Hot in the Summer - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 16th, 2007, 12:05 AM
jdempsey
Jason Dempsey
94/ D90/ Red

Hot in the Summer

Summer is just around the corner and I need to solve one more issue. My cab gets so hot with all the hot air from the engine and under the carriage up through the cracks under the tuffy box and through the gaps in the in the toe box.

Has anyone taken any measures to reduce the heat coming in? Something that works well and doesn't look like...well you know
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2007, 11:11 AM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
My solution

Summer is just around the corner and I need to solve one more issue. My cab gets so hot with all the hot air from the engine and under the carriage up through the cracks under the tuffy box and through the gaps in the in the toe box.

Has anyone taken any measures to reduce the heat coming in? Something that works well and doesn't look like...well you know

I laid down carpet insulation and carpet (applied it with duck tape and spray adhesive) AND filled the wells underneath the seats with insulation as well. Helped deaden the road noise and makes it notably cooler. For the life of me can't figure out why LR just didn't do it in the factory. $100 bucks for the materials on Ebay and .5 a Saturday to do the job.

Also took off the door panels and stuffed insulation in them as well. Doors are much heavier and again the noise isn't as bad.
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:34 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_and_Blue
For the life of me can't figure out why LR just didn't do it in the factory
Lets see,

Your in WA DC it looks like. So give it 2 years and you will figure out why LR never did that. Carpet, combined with a leaky roof and wet winters with hot sommers, throw in some mud, will smell like rancid ass in no time.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
Fair enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Lets see,

Your in WA DC it looks like. So give it 2 years and you will figure out why LR never did that. Carpet, combined with a leaky roof and wet winters with hot sommers, throw in some mud, will smell like rancid ass in no time.
I've had it almost a year and have no leaking issues. Mud is a fair point, but that's what floor mats are for and if it gets bad I'll just tear it out and put in a new roll. For $100 it's a pretty cheap and easy way to keep the heat from burning up your legs.
Old April 16th, 2007, 01:25 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_and_Blue
I laid down carpet insulation and carpet (applied it with duck tape and spray adhesive) AND filled the wells underneath the seats with insulation as well. Helped deaden the road noise and makes it notably cooler. For the life of me can't figure out why LR just didn't do it in the factory.
Doesn't that make it harder for the water to drain out, and to clean out the interior? I think Land Rover did do this from the factory for many trucks, but they gave those trucks the names "Range Rover" and "Discovery"... Different target market.

Old April 16th, 2007, 02:50 PM
Black_and_Blue
Tommy Moore
1994 #1398

Registry
I give up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepeytr
Doesn't that make it harder for the water to drain out, and to clean out the interior? I think Land Rover did do this from the factory for many trucks, but they gave those trucks the names "Range Rover" and "Discovery"... Different target market.
Christ. Guy posts how do you beat the heat and I recommend how to do it. Rather than giving him suggestions you two would rather tell me how I'm wrong for doing it or that I'm driving the wrong type of Rover. Guess what? I put carpet in my truck. It deadens the sound and the heat from the engine. When it gets muddy, I clean it with a hose and it dries. It's not making recombinant DNA.
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I had carpet in mine. Didn't work out too well. Maybe marine carpet would work.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:36 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
When things heat up a lot I just hold the door open for a few to get some air moving.
Old April 16th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Biggest thing I can think of is putting some kind of heatshield between the cats and the floorboards, since that is where most of the heat is coming from.

Also, those fender top vent scoops may also help somewhat, as the passenger side one will force more cooler air into the engine compartment as you drive and push the hot stuff down and out.

The muffler may be part of the problem too if it's the factory version, it's got a lot of fiberglass in there and can really build up some heat that radiates up into the cab.

Window tint, if you have a station wagon, helps prevent heat coming in through the windows.

More extreme things can also be done, such as louvers in the hood... though that can be expensive as it requires a re-paint. I've also seen in the UK rover magazines that they offer a ventilation system that supposedly helps get the hot air out of the engine compartment. Never saw it in the US though.

But I have noticed that the underhood compartment tends to hold in a LOT more heat than most other cars I've owned. Then again, most other cars I've owned have some type of venting at the cowl, while we just have that dinky little vent on the top of the fender.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:02 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

I made heat shield for my cats it works well. Get some alum sheet cut to length & bend channels in it. Wrap it around the top of the cat & fasten with hose clamps.

jeepeytr! You are wrong!
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Like Pete said, the NAS 97's came with carpet, and I believe that current production models in the UK have it still as well.

But, personally, I don't care for carpet in vehicles that see a lot of water. Most of my previous 4x4's that had carpet, almost invariably the carpet backing would always be damp when I pulled it up for whatever reason. This is compounded by all the salt used to melt ice in the winter, as well as the high salt levels in the local dirt/sand. Though it's usually the padding under the carpet that retains water and not the carpet itself.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 16th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Bowtracer
Peter Sherman
NAS 110

AH & 110's
Old April 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
jdempsey
Jason Dempsey
94/ D90/ Red

Bowtracer/Hans-- I like your ideas I am going to do some due dili and make an application and try to post back in July

Black and Blue-- Thanks for your ideas. I think carpet may be tuff for me because I am on the beach alot and sand is always in the truck

Jeepey-- I am in the Philly area and sarcastic opinions like yours are always well received by me and my boys.. in doses..but well received

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions