Horn not working after 200TDI Swap - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old April 18th, 2016, 04:43 PM
LakeLBJ
CC
SOLD - 1987 D90 LHD / 200TDI

Registry
Horn not working after 200TDI Swap

So I am putting the finishing touches on my 200TDI swap. (87 90 LHD) Last night I was putting my front panel and radiator shroud on. Before I put my grill on I remounted and plugged in my horn. Went to test it, and no go. First I checked the fuse and noticed it was burnt out, so I replaced it thinking that was an easy fix. Unfortunately that didn't fix it. Everything else on that same indicator stalk (turn signals, high beams) works just fine. Any thoughts? Could I have missed a ground somewhere that needs connecting?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2016, 08:32 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

My horn needed 2 wires. +12V and a ground. The case wasn't grounded. Did you hook 1 wire or 2?
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:36 PM
Brewie212
Brian Kandefer
1957 107 wagon, 94 arles St, 101 FC

Did you test it with a test light to see if you are getting power?
Advertisement

Old April 18th, 2016, 08:49 PM
LakeLBJ
CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj View Post
My horn needed 2 wires. +12V and a ground. The case wasn't grounded. Did you hook 1 wire or 2?
Just one wire.
Old April 18th, 2016, 08:51 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Check your horn again. Does it have 2 - 1/4" male spades or just 1?

And do what Brewie said, hook up a meter to the wire you connected and see if you get 12V when you sound the horn.
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:02 PM
LostChord
Brian
86 D110 SW

Registry
Or leave it...if they actually hear it over the clack of the motor, and then after they stop laughing, my wife and daughters expect clowns, unicycles, monkeys, and trapeze artists to start pouring out of the truck whenever I press the horn.
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:09 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Too funny! Same thing here, after my 200Tdi swap my horn no longer works. Weird. Like spooky weird. So now I ride around and give everyone the middle finger. Even my neighbors when they wave.
Old April 18th, 2016, 09:18 PM
LakeLBJ
CC

Registry
I like all the anti-horn suggestions, sounds like some good times. I just don't think it will pass inspection in Texas without it!

I tested the plug with a multi-meter while my dog honked the horn and didn't seem to get any power.

Photo of connection attached...

Edit: Hmmm...maybe one connection fell off...
Edit 2: Went back out and checked under the wing, there is only one wire coming off that connection with the headlights and turn indicators for the Horn that I can see.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1972.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	147608  
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:14 PM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Well I guess I will add to the list. Mine didn't work after I did mine. The terminal broke off of the horn.
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:15 PM
Z.G
Zack
300Tdi 95 D1

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLBJ View Post
I like all the anti-horn suggestions, sounds like some good times. I just don't think it will pass inspection in Texas without it!

I tested the plug with a multi-meter while my dog honked the horn and didn't seem to get any power.

Photo of connection attached...

Edit: Hmmm...maybe one connection fell off...
Edit 2: Went back out and checked under the wing, there is only one wire coming off that connection with the headlights and turn indicators for the Horn that I can see.
Looks like corrosion took one of your terminals
Old April 18th, 2016, 10:18 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Did you by chance change the turn signal stalk with a new part?
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:17 PM
RovingRyan
Ryan Phelps
84 LHD 110

Registry
I just replaced my oe horn from 84. Was a single wire and the horn was grounded through the stud in the center via the bracket. I have dual hella horns now. Very loud!
Mine is also a 200tdi conversion but my horn worked just sounded like a clown car for the last three years!
Old April 18th, 2016, 11:38 PM
LakeLBJ
CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
Did you by chance change the turn signal stalk with a new part?
No, original stalk.

------ Follow up post added April 18th, 2016 10:41 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by RovingRyan View Post
I just replaced my oe horn from 84. Was a single wire and the horn was grounded through the stud in the center via the bracket. I have dual hella horns now. Very loud!
Mine is also a 200tdi conversion but my horn worked just sounded like a clown car for the last three years!
I'm pretty sure my horn worked fine before the conversion. I only remember removing one wire like yours. It attaches via a bracket with two studs to the front panel.
Old April 19th, 2016, 01:47 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

Your horn could have frozen up from disuse. Is there a screw anywhere on the housing? Keeping track of where you start turn it in and back it out to free up the diaphragm. The other thing I noticed in your pic it appears the wire might have been connected to the closer stud on the housing which as someone pointed out might be missing a terminal. Lastly if you are not getting power to the purple/black wire the problem is upstream of the terminal. Perhaps the other end is not connected?
Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 19th, 2016, 10:51 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeLBJ View Post

No, original stalk.
i'd say put 12v manually on the horn using a jumper cable while grounding the case, and see if it honks. if it honks, then the horn is ok and the problem is somewhere else. if it doesnt honk, time for a new horn.
Old April 19th, 2016, 10:12 PM
LakeLBJ
CC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
i'd say put 12v manually on the horn using a jumper cable while grounding the case, and see if it honks. if it honks, then the horn is ok and the problem is somewhere else. if it doesnt honk, time for a new horn.
Well thar she blows my friends. I hooked it up directly to the battery with jumper cables and got a nice spark shower and a loud honk. Remounted in the truck and hooked the single wire back up and she is back working fine. And just when I was excited to start using my middle finger more often.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
200tdi, horn, tdi