How does everyone route their winch cables - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:33 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

How does everyone route their winch cables

I'm wiring up my newly installed winch and was wondering how everyone else is routing their power cables to the winch. I've installed a bracket on the ARB to mount one of the 150 amp quick disconnect plugs just to the drivers side of the winch.

I'm thinking of bringing the cables up through some grommeted holes in the underside of the front fender just forward of the inner fender liner and then up and over the inner fender keeping the cable outboard of the steering column and shock mount cover - then across the bottom of the footbox and along the top of the frame to the inside of the of battery box. This sound like what everyone else is doing? I'm using 1/O cable which is overkill but I'll be able to plug in a set of jumper cables without opening the hood or the battery compartment when I'm done.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:54 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

I went to the right of the radiator then up over the right inner fender and up over the shock mount cover on the inside of the engine compartment staying to the right of the steering column. I went under the body along the top of the frame and into the battery compartment. Zip tie everything out of the way and use the heavy gauge wire.

Oh, best tip I can give you it to run your winch wire through a small diameter garden hose. Avoid chaffing through that outer plastic and starting a fire.
Old September 4th, 2005, 12:35 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
I went to the right of the radiator then up over the right inner fender and up over the shock mount cover on the inside of the engine compartment staying to the right of the steering column. I went under the body along the top of the frame and into the battery compartment. Zip tie everything out of the way and use the heavy gauge wire.

Oh, best tip I can give you it to run your winch wire through a small diameter garden hose. Avoid chaffing through that outer plastic and starting a fire.
I believe what the Senator from Columbus, Georgia was trying to say is he ran the cable to the left (drivers side) of the radiator, up over the left (drivers side) fender,......etc.....etc.

I did about the same other than I zip tied it along the top of the frame and into the battery box under the drivers seat.

Ron, I hope that is what you ment....If not, I'll shut up now........
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 4th, 2005, 01:08 PM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

He was probably standing in front of the truck looking at it at the time... And anyone who knows him would realize that he would have a hard time going LEFT for anything...
Old September 5th, 2005, 03:45 PM
ronward
Redsrover
None - sadly

Good day Gentlemen... Yep, I was thinking of right and left in relation to standing directly in front of said vehicle. Thanks for the clarification, and Jack I'll see you this weekend.
Old September 11th, 2008, 04:41 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronward
That tip was worth doing a search! I'll go and get a piece of garden hose.

How did you end up routing your cable? I'm thinking about running along the frame but am a little worried about temperature ("melting") around the exhaust manifold. It is fair to say that
- the cable would be far enough to not run into issues
- heat shielding is necessary
- heat shielding is recommended

I'd go with heat shielding is recommended but not sure where to get some..... probably a local auto part store, I just never had to use any before.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:12 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had my winch positive cable short out and catch fire. Pendy told me to run the new one though heater hose. Its a little thicker than garden hose and should be impervious to most of the damage I can throw its way.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 11th, 2008, 06:27 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
I had my winch positive cable short out and catch fire. Pendy told me to run the new one though heater hose. Its a little thicker than garden hose and should be impervious to most of the damage I can throw its way.
Where did you get your (straight I presume) heater hose?
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old September 11th, 2008, 07:38 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
comes in rolls and is sold by the foot @ autozone, pepboys etc.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old September 12th, 2008, 09:38 AM
MonLand
Loic Fabro

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
comes in rolls and is sold by the foot @ autozone, pepboys etc.
Good call, went to Advanced last night and got a few feet of 3/4" heater tubing. Probably better than garden hose since those are resistant to a heat, chemicals, etc. that (hopefully) garden hose don't have to ever see.

I thought, heater and cooling hoses were only sold specific to a car (and with specific bends), I was wrong (and will know when to use that cheaper alternative, around $1.5/feet).

Thanks for the hint! Now.... I guess I need to remove the wire I installed already.... Or maybe I assume this will be the ground wire and does not need additional protection.
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
Old September 12th, 2008, 11:15 AM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Hot runs down the passengers frame rail then up and over the trans into the seat box. Negative grounds to the frame just behind the bumper.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
winch