How do you access under seat storage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 16th, 2007, 06:21 PM
Boone90
Mark Gilmore
97 D90 SW

How do you access under seat storage?

Referring to '97 D-90SW.

I know there are no dumb questions but this must come close. What do you do to access these two areas?
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2007, 06:28 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

The bottom of the seats just lift out, grab the front of the seat bottom and pull straight up.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:13 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
x2..
Advertisement

Old February 16th, 2007, 08:16 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

There are no dumb questions (except for maybe some of mine)..............Hans is right on.

I don't know if the 97s are different. My 95 D90 has the battery under the driver's seat - and a pretty nice storage area under the passenger side. Before I had the hardtop on, my wife would sometimes put her purse under there when the car was totally open..............we figured no one would ever know........

Flagg
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
all the defenders are the same they have seat boxes, as do the series unless theyve rusted out...
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Boone90
Mark Gilmore
97 D90 SW

Yeaah!

I was pulling up on the seat adjustment bar in front assuming that was it but thinking it was just stuck from not being used and it wasn't budging.

Any other magic storage places I may have overlooked?
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:46 PM
huck1974
shane cates
94 d90

my defender has secret dope comartments under the seats. At least I thought thats what they are for.
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:49 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

We ought to have the board admin go search through some of the current "experts" first posts. See if they can find a couple of good ones. hehe Good thread? All good people. No harm no foul...just humor.

If not here, then I've asked some whacky ones to people face-to-face. I don't know how they kept a straight face.

When I inspected my D before purchase I couldn't find the battery and when the dude (O'le Grump) told me it was under the seat I was ready to call "B&**Sh*&T" because the "sideways seat hinges" didn't work. I didn't inspect it but I figured it had to be okay because it started. Derrrrrr
Old February 16th, 2007, 08:49 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
come on now hope not dope
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:25 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone90

I was pulling up on the seat adjustment bar in front assuming that was it but thinking it was just stuck from not being used and it wasn't budging.
Yup..I had a crow bar under that thing too, thinking the same thing... No kidding.

Follow-up Post:

I had to do some explaining to a neighbor kid's mother...(His dad laughed). The kid told his mom I had a "Toyota, Toyota and a Son of a B^&*%. Huh? That's what Mr. Hanson calls it."
Mostly from my dumb ass trying to figure stuff out, and being frustrated in the garage.

Dope? Yeah...You might actually think so. And now that I've humiliated myself, I'm going to move on to another thread...

Find your problem yet, Phil?
Old February 16th, 2007, 09:47 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
all the defenders are the same they have seat boxes, as do the series unless theyve rusted out...
No they don't.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old February 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM
twiftwix
Tim F.
1997 Defender 90 ST

Hidden Storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boone90
Any other magic storage places I may have overlooked?
There's a great one for smaller, more valuable things in the center console under the cubby box thing. You just take out half a dozen or so phillips screws and lift up the plastic tray and it's under there. There's plenty of room for some pistols, or your girlfriend's jewelry, or cameras, or Ipods (or your mother's drugs you're bringing back from Canada). If you have the OEM CD changer it eats up some of the space, but even if you do there's still some room. And if you don't, there's actually quite a bit of space in there.
Old February 17th, 2007, 05:49 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Wow - I will have to check this out. It is a shame there is not an easier way to access it............but then, I guess, it would not be so secrete.........and I might have found it after 12 years!!!!

Flagg
Old February 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM
devinchi
Tim Brown
'95 D90 ST '99D2

Mine has even more space unde the plastic cubby, since a previous owner put a 2x4 lift kit under the center console.
Old February 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Don't feel so bad about not finding the compartment for a while. When I was first looking into Defenders, and saw one at a dealer lot.... it was on the THIRD trip to look at the truck that I actually found the hood release. There area lot of unusual things about these trucks, and the more you get used to them, the more you are amazed at how many strange things you find.

Such as all the 12pt bolt heads you'll find when doing a brake rotor.

-Hans

Old February 18th, 2007, 09:56 AM
twiftwix
Tim F.
1997 Defender 90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by devinchi
Mine has even more space unde the plastic cubby, since a previous owner put a 2x4 lift kit under the center console.
Are you sure he didn't just put in a seat lowering kit?

I'm just curious. What are the 2x4s supposed to accomplish?
Old February 18th, 2007, 01:56 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

I want to at least know where this 'top secrete'*storage is, in case I ever need it

So that storage in the center console? Where all the screws. I see two screws in the bottom of the cupholders. Are the other 4 screws inside the box (I have to admit, I did not empty out my whole storage box to look). Is removing the whole center box how you access this space?

If you were to remove this box, what about the radio wiring?

Just curious...............Flagg
Old February 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM
twiftwix
Tim F.
1997 Defender 90 ST

Flagg--

You lift the hinged lid of the cubby box and the screws go around the outside rim of the plastic insert. After you take out the screws you just lift up the plastic insert and the space underneath there is what I'm talking about.

I wonder if possibly yours is different (1995 [manual?]) than mine is (1997 automatic). I don't have any cupholders there--they're in the lid of the cubby box. So hmmm?

There's probably the same amount of space there, you just have to access it differently, maybe.

The radio wiring is down in that space (lifting off the plastic insert is actually how you access it). I've also got a compressor for my Airlifts, and the controller box for my alarm, and the interface adaptor box for my Ipod stashed/wired down in that space too. So the wiring isn't much of an issue if you put things in there.

Hope that helps.

Tim F.
Old February 18th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yes, the automatics have a very different console to them, and the way you describe it is where the radios are mounted in the 94's/95's. Then, we have cupholders down at the bottom front of the cubby, which doesn't reach to the shifter. IIRC, the automatic consoles go all the way to the firewall, correct?

-Hans

Old February 18th, 2007, 03:56 PM
twiftwix
Tim F.
1997 Defender 90 ST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans
IIRC, the automatic consoles go all the way to the firewall, correct?

-Hans
Yeah, the console goes all the way to the firewall.

So, maybe that's an automatic-specific place you can stash stuff.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac