How difficult is it to convert auto trans to manual in a D90? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old June 15th, 2004, 12:28 AM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

How difficult is it to convert auto trans to manual in a D90?

Just curious.

The deal I had to purchase a D90 fell through, so I'm back on the market again looking for an inexpensive D90. I don't want an automatic, but since I've been more interested in the wagons I seem to find almost just automatics. I would only consider buying an automatic if I could swap it out for a manual at some point.

Did I mention that I'm on a limitted budget?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2004, 07:44 AM
Glenn_Guinto
Glenn Guinto
94LWB; 99D1; 06RR S/C

Registry
Jason, I think you got it the other way around. The only automatic D90s are the 1997 models which are currently on top of the totem pole. They typically start in the mid $20K for a fixer upper, up to about $35K or higher for great examples.

1994 and 1995 only came with manual 5-spd stick shift and are typically less expensive than the 97s. The early 94s came with the LT77 transmission which is known to be problematic and the one favored is the R380 which is standard in the 95s and a few late 94s.

94s can be had starting in the low to mid teens for a fixer upper and $20-$25 range for good examples, and 95s are priced in between that and the 97s.

Good luck!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old June 15th, 2004, 09:26 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

95 wagons seem to be the cheapest of the lot. Saw one go for 14 on ebay recently. It was a rusty POS but . . .

Ron
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 15th, 2004, 12:07 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

I believe Tyler Wirkin turned his '97 into a 5 speed . . .
Old June 15th, 2004, 06:23 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

I have seen a few pre-97 D90 wagons for sale here and there.. but most do seem to be the more expensive '97s (and those all seem to be automatics). I almost bought this one for about $12.5K, but it ended up being a bit rougher up close than it appeared from the pics:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...RK%3AMEWA%3AIT

I also liked the idea of a diesel. That 2.5L had no power at all, but I planned to swap it out later.

I'm definitely looking in the teens and not in the 20s as far as price goes. I suppose I like the look of the wagon with it's hardtop color matching the body. If the fiberglass top on a convertible were to be painted (and all that textured surface filled in/sanded smooth) to match I suppose a similar look would be had... are the fiberglass tops of the same shape/size as the metal wagon tops? If so, maybe I don't care as much if it's a wagon or not.

I'm still poking around here, Ebay, cars.com, etc, trying to find one that's just 'right'.
Old June 15th, 2004, 07:22 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Jason,

I assume you know of the restrictions on non North American spec rovers? Especialy with you being here in California. Unless the truck is registered otherwise you will be hard pressed to get it registered here. It is not impossible but may be a bigger problem than it is worth. Be careful.
Old June 15th, 2004, 10:26 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

That vehicle was already titled/registered, so it's a matter of transferring the title. It was, in fact, previously titled in CA. Don't ask me how they did it... but I imagine that there isn't any problem transferring it - it's a 1964, after all (wink wink nudge nudge) according to it's title, and the VIN matches the title, so unless the person inspecting the vehicle knows exactly what would define a '86 LR versus an older Series II or III with Defender wings on it...

Anyway, I flew out to finalize the deal, but the little beast had a bunch of small, annoying problems with it & just wasn't worth the money he was asking for it. I don't mind a project vehicle, but to get that one where it would satisfy me would be far too much $$ for a vehicle costing almost $13K. I'm better off spending a bit more and getting a newer, NAS, no-funky-title vehicle. He could always come back to me with a lower offer and maybe I'd reconsider, but he spent too much to purchase it himself and isn't too happy about lowering his price after only a year of ownership.

I just came back from Paris last week and saw quite a few cool new Defender 90s running around. It only made me want one more

Maybe this is getting to be too chit-chatty -- sorry for the tangent, forum gods, don't strike me down!

So, is it a big bother to install a manual trans in an auto D90? Is it the same transfer case, or is that different as well?
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:08 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Jason,
Have you considered buying a 1994/1995 soft top 5 speed and converting it to a hardtop? I put a panel top on my 1994 with the roll bar parts from a station wagon. It went together with no problem and was much less work than a transmission conversion would be. Parts are available from RDS or some of the breakers in England. Costs would be similar, but you'd have a larger pool of base vehicles to choose from.
Rob Dassler
Old June 15th, 2004, 11:56 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Jason,

Back to the original post. Why do you want a manual instead of the auto? I used to be a die hard manual user and swore I would NEVER go auto. Then my wife got a Disco, and after a few trips and some mild to moderate trails and a bit of rock crawling I was hooked on automatics. My current trail rig is a manual and if I could I would convert it to automatic in a heartbeat if money grew on trees. Just curious what your reasoning is?

Kevin
Old June 16th, 2004, 02:28 PM
jaherring
Jason Herring
94 D90 ST #1253

Rob,
I've been thinking about that. I was just wondering how expensive it would get changing the top, the roll bar components, rear door, etc etc, and then getting it painted to match. Maybe I could live with a fiberglass top convertable for now and either paint that or get a wagon top later. Are the wagon tops and the fiberglass tops basically the same shape/form?

Kevin,
I just enjoy driving a manual more than an automatic. I've owned lots of both. My car is a manual, and my current truck/offroad toy is in fact an automatic.

My current offroad ride:
http://www.pangea-systems.com/jas/tr...int2000050.JPG
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:16 AM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaherring
Rob,
I've been thinking about that. I was just wondering how expensive it would get changing the top, the roll bar components, rear door, etc etc, and then getting it painted to match. Maybe I could live with a fiberglass top convertable for now and either paint that or get a wagon top later. Are the wagon tops and the fiberglass tops basically the same shape/form?

Kevin,
I just enjoy driving a manual more than an automatic. I've owned lots of both. My car is a manual, and my current truck/offroad toy is in fact an automatic.

My current offroad ride:
http://www.pangea-systems.com/jas/tr...int2000050.JPG
I have a customer with a manual that would like to go automatic. I could maybe quote you a swap if this interests you. After you find a vehicle and can vouch the drivetrains condition.

Jim Pendleton

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:32 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
I have a 94 and I would also like to go to an Auto.
Old June 17th, 2004, 12:19 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Cambell et al.

Just find yourself an 89-95 RRC or DI tranny and flywheel. Get all the parts and you should be cool.

Ron
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Doug
Doug Walker
TVR5L-powered NAS D-110

...and a d90 center console from RoversDownSouth.....
Old June 17th, 2004, 02:05 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell
I have a 94 and I would also like to go to an Auto.

There you go, sounds like a deal.

JP

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90, manual