How bad did I screw up. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 22nd, 2016, 06:44 PM
Hitch
scott
86/ 110

How bad did I screw up.

Today I put about 10 gallons of gasoline in my diesel 200TDi engine by mistake. It had about 3 gallons of diesel before I filled it up. I drove 5 miles on it before I realized my mistake. How bad did I mess up and how do I fix it. I know I need to drain the fuel and I have a new fuel filter. Is there anything else I can do or suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 06:53 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
the fuel pickup of the fuel tank is at the bottom of the tank.

gasoline has a density of 45 lb/ft^3. Diesel has a density of about 53 lb/ft^3.

Therefore, unless you had a totally empty tank, the gasoline you put in the tank is floating above the diesel. This means that no gasoline got into the fuel system.

You are lucky. Drain the entire fuel tank, let the remaining gas residue in the tank evaporate, then refill with diesel. Your filter is probably fine.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 06:57 PM
Hitch
scott
86/ 110

I think it did get some gasoline in the fuel system it lost power and started smoking out of the tail pipe a lot.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:02 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
the fuel pickup of the fuel tank is at the bottom of the tank. gasoline has a density of 45 lb/ft^3. Diesel has a density of about 53 lb/ft^3.
Lol. The gas and the diesel will mix immediately. You are a funny guy.

Drain the tank. Change the filter. Pull the fuel solenoid and crank a while to flush out the fuel system.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:03 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
I think it did get some gasoline in the fuel system it lost power and started smoking out of the tail pipe a lot.
Then you didn't have 3 gallons in the tank.

AFAIK the best you can do at this point is clear the tank as I stated, refill with diesel, then purge the fuel system. Run it about. Never make the same mistake again.

------ Follow up post added February 22nd, 2016 07:08 PM ------

yep, red is right, I was wrong. They mix
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:16 PM
Hitch
scott
86/ 110

The fuel gauge showed quarter tank before I put 10 gallons in it. I'm just guessing how much was in it.

That was a one time mistake. I had just gave my wife hell for not paying attention. Karma?!?!?
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:21 PM
RBBailey
RBBailey
1965 IIa

Registry
That sucks!

But this should make you feel better:

1965 IIa SWB
1988 Saudi 110 (soon to be 300tdi)
Old February 22nd, 2016, 07:36 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Yellow 3 door Series at 6:53. Shall we move this to the Defender Sightings thread?
Old June 19th, 2016, 12:28 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
How did this turn out for you?
Old June 19th, 2016, 12:54 PM
carlosz
Carlos
frank stein "frankie" in action RIP

Registry
I drove and owned 18 wheelers from 96 to 2003, rather using additives it was common practice to drop some 10 to 15 gallons of gasoline in its diesel tank supposedly to clean the engine of carbon and keep it tip top.

personal experience, we never replaced fuel injection systems due to this abuse, the engine will rev up faster,
at times seemed to run smoother but noisier, exhaust pipe had the tendency to get very hot,(sometimes cherry red) egt's will definitively rise to 1200 or so, the engine brake would sound louder (what you call talking jake).
top speed would increase and power was plentiful.

basically what happened the gasoline would make diesel more volatile thus increase engine performance but to every action there is a reaction. a few guys over did this and resulted in melted piston crowns.

little more science than I can express definitively above my pay grade (government disclaimer for I don't care or don't wanna do it or don't know).

in short you caught it in time, yes drain the tank, refill with dieseling let it idle for a good hour or so, it will be fine.
c
Old June 19th, 2016, 01:33 PM
Hitch
scott
86/ 110

I removed the plug from the bottom of the tank, and drained 13 gallons of fuel out of the tank. I removed and changed the fuel filter. I put some fresh diesel in the filter and cranked the engine a few times. Then I put 5 gallons of diesel in the tank and cranked it a couple of more times. It fired up and ran like a champ. It has been running strong ever since.
Old June 19th, 2016, 02:45 PM
Steve110
steve
1990 200 Tdi 110

Registry
Even jet and turboprop engines can mix jet-a and 100 LL for a pre determined low percentage of the operating period between overhaul. To exceed this percentage simply reduces the time between overhauls. In other words, you are fine. Clean it out. start over. Be happy.
Old June 19th, 2016, 02:59 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlosz View Post
I drove and owned 18 wheelers from 96 to 2003, rather using additives it was common practice to drop some 10 to 15 gallons of gasoline in its diesel tank supposedly to clean the engine of carbon and keep it tip top.

personal experience, we never replaced fuel injection systems due to this abuse, the engine will rev up faster,
at times seemed to run smoother but noisier, exhaust pipe had the tendency to get very hot,(sometimes cherry red) egt's will definitively rise to 1200 or so, the engine brake would sound louder (what you call talking jake).
top speed would increase and power was plentiful.

basically what happened the gasoline would make diesel more volatile thus increase engine performance but to every action there is a reaction. a few guys over did this and resulted in melted piston crowns.

little more science than I can express definitively above my pay grade (government disclaimer for I don't care or don't wanna do it or don't know).

in short you caught it in time, yes drain the tank, refill with dieseling let it idle for a good hour or so, it will be fine.
c
When I was a young soldier stationed in Germany we would dump a 5 gallon can of "mogas" in our Deuce and a Halfs (M35A...2?) before autobahn convoys and they would rock (comparatively speaking of course). But they were apparently designed for that abuse, something something multi-fuel clean air or other.
Old June 19th, 2016, 04:38 PM
Viton
Deaf Ember
Smart 4x4

My '81 VW Rabbit diesel owners manual said you could mix up to 25% gas in the winter.
Old June 19th, 2016, 06:22 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Just never mix your fuels with modern diesels with their high pressure fuel pumps etc.
Old June 19th, 2016, 09:06 PM
fraser61
Fraser Gourlay
1986 D110 TUM 300Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
Lol. The gas and the diesel will mix immediately. You are a funny guy. Drain the tank. Change the filter. Pull the fuel solenoid and crank a while to flush out the fuel system.
Actually in my experience he's right, i did the very same in France, realised my mistake, so put more diesel in and the car ran fine until the hire car company got it back. I told them my mistake and they took care of it

------ Follow up post added June 19th, 2016 08:09 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
the fuel pickup of the fuel tank is at the bottom of the tank. gasoline has a density of 45 lb/ft^3. Diesel has a density of about 53 lb/ft^3. Therefore, unless you had a totally empty tank, the gasoline you put in the tank is floating above the diesel. This means that no gasoline got into the fuel system. You are lucky. Drain the entire fuel tank, let the remaining gas residue in the tank evaporate, then refill with diesel. Your filter is probably fine.
Actually in my experience he's right, i did the very same in France, realised my mistake, so put more diesel in and the car ran fine until the hire car company got it back. I told them my mistake and they took care of it

2008 RRS SC
1986 D110 Tithonus 300TDi RHD
1979 S3 Lightweight
2006 ZX-10R

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, get it out with eye drops.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions