Defender Source Forum banner

How do you Prime the oil pump??

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Roadsiderob 
#1 · (Edited)
I replaced the oil cooler lines and I think that is what caused the pump to loose its prime. I know you can take it off and pack it with Vaseline, but I also heard that you could undo one bolt and pack that full of Vaseline. What would you recommend me do? I am attaching two pictures of the bolts that I think are the ones. Could someone please let me know which bolt it is or if I should just take the pump off and pack it with Vaseline?

Picture One

Picture Two

How do you take the pump off and pack it with Vaseline?

I did have the motor running for about 10-15 seconds with out oil. Do you think I did any damage to the motor?

Russ

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
I have a 3.5 V8. I took the oil pump and packed the gear area with vaseline. I then reassembled. I then took out the distributor and saw the top part of the oil pump.

I then took a long rod with a slot cut in it and attached one end to a drill and the other fitted over the top of the oil pump gear. A minute or so with the drill and the oil pump was primed.

I am not sure if the newer 3.9 V8s have the same configuration.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.