How do you find actual production date? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old September 26th, 2011, 04:55 AM
bjlover
Andy
P38

How do you find actual production date?

Hello,

I am looking to purchase a defender and being an attorney which means I am neurotic, I read up on the 25 year rule and it actually goes by the build date from what I could gather. If I am wrong on this let me know. For example, many cars start selling "Model Year" 2008 with actual build dates in late 2007.

How do you find out the actual build date for the defender model you are looking at? From the VIN? The VIN plate?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2011, 07:58 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
If you're serious about buying and importing a Defender, then call Doug C "130Tdi" from Dividing Creek Imports. He knows all the answers to these sorts of things, so you don't have to worry about finding all of this info on your own. It's the VIN though, plus buying the information from Heritage something or other if I recall.

------ Follow up post added September 26th, 2011 08:03 AM ------

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...ad.php?t=31787
Old September 26th, 2011, 08:05 AM
Francois
Francois
1986 110

I shipped mine to Jacksonville last January. Customs looked at the date of first registration, not the production date.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2011, 08:35 AM
maleger
Marc-Andre Leger
94D90 CDN#18 http://rover.leger.ca

Registry
I think the production date is found on the sticker in the footwell.
Old September 26th, 2011, 09:21 AM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by maleger View Post
I think the production date is found on the sticker in the footwell.
For example:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D-90.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	151.2 KB
ID:	42262  
Old September 26th, 2011, 10:04 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Only NAS trucks have that sticker.... one of the many things done to satisfy Canada and the US.
Old September 28th, 2011, 12:42 AM
bjlover
Andy
P38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I shipped mine to Jacksonville last January. Customs looked at the date of first registration, not the production date.
They good at the registration date? According to the regulation it goes by the production date! What a pain! Some trucks for one reason or another can have registration dates months or over a year after the production date. You figure time to produce then sell... and some trucks the dealer uses for their own purpose and then sell. That is how I bought my LR3 with 5,000 miles from the dealer. I was the first to register the truck almost 14 months after the actual production date.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Old September 28th, 2011, 09:06 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjlover View Post
They good at the registration date? According to the regulation it goes by the production date! What a pain! Some trucks for one reason or another can have registration dates months or over a year after the production date. You figure time to produce then sell... and some trucks the dealer uses for their own purpose and then sell. That is how I bought my LR3 with 5,000 miles from the dealer. I was the first to register the truck almost 14 months after the actual production date.

Has anyone else had this problem?
Clearly if the date of first registration is 25yrs old then the truck had to have been manufactured before that date. Sound logical ? In practice I have brought in trucks before they were exactly 25yrs old. Eric @ Atlantic British's truck would be a good example. Bought it in 6mos before it was 25yrs old by pre-arranging it with a customs officer/buddy and showing him the paperwork before shipping it. If you find a truck registered in early 87 and it has to be the one then get a build certificate from mortor heritage as linked above. I have a truck that was first registered Jan 3 1985 but the truck was built in 1983 so what you reference is common. Trucks from other countries that are brought to the UK have dates of first registration that have nothing to do with the age or date of manufacture of the car. I recently brought in a Camel Trophy truck for a member here which had a date of manufacture in 1983 or early 84 but was registered as a 1985 because thats when Rover sold it off after the 84 Camel trophy event. Enforcement is arbitrary and most officers go by/interpret the form to be model year instead of exact date it rolled off the line. No pain-dirt simple actually. If you want to discuss give me a call.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac