Hoping to import - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:13 AM
grapplerdan
Dan
1989 110 CSW 200TDi--now with 19J

Hoping to import

Purchased a 1989 110 CSW with the 200tdi almost two years ago from the UK and drove it down to Germany where I am stationed. I was hoping to take it home with me this spring when I PCS back to the states. Now, after reading all the recent threads, it looks like I am screwed. Looks like I either rip out the 200tdi to put in a 19J or else chance it getting squashed. Is there no hope? I thought I would be safe because the 200tdi came out in 1990 and by EPA standards was old enough for importation. I kind of feel like Leia reaching out to Obi-wan, 'help me...you're my only hope'.
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Joseph Addison (1672 - 1719)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:38 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapplerdan View Post
Purchased a 1989 110 CSW with the 200tdi almost two years ago from the UK and drove it down to Germany where I am stationed. I was hoping to take it home with me this spring when I PCS back to the states. Now, after reading all the recent threads, it looks like I am screwed. Looks like I either rip out the 200tdi to put in a 19J or else chance it getting squashed. Is there no hope? I thought I would be safe because the 200tdi came out in 1990 and by EPA standards was old enough for importation. I kind of feel like Leia reaching out to Obi-wan, 'help me...you're my only hope'.
I've been burned importing - so I am somewhat risk averse. I would tell you to put in a decent 2.5 NA and get her over here -- do the 200tdi swap again down the road.

Others will tell you that you are fine as long as you import at such and such port. Its a gamble. As was the case with my truck (which apparently had british soil still on it), they gave me the option to ship it back to the UK at my expense. I think in most cases that remains an option. I believe the 'squashing' only comes into play with repeat offenders or if you surrender the vehicle to them so as to avoid the cost of shipping back to the UK.

You've got a few months - I vote make it right and go (near) risk-free.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:40 AM
javelinadave
-
-

Can't he import it without an engine and ship the 200Tdi separately?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 3rd, 2014, 02:47 AM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Only if it is in a container... for RORO it has to be able to move under its own power. I imagine if he is trying to get the Gov't to pay for it (since he is PCSing) he is restricted to RORO.

Old February 3rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
Rock and a hard place... Based on the cost of swapping an antiquated 2.5 NA back in I might just risk it.

Agree it's a turkey shoot, you're going to hear from both sides of the aisle on this one.

I would examine the cost of throwing in a 2.5NA.

If it cost anywhere close to $2000 USD then the price of shipping it back and forth and the potential to bring over a $3500 engine setup might make the risk worth it. Food for thought
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:02 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Definitely get as much history on the truck as you can. Since the diesel was swapped in, are you sure it was diesel from the factory? Be a bummer to drop in another diesel only to fine out it was a V8 originally.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:15 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
start here

http://www.clifton.nl/index.html?calvin.html
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:22 AM
Buyrovers
Chuck Leimone
1984 Land Rover 110 Soft Top

Find someone over there that has a clean and original v8 truck that's willing to trade or sell.
Old February 3rd, 2014, 09:32 AM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Definitely get as much history on the truck as you can. Since the diesel was swapped in, are you sure it was diesel from the factory? Be a bummer to drop in another diesel only to fine out it was a V8 originally.
Quote:
Originally Posted by leastonce View Post
Exactly. You need to decode the vin, figure out what it left the factory with, and put that same/similar motor back in. Everything else is just pissing your money down the drain, and you'll need to ship it back. Pretty much that's the bottom line.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old February 3rd, 2014, 12:05 PM
grapplerdan
Dan

It is an original RHD 110 CSW 19J 2.5TD...I've found some used engines in UK that I could grab for around $500, and the local garage here would likely work with me and not gouge me to install it. The hard part is shipping it from UK. If I had a free weekend over the next month, I'd just rent a trailer and go get one or maybe even have someone in UK swap it for me. I agree, it is looking like the smart thing would be to swap it and not chance it.

On a side note, those Turner Engineering engines look sweet, but I am not paying that price for a 19J when I just want to swap it back stateside.
Exercise ferments the humors, casts them into their proper channels, throws off redundancies, and helps nature..., without it, the body cannot subsist in its vigor, nor the soul act with cheerfulness.
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:13 AM
grapplerdan
Dan

I am having a terrible time finding a 19J engine to put in. I have found a couple on eBay.co.uk, but they are all for pick-up only and I don't have a free weekend to pick one up until mid-march. If I have the 200tdi taken out and ship it as a vehicle with no engine, what does that do for me on the other end? I read somewhere that it would then have to be titled as a 'kit' car. Any ideas?
Old February 22nd, 2014, 01:24 PM
Miller
Jon Miller
'85 ROW 110 SW

Registry
Where are you at in Germany? Search for Land Rover Secondhand on google. Place in Germany that sells used parts. Also try marktplaats.nl. I found quite a few parts on there when I was stationed in Germany. I remember seeing a lot of 2.5na, 19J, and 3.5 V8s on there. Are you shipping at govt expense or under the 2nd pov program?

- Jon
Old February 22nd, 2014, 03:06 PM
grapplerdan
Dan

Thanks Miller, both those suggestions look promising. I am at 'The Rock', Baumholder, Germany in Rheinland-Pfalz. It has been fun being here in Germany, but I am ready to go stateside and fix up the 110. This is what she looks like...when we get stateside, I plan on stripping her down and do a complete rebuild.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3643701904.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	452.3 KB
ID:	90126  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions