, try to get everything you can from the donor including the radiator/ intercooler, glow plug harness, air cleaner and even the fuel filter if possible. Pretty much a case of pull the old, install the new and make a few slight changes to fuel lines and wires. Rover sold this option as a kit to upgrade the motor.

http://www.nicksjungle.co.uk/200 Tdi Conversion.html

Disco 200tdi requires additional bits that are custom, you can purchase them premade. I think you might run into issues if you want to go LHD. Many threads on the web that cover the mods that need to be done and where to buy the custom parts if you do not want to make them

#7 ·
disco unit will require custom exhaust and intercooler piping. Defender unit will slot right in and will all bolt up with factory parts.

#6 ·
If you have 100% of the parts needed on hand you could knock it out in a weekend but I always find I am missing something along the way :)

You might want to give some consideration to installing the defender version 200tdi or the 300 if you plan to resell someday as that may change the value

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.