How hard? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 6th, 2008, 07:07 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdb
Buck wrote "my under seat drawer and that thing is cool! "

Got any pictures? Sounds interesting.

Clark
I bumped the thread in misc for you.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2008, 07:40 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Buck...what scares me is that I have been thinking of the same thing (seeing how our trucks are built now, that doesn't surprise me though...):

Import a 1983 (25 year rule) D110 Hi cap from the UK, slit her up the middle to get a narrower rig somewhat similar to the biggies (48" wide?)...yet have winter cab protection and convertible at will (the Rover 1/2 cab can be unbolted quite easily)...

Am seriously considering it, and given that I did chop up the Disco (in the other direction), I think it won't be hard...some items that may bug would be:
  • The louvers under the glass may need to be eliminated as they may touch after the chop up
  • Don't foresee any hiccups with the center console area if you want to eliminate the HVAC items
  • Custom speedglass for the windshield
  • Wiper issues?
sounds good from my end...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old January 6th, 2008, 08:40 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscoDino
Buck...what scares me is that I have been thinking of the same thing (seeing how our trucks are built now, that doesn't surprise me though...):

Import a 1983 (25 year rule) D110 Hi cap from the UK, slit her up the middle to get a narrower rig somewhat similar to the biggies (48" wide?)...yet have winter cab protection and convertible at will (the Rover 1/2 cab can be unbolted quite easily)...

Am seriously considering it, and given that I did chop up the Disco (in the other direction), I think it won't be hard...some items that may bug would be:
  • The louvers under the glass may need to be eliminated as they may touch after the chop up
  • Don't foresee any hiccups with the center console area if you want to eliminate the HVAC items
  • Custom speedglass for the windshield
  • Wiper issues?
sounds good from my end...
Thanks. The idea really isn't bad at all. I don't know if I have the will for it right now though. I am enjoying wheeling too much! The way I figure it, if you run real seats, the skinniest you could go is 53", which is still mighty skinny. With mine the dash is not an issue at all. Vents would have to go, or it would be a lot of work. All that said, if you are starting from scratch, it would be great to dump the frame and do a light buggy in the 3-3.5k range.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2008, 08:49 PM
DiscoDino
Nadim Samara
1992 Disco "Dino"

Yeah - tempted to ditch the frame, but prefer to have the paperwork in order to ship the truck to he countries where I'll be living in, and having the truck as a 25 year old 1983 registered model would be easy(ier) to take it around...(as RPR did/does!)...

And yes, I fully understand and agree on "re-doing" isn't easy...the Disco has reached a max in my opinion, and can't do the RW/54" swap in it given the weak-ish Rover drivetrain and heavy-ish truggy chassis...
'04 Disco II stock
'07BMW G650X Challenge (farkled)
Old January 6th, 2008, 09:00 PM
JFD
Julien Dalbin
05 Tdi 90

After cutting, don't weld back together... pop rivet the all body in
the middle, one clean line, just like the most beautiful car evers,
old Bugattis.
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:38 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Ohhhhhh, you just meant to narrow the body. That's a whole different story. I was thinking you wanted to go the whole deal and narrow the track-width.

Actually, I don't think it would be that hard at all on a Defender since the body is so modular. It's nothing like an Early Bronco where you have to do the whole tub from front to rear including the radiator support. Just disassemble it all and do it one component at a time, and it shouldn't be too bad at all. The only tricky area I can think of is the bulkhead around the transmission.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions