Hot Wire a D90 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:43 AM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Hot Wire a D90

Something happen yesterday afternoon that got me wondering what I would have done if one thing was different. After work I went out to the D90, got in, put the key into the ignition switch, truned the key and NOTHING happened. NO, the battery WASN'T dead. The ignition switch broke! Now luckily before it broke it turned on the system so I got some co-workers and was able to push start it. But what if the switch was COMPLETELY bad how would I HOT WIRE the D90?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2009, 10:51 AM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Maybe this should not be discused on an open forum. I don't want my truck hot wired by some punk out of my driveway.
Old February 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, if that info gets posted, I'm deleting it ASAP.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:20 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I had that happened to me too... I had to keep trying until it finally started..

But, I would like to know how to do it.

Old February 5th, 2009, 11:35 AM
The Wizard
Douglas Wozny
1994/ Defender 90 #500

Woldd90,

I could have tried until the cows came home and would have gotten no where. The switch was COMPLETELY shot.

TDI Guy,

You are right. I should have thought about that before I posted. But, if anyone is in the Springs and would be will to help me out I would greatly appreciate it.
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:14 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
I had my ignition switch come totally apart on me too. It was actually more difficult to replace than i thought it would be... just difficult to get through all the wires and mess in the dash and then dealing with the awkward angles to get the old one out.
Old February 5th, 2009, 12:34 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Mine went south on my RRC and I was parked in a fire lane at the time. I had to basically destroy the cylinder was able to start the truck with a screwdriver until I got the new part. It was an anxious few minutes before I got out of the fire lane.
Old February 5th, 2009, 01:59 PM
btate
Bryan Tate
d90

Its real easy to hot wire, all you do is **** the *** with ***** * ** ** *****.

Just make sure to **** before you **** the *****!

Otherwise you will be **** *** ** ****

no, lets not spill those beans on an open forum
Old February 5th, 2009, 02:59 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Even if you hot wire the truck and start it don't you have to disable the locking part of the ignition switch to release the steering wheel?

Old February 5th, 2009, 03:02 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

On the lotus board, we PM how to get into the trunk when you lock your keys in it.

I have an idea on how to hotwire a D90, but I have never done it so I don't want to say.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:21 PM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LenB
Even if you hot wire the truck and start it don't you have to disable the locking part of the ignition switch to release the steering wheel?
Just make sure to **** before you **** the *****!
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:42 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Oh please, as if posting instructions is going to affect D-90 thefts.

Not exactly hot theft targets. Mine has had the window tops off every summer since I've owned it and never a problem.
Old February 5th, 2009, 03:53 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Question ... is it the ignition switch, or the steering column lock, or both that goes bad? I may add one or both to my list of emergency spares or replace them in advance to avoid a problem.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell
Oh please, as if posting instructions is going to affect D-90 thefts.

Not exactly hot theft targets. Mine has had the window tops off every summer since I've owned it and never a problem.
Perhaps not, but its a matter of bad policy. No one is likely to come to my house and kick my ass if I put my address up here, but I'm still not going to do it.

Old February 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
To pop the lock on the column ( on most cars ) will take 5 seconds ( sadly there are tools out there available to extract the mechanism without a requirement to obtain it) .

There are even courses for Locksmith over the net that upon the seudo Graduation it will include the tool.

Once that is out of the way, I was told 3 wires play the game. ( and I do not know how long it takes nor am I interested to find out )
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:40 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I had to hot wire my SIII 7 miles from the nearest pavement after my friend drove off with my backpack that had my keys in it.

I won't go into detail here but it was stupid easy. The 90 is not much more complicated. However the S3 did not have the column lock and that is a big problem, you will have to turn (pick or destroy) the lock somehow to move the car.

I know how theives get past the lock. A friend happened upon some thugs sitting in his neighbors car and saw what they were doing. They came after him with a bat, bad idea for them as this guy was fearless, and "de-batted" them. Always a fun story.

"Modern" cars use a chip in the key fob that prevents the car from being hot wired or jimmied.

Anybody that stole my poor 90 would be sorry after about a block of trying to engage second...it ain't easy to drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier
To pop the lock on the column ( on most cars ) will take 5 seconds ( sadly there are tools out there available to extract the mechanism without a requirement to obtain it) .

There are even courses for Locksmith over the net that upon the seudo Graduation it will include the tool.

Once that is out of the way, I was told 3 wires play the game. ( and I do not know how long it takes nor am I interested to find out )
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:45 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R. Kurk
Question ... is it the ignition switch, or the steering column lock, or both that goes bad? I may add one or both to my list of emergency spares or replace them in advance to avoid a problem.
It is most commonly the ignition switch that goes bad. They are poorly crimped together and over time they come undone and the switch spits its guts out the back. To change it you have to remove the column lock and that means drilling out the 2 safety screws holding it in place and then removing the tiny screws that hold the ignition switch in place. On a few occasions I have been able to get the safety screws out without drilling, but not very often.

The switch can also fail electrically and stay together, but most we do are because the switch fell apart.

To check your switch remove the dash and reach in and push in on the back of the ignition switch (white plastic thingy where the 4 wires are). If it feels firm you are OK, if it moves in when you push on it you should put a new one in before it leaves you stranded, and crimp the edges of the switch better when you install the new one.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:51 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

I will find out. let me leave the truck in Jamaica, Queens for the night. I'm sure we will have results in 20 minutes.
1994 Defender 90 #916
1967 Lancia Fulvia
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV
Old February 5th, 2009, 04:58 PM
ECR
East Coast Rover Co.
Just Defenders, nothing else.
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ini88
I will find out. let me leave the truck in Jamaica, Queens for the night. I'm sure we will have results in 20 minutes.

Series Rovers take about 30 seconds, Defenders take about a minute, and that includes defeating any alarm installed by a stereo shop (and that is without hurting the truck). It could be a lot faster if you wanted to do damage.

I only know because we have had customers loose the keys to their trucks before and we had to get them going to get them into the shop.

I do not check PMs. Call or email if you need something.

ECR is not a parts source. We are not in the mail order business.
Old February 5th, 2009, 05:06 PM
R. Kurk
Richard Kurk
1993 110 NAS #489

Thanks for the information on the switch and how to check and remove. Very good to know this up front then to try and work it out in the "middle-of-nowhwere".

Again, thanks.

Rich K.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
90, d90