Hot Seats - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:20 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
Hot Seats

Okay, it's going to be another scorching hot summer day today and I was wondering what everyone else is doing to keep their asses cool. When I drive in the heat for about an hour my seats get so damn hot. The AC helps (now that I've fixed my overheating issue ::knock on wood:, but doesn't totally solve the problem. And it's not even just the seats, although they are definitly the biggest problem. The whole cab heats up like an oven on hot days. It seems that most of the heat radiates up from the cats or tranny or something and then through the seat boxes. So I bought some cheap shinny insulation stuff from home depot and put in in the seat box, on top of the seat box, and on occaision i've put towels on the seats. All of this seems to help but doesn't fix the issue. Does anyone else have this same issue? Should I get more (or better?) insulation and just keep putting the stuff down? Any new ideas??

Oh yeah, the ambient air temp has a major role in this b/c this doesnt happen in the fall or winter. The rover only really gets uncomfortable in the summer when the temps get high.

-Mike
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:23 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
yeah I hear you. my feet get pretty warm i think its recently gotten more noticeable since i replaced the big stock muffler with a more compact aftermarket one. I hope thats what it is and not the transmission or t-case....

occasionally I just hold the door open for a short period seems to get the heat out.
Old July 27th, 2006, 11:52 AM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
do those slickrock fabrication kickpanels do anything to keep the heat down?? I saw something in roversnorth that may help too: http://catalog.roversnorth.com/downl...36_RN_News.pdf it's on page 5, the rubber toe box inserts RNF484. anyone have these?

Those may help the heat in the toe box, but doesn't really help the rest of the problem. Any other ideas??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 27th, 2006, 11:53 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
they do anything to keep the heat down. Its just nicer than that stupid card board that falls down all the time.
Old July 27th, 2006, 12:44 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherpamike
Okay, it's going to be another scorching hot summer day today and I was wondering what everyone else is doing to keep their asses cool. When I drive in the heat for about an hour my seats get so damn hot. The AC helps (now that I've fixed my overheating issue ::knock on wood:, but doesn't totally solve the problem. And it's not even just the seats, although they are definitly the biggest problem. The whole cab heats up like an oven on hot days. It seems that most of the heat radiates up from the cats or tranny or something and then through the seat boxes. So I bought some cheap shinny insulation stuff from home depot and put in in the seat box, on top of the seat box, and on occaision i've put towels on the seats. All of this seems to help but doesn't fix the issue. Does anyone else have this same issue? Should I get more (or better?) insulation and just keep putting the stuff down? Any new ideas??

Oh yeah, the ambient air temp has a major role in this b/c this doesnt happen in the fall or winter. The rover only really gets uncomfortable in the summer when the temps get high.

-Mike
The problem is definently the rather crazy design of the Y pipe coming down on both sides off a hot running V8. Add to that an AL tub and you have a hot ride. On my Tdi there is a completely different exaust layout and the heat and floor panels are always cool to the touch. The best way I would think to solve this is to take the y pipe off and coat it and then wrap it with an exaust insulation tape. Should work. Good luck.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old July 27th, 2006, 01:52 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
hey buck, that is a great idea. I am definitly going to try that.
Old July 27th, 2006, 02:32 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Those Rovers North rubber toe box pads are great for reducing noise in a D90 (I use them) but they don't help with the heat radiation off the floor & seatbox. Also, they sag or fall down in the heat and so you need some metal plates like ECR offers to hold them up
Old July 27th, 2006, 04:48 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The other thing you need to ensure is that there is no airflow through the seatbox anywhere. If the toolbox covers are loose, or if there are any other holes, you will get warm airflow from underneath in addition to the radiant heat.
Old July 28th, 2006, 11:09 AM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

before you wrap your exhaust, do some research. I seem to recall a couple of peeps from this site that did that and wound up cracking their manifolds or something.
Old July 28th, 2006, 01:00 PM
sherpamike
Mike Doligalski
'95 D90 ST

Registry
hmm...that is interesting. I searched the site and the old BBS and didn't come up with anything. Has anyone here tried wrapping their exhaust? I'd hate to try this stuff only to mess up the rover more. I've talked with a couple people that have wrapped their headers and exhaust on race cars....it seems to be a common practice. I wonder what would be different about doing the same on a rover. Any ideas?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
seats