How can you tell if the timing pointer is out of alignment? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 15th, 2011, 09:54 AM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

I didn't know this subject was so contentious
It's a free country, so everyone is entitled to pursue absolute TDC in any manner they would like. The only reason I posted was that Neil was looking for an answer regarding the timing on his truck. I assumed that was because he felt there was some problem regarding the timing which as it turns out is the case. The pinging or pre-detonation can be a symptom of improper timing ( too advanced). In a situation like this it is perfectly sound to adjust the timing ( retard) slightly to eliminate it regardless of what the timing indicator reads. Unfortunately today fuel octane ratings are suspect and even if one uses a high octane fuel from the pump you can still run into problems with pre-detonation, especially under a load.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2011, 12:36 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
It's probably just me not knowing much about this, so please skool me. Why is it ok/recommended to disable the vacuum advance? Isn't the whole point to have a variable timing so that the advance can be different at idle than under load? Seems to me this is what Neil is facing, not some core TDC problem.
Old January 16th, 2011, 12:47 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin View Post
It's probably just me not knowing much about this, so please skool me. Why is it ok/recommended to disable the vacuum advance? Isn't the whole point to have a variable timing so that the advance can be different at idle than under load? Seems to me this is what Neil is facing, not some core TDC problem.
That's always possible too. If it's pinging under heavy load only, and not under normal operation. That the exact situation that the vacuum advance is intended to deal with.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 16th, 2011, 02:25 PM
kevkon
kevin
1994 D90 300tdi #730, SIII 88

Remember there are two advances, vacuum and mechanical. I had a real vexing problem with a Lucas 45d where I was not able to get the timing right. While using the timing light I noticed some eractic timing. Took the distributor apart and found that the advance weights were hanging up due to years of dirt and corrosion. Sometimes it's just a simple thing that gets overlooked.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
alignment