Hot starting problem that won't go away. - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 29th, 2010, 09:33 PM
lostindecoland
Paul Cwikla
1997 defender

Hot starting problem that won't go away.

My 97 D90 has hot starting issues. Most of the the time the truck works fine. But after the engine gets warm and after a couple of short trips - she will not start unless I keep it revved to 2000 RPMs. At that point she will drive but if I let off the the gas it will start to stutter then stall. The next day she will start and run fine.
I have replaced the stepper motor, new fuel filter, new mass air flow sensor, four new 02 sensors and a new coolant sensor. The fuel pump is about 2 years old.
Two new codes popped up. The first is P1317 the rough road sensor and the other is P0420 (bad catalytic converter). I realize that both have to addressed, but will these fix my starting problem? Is there anything I'm overlooking? Should I flat bed it to East Cost Rovers?

Thanks for any input, Paul
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 25th, 2010, 09:26 PM
lostindecoland
Paul Cwikla
1997 defender

Ok, update.

Had shock tower on right side repaired. Now P1317 code is no longer an issue. My mechanic checked the cats and said they were fine. Had a small hole in the fuel line repaired and the P0420 code never reappeared.

Still having problems. Changed the the fuel temp sensor. Still have stalling issues.

Unplug the fuel temp sensor - starts fine. Plug back in, stalling returns.

Unplug the stepper motor(even though it's new) - starts fine. Plug back in - stalling returns.

OK - what should I check next?
Old February 26th, 2010, 04:13 PM
kolvedic
Bill Lewis
1995 White SW 339/500

Registry
Sounds like you went down the exact same road I did, except I replaced everything in the fuel delivery sans the injectors. I finally decided to swap the plug wires and check the plugs and swap those to. I did this when the engine was warm and found that 3 of the 8 plugs were finger loose. I ended up tightening them while the engine was warm and haven't had a problem since.

I never had stuttering while running or needing to keep the idle up to keep running.

does the starting method of running the fuel pump and waiting 30 seconds allow it to start? When mine wouldn't start, I could unplug one of the injectors and it would start right up and run.

Yours is probably different, but its sounds exactly like my problem.
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2010, 04:41 PM
lostindecoland
Paul Cwikla
1997 defender

Thanks Bill for your input. Tried unplugging an injector but no change was observed.

Changed all the plugs today (none of the old plugs were found to be loose) and still having the problem - plus now getting a P0300 code.

Maybe bad spark plug wires, even though they are about 2 years old.
Old February 27th, 2010, 06:04 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa
'93 Range Rover County LWB

Points dude! rebuild your Distributor and fresh plugs with the correct gap!
Oh, and do your self a favor... I don't care if your using Super Duper unleaded, you need lots of additives.... either Chevron Techron or Sea-Foam every 2K to clear every thing up!
I have an 83 3.5 converted to Lucas ( unknown miles ) w/ 14psi inj. instead of the... I beleive 16psi from the stock 91 RR doner ( absolutly no nocking ) w/87 and running like a charm when its not breaking down for whatever other reason!
I still have some hot start promlems, but no where's as bad!
And check every frame ground connection possible, a mechanic once found a bad cable on mine... after the fix I got much quicker starts.
It's to the point that if I return after only lets say 5min. all I have to do slightly tap the accelerator and she starts right up.... and I could live with that!
Good Luck!

Luis,
Old February 27th, 2010, 07:30 PM
lostindecoland
Paul Cwikla
1997 defender

Does my 1997 have points and a distributor?
Only had the truck 8 months and it's a fun drive. Would like to go off roading this summer and need to get this problem solved. Would not liked to be towed out of trouble by my friend's jeep.
Tried techron but noted no difference.
Will discuss loose ground with my mechanic.

At this point I'm thinking bad spark wires, vacuum leak or bad cpu. Any thoughts?

Paul
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:31 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostindecoland View Post
Does my 1997 have points and a distributor?
Only had the truck 8 months and it's a fun drive. Would like to go off roading this summer and need to get this problem solved. Would not liked to be towed out of trouble by my friend's jeep.
Tried techron but noted no difference.
Will discuss loose ground with my mechanic.

At this point I'm thinking bad spark wires, vacuum leak or bad cpu. Any thoughts?

Paul
Unless its an oil burner, yeah! The points are inside your distributor...... its what sends the spark through the leads to the spark plugs. They do get week, and break sometimes! Then you just don't start, period!
Techtron is a long term thing, every 2-3k mls. it will keep your injectors freed up! Sea-Foam is for keeping your fuel tank free of water, ( winter time ).
Check for vacuum leaks, however that would not be a cause of hot starts..... this would cause rough idle and such (motor running ).

I don't know a website dedicated for D-90's but there is one called rangeroverremedies.com..... you pretty much have the same running gear as a range rover classic and its a trouble shooting webisite, good stuff!

------ Follow up post added February 27th, 2010 10:41 PM ------

Ooooops, you have a 97'..... those might have the P-38 range rover running gear, the bosch ignition. Not to famliar with those, someone might be correcting me!
Old February 27th, 2010, 10:47 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The 97 has coil packs, no points nor a distributor...

Old February 27th, 2010, 10:53 PM
grnthng
Luis A. Costa

Thanks Scott, I noticed the year after the fact . It is the Bosch system, right?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
start, starting