Hooking up Running lights (DRL's)? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old December 26th, 2015, 12:59 AM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Red face Hooking up Running lights (DRL's)?

Hello.
In Canada it is law to have lights that turn on with the ignition (hence, Daytime running lights)

I would like your advice on an easy spot to hook up the headlights (or front corners).
The cigarette lighter is a long way and mickeymouse. There is a yellow/green alternator wire in the bay, but the engine does not shut off if the light are left on.
There must be something simple, a bridge in the fuse box or something. What are some options and success stories. Thank you for the help guys!

Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2015, 04:27 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCoastRover View Post
Hello. In Canada it is law to have lights that turn on with the ignition (hence, Daytime running lights
I actually believe it is applicable only to new cars being sold in Canada. Your truck would be grandfathered as is. If I'm wrong about that, then the rule is rarely followed and never enforced.

iirc, they can't make you retrofit cars to conform to today's increasingly stringent standards. That being said, I think it's a great idea to add them! They look cool by modernizing the look of the truck, and do provide an unparalleled level of visibility to other drivers. I just don't think you would be forced to add them. I had a '61 continental convertible once that didn't even have seatbelt and I wasn't required to add them.
Old December 26th, 2015, 08:49 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
When you import a car that is newer than when the law was introduced you must add the DRLa before it can be registered.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 26th, 2015, 09:22 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Probably easier to add white LED in 95mm and wire them to an ignition hot circuit independent of any other circuit.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 26th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Run a wire to a fuse that is on only when ignition comes on...use a fuse blade connector. Hella have some nice 8light bar LEDs that are quite small and unobtrusive. Find em on eBay
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:15 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
When you import a car that is newer than when the law was introduced you must add the DRLa before it can be registered.
Well, there ya go. Ok. Good to know.
Old December 26th, 2015, 12:36 PM
WestCoastRover
Jeff
2000 TD5

Registry
Cool

My front corner lights are LED, I will connect those.
"Run a wire to a fuse that is on only when ignition comes on" - Which fuse would work?

I'm not a fan of running new wires through the firewall. Do you think there is a simple jump in the fuse box to one of the corner light leads? Sorting this out in an easy way will greatly help me for future vehicles as well.

As for DRL requirements. I have brought in quite a few vehicles over the years, inspected at multiple facilities. If imported newer than Dec 1, 1989, you have to install DRLs. Although the confusion of "15 years and older" that eliminates federal safety laws including DRLs, BC's provincial inspection still requires them.
Old December 26th, 2015, 03:07 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Not sure about which fuse will work for you...use a voltmeter with ignition on and off
Old December 26th, 2015, 03:15 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
If imported newer than Dec 1, 1989, you have to install DRLs. Although the confusion of "15 years and older" that eliminates federal safety laws including DRLs, BC's provincial inspection still requires them.
Definite confusion on that requirement. Very retroactive, yet only on private imports? One of my Canadian market rovers is a '95 LWB and obviously doesn't have dlr's, yet if I bring up my other from Calif., I'd have to install them before it could be registered? That rule is so grey, no wonder the cops do nothing! ;-)

With regards to the wiring, are you looking for a permanent solution or just to remain active and in conformance until/through inspection? If the former, the corners w/led would pull so little power that I doubt any acc circuit would even notice. If you want to go with bright white/high visibility units, get a harness with a relay that'll use nominal power from the acc to kick over. Then you're not loading any other circuits and pulling fuse protected power directly from the battery.
Old January 6th, 2016, 10:42 PM
Defenderdat
David
1997/Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Run a wire to a fuse that is on only when ignition comes on...use a fuse blade connector. Hella have some nice 8light bar LEDs that are quite small and unobtrusive. Find em on eBay
That's a great suggestion. I'm thinking about doing a similar install and wanted to cut them into my bumper. Has anyone cut them in? Some appear to be curved I'm guessing we need flat lights to fit. Thoughts??
Old January 7th, 2016, 09:20 AM
rankar
Randy
97 SW #2236 (Maggie)

Registry
I think Philips puts out a smart drl kit with straight bar lights
Old January 7th, 2016, 10:30 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
I installed these rigid led lights that turn on with the ignition (in the 97 there is a spot to tie into in the fuse box under the hood that's hot on ignition) and they have a high beam mode that I linked to the headlight highbeam wire. The horizontal pattern looks a bit like the new G wagon running lights during the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2494029075.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	431.5 KB
ID:	138692  
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old January 7th, 2016, 11:23 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
Quote:
Hello.
In Canada it is law to have lights that turn on with the ignition (hence, Daytime running lights)

I would like your advice on an easy spot to hook up the headlights (or front corners).
The cigarette lighter is a long way and mickeymouse. There is a yellow/green alternator wire in the bay, but the engine does not shut off if the light are left on.
There must be something simple, a bridge in the fuse box or something. What are some options and success stories. Thank you for the help guys!

Jeff
On my Series I ran a constant duty switch that was used to give power to aux fusebox, I ran power from the battery to the constant duty switch, and I used the coil to send signal that the ignition was on, this way I did not have to run back into the cabin to get a signal, and because all it does is tell the switch to send power, it doesnt have much draw. Not sure what you could pull power from under the hood on your truck, just some food for thought.

Edit: just remembered defenders have the battery in the cabin, this makes this solution even less feasible for you.
Old January 7th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Mybluett
Defenders Northwest
110SW
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
My front corner lights are LED, I will connect those.
"Run a wire to a fuse that is on only when ignition comes on" - Which fuse would work?

I'm not a fan of running new wires through the firewall. Do you think there is a simple jump in the fuse box to one of the corner light leads? Sorting this out in an easy way will greatly help me for future vehicles as well..
This is your best bet - and you can link the circuits in the fuse box with jumpers (not ideal wiring, but the most easily revisable and least intrusive option)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ht, lights