Hot Water shower - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old March 31st, 2007, 01:36 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Hot Water shower

Has anyone used a heat exchanger like this for an on board hot water shower. It is quite small and the entire system would fit quite nicely under the passenger seat.
Attached Images

Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Davis
Chris Davis
94 NAS D90 6.2LS

That is too much work for me plumbing wise. I think you could fit it easier under the hood either in the fender or by the firewall. Good idea, though. How much are they?
Old March 31st, 2007, 04:33 PM
Shane@EVS
Roverhybrids

I use those style heat exchangers for vegetable oil conversions. That looks like a 40 plate and would work awsome for a shower. You better put in a valve to control the coolant flow, cause it could get to hot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2007, 07:13 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Thumbs up

I already have a totally useless aux heater under the seat with coolant lines to and from. It's a no brainer. There's room under there for a 12 volt pump and the power is already there for the heater fan. The switch is next to the dash panel dimmer. I was going to mount hose fittings on the kick panel behind the passengers legs under the seat. Run a garden hose from the creek, through the pump, through a Y. One side goes through the exchanger and back out to the hot side of the shower tap, the other side goes straight to the cold side. Voila, hot and cold running water from under the passenger seat. A hot shower is soooo nice in the bush. This exchanger is a 30 plate and is about $100 on ebay. I can get a 350 GPH pump from Princess Auto, a great Canadian institution, for about $90 CDN. The rest is garden hose, hose clamps, and a trip to Home Depot for the shower part. When you said to install a valve for the coolant flow, did you mean because the water could get too hot or the exchanger? If it was about the water the standard tap setup will allow temp control of the water. I could easily install a diverter system to bypass the exchanger if need be.
Old March 31st, 2007, 10:58 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
How about a link or search term to an exchanger on ebay? All the onboard shower exchanger systems (US and Aussie) run around $400. $200 in parts sounds a hell of a lot better. I have been very interested in this type of config, as anything to get the wife camping is money well spent.

Follow-up Post:

Disregard request. I found the appropriate search term and can see them now.
Old April 1st, 2007, 12:46 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I think my wife may venture out with me again as well. Even if it ends up costing 359 after all is said and done it will still be a better quality setup than anything you can buy as a kit.
Old April 1st, 2007, 07:21 AM
GaryBaxter
Gary Baxter
None

I am amazed at the creativity I see on this board and this is a great example. When you figure out how to incorporate a flush toilet and an outlet for a hair dryer, let me know. Those are my wife's requirements for joining me in my adventures.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:59 AM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
I am amazed at the creativity I see on this board and this is a great example. When you figure out how to incorporate a flush toilet and an outlet for a hair dryer, let me know. Those are my wife's requirements for joining me in my adventures.

I figured it out Gary. In order to get my wife out camping I had to get one of these: http://jaycorvs.com/jayco/baja.asp. It has a shoilet (shower toilet combo), outlets and a king and queen size bed.

Oh, and mine is in camo.
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:02 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryBaxter
An inverter should take care of the hair dryer, and a 5 gallon bucket with a toilet seat and cover feels an awful lot like a flush toilet.
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:23 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmccallum
I figured it out Gary. In order to get my wife out camping I had to get one of these: http://jaycorvs.com/jayco/baja.asp. It has a shoilet (shower toilet combo), outlets and a king and queen size bed.

Oh, and mine is in camo.
Isn't that just a tent trailer with a spring over conversion?. I'd still put on a set of 35's with spare axles underneath for backup.
Old April 1st, 2007, 11:44 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I have one on my truck... It works very well when you are camping for a couple days, and need to wash off. I will post a few pics when it stops raining.

Old April 1st, 2007, 07:57 PM
mdmccallum
Mike
'97 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad
Isn't that just a tent trailer with a spring over conversion?. I'd still put on a set of 35's with spare axles underneath for backup.
Yeah pretty much. My in-laws sell them, so the price is right. Your right though, i should look into some 35's and a spare axle and a wench while I'm at it.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:13 PM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

I know a couple guys with Suzukis with Toyota axle conversions and they tow trailers with complete Toyota axles on them, hubs , 3rd members, axleshafts, and all. Comes in handy though quite an expensive utility trailer.
Old April 1st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Here ya go!

http://bumperdumper.com/

Old April 2nd, 2007, 08:38 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Now that's thinkin'
Old April 3rd, 2007, 12:11 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyrad
Run a garden hose from the creek, through the pump, through a Y. One side goes through the exchanger and back out to the hot side of the shower tap, the other side goes straight to the cold side. Voila, hot and cold running water from under the passenger seat. A hot shower is soooo nice in the bush.
So you're going to shower off with creek water? Might work nicely in the mountains but out here in the desert, the last thing you want to do is shower off in some mank creek water--if you can find a creek!

Seriously, where do you use these?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old April 3rd, 2007, 01:02 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Just run it through a brita!

Old April 3rd, 2007, 08:38 AM
andyrad
Andy Radlgruber
None.

Lightbulb

In the mountains. I must admit I've never been camping in the desert. After a few days in the mountains in summer you're covered in bug spray and sweat, you stick to your speeping bag, and you start to smell good to grizzlies. The creeks are damn cold and so are the lakes. We do have hot springs but too many people use them for soaking so there will be no hot baths in there. On board hot water is the only way to go.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
water