How do I remove a lock cylinder if I don't have the key? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old May 1st, 2009, 01:04 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

How do I remove a lock cylinder if I don't have the key?

I did not get a key with my liftgate and I need to replace the lock cylinder. Do I have to drill it out or is there another way.

TYIA.

Ron
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2009, 07:47 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
if its like the other locks there is a small hole that you can stick a jewlers screw driver etc into and release the spring that holds the cyl in.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old May 1st, 2009, 08:05 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland 110
if its like the other locks there is a small hole that you can stick a jewlers screw driver etc into and release the spring that holds the cyl in.
In a Rover one you have to have the key to turn it to the position that allows you to release the lock cylinder with a pick or small screw driver.
So you can either pick the lock to make it turn so that you can remove it, or drill baby drill.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2009, 11:02 AM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

By driilling the lock, you may inadverntantly tear somthing else up and end up having to replace more than the lock cylinder alone. I'd suggest you go to a locksmith & have a key fitted to the lock if it's just the key your lacking. Should you want a different key to fit the lock, the locksmith can re-arrainge the bitting parts (wafers) so the old key no longer works and the new one he creates will.

Dennis
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:16 AM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Unless you drill too deep you can't hurt the Defender locks.
Been there, done that dozens of times... just did a rear door re-lock today.

Just take it easy and check periodically and you'll be fine.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old May 1st, 2009, 01:45 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I did my liftgate years ago. seem to recall it was more complicated than the door locks, little annoying pins that were barely visible and had to be drifted out etc. but at some point I was able to change the cylinder as described.

I've had pretty good success picking the locks on these to get the old cylinders out. only had to drill one I think.

funny story I wanted an extra key for my SIII and ws killing time waiting for someone in the hardware store so I got the guy to try and match up a key blank to the LR one. We found a Mazda key that had the same end profile. But before cutting the key I took it out the truck to make sure it would go in the lock.

Not only did it go into the lock, it was able to unlock and start the car without even being cut...and it actually solved a problem I was having with the ignition switch where the heater would cut out once in a while until you jiggled the key. Hmmm, wonder what that profile was I kinda miss that truck

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
I did not get a key with my liftgate and I need to replace the lock cylinder. Do I have to drill it out or is there another way.

TYIA.

Ron

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions