Hot ac controls? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old August 29th, 2010, 08:18 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Hot ac controls?

Hi today I noticed my ac control knob was feeling loose and upon inspection I noticed that the metal fan control that the plastic turn knob is attached to was hot to the touch.. almost hot enough to burn my finger? I turned off the ac and headed home to check it out,
-has anyone experienced this or have any ideas why it has become this way?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 29th, 2010, 11:51 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Traveler View Post
Hi today I noticed my ac control knob was feeling loose and upon inspection I noticed that the metal fan control that the plastic turn knob is attached to was hot to the touch.. almost hot enough to burn my finger? I turned off the ac and headed home to check it out,
-has anyone experienced this or have any ideas why it has become this way?
I just had the same issue (still working a/c issues with manufacturer) with my main brown connector for the ac being too hot to touch. it ended up being a factory terminal in the connection that was never a very good contact and had too much resistance in the connection to due corrosion or something.

too high of resistance in a connection is what you should be looking for. our ac systems rely heavily on 12v negative signals. check your switch wires with a multimeter for resistance on the ohm setting.
Old August 30th, 2010, 12:22 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

Thank you for the advise, I will be working on it today. with it being 90 degrees for the rest of the week I hope I can resolve the issue..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 30th, 2010, 05:21 PM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

I now have the fan speed switch removed and it is damaged, the red wire in the 7 oclock position was broken ( from the rear view).. there is some small burn look to the wire terminal sleaves.. I am not sure yet if this was caused by the fan switch becoming loose and then grounding or touching the other wires..
does anyone know where to get a new fan switch?
it says across the top of the back (INDAK)
I will check RN tomorrow..
Old August 31st, 2010, 10:44 AM
Sun Traveler
D. B.
110 Defender Tdi

I located the switch and part # and will be ordering one today, I have the option of using the steel with zinc coating like the origional or a copper post?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac