Homelink, Backup Camera, Rearview mirror - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:39 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Homelink, Backup Camera, Rearview mirror

I thought I would share a great update I did to my D90. I stole one of these out of inventory and really LOVE it in my truck.

Gentex Homelink Mirror, with built in 3.3" LCD for backup camera and compass. This is a very quick install and can really update your truck to a modern convenience. It fits right on the factory mirror mount.

The extra thing above is my noise canceling bluetooth microphone.

It is slightly larger than the factory mirror, but really fits right into the cabin.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1817
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	48344  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2012, 06:51 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Show the backup camera location and it's image. Price? Time to install? Looks cool.
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:02 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I am planning on finishing the camera install tomorrow, will take a few more pics with the monitor on and camera installed. The mirror took me all of about 45 minutes to install and wire up. The Gentex mirrors are available in various flavors with these various options... Homelink, Compass, Temp, Backup monitor (2.4" or 3.3" LCD) and auto dimming

This model has everything except Temp sensor and is also one of the most expensive at $659. They start at $219

You can get them on eBay, Amazon or I don't mind getting them from work for board members.

As an aside..I LOVE working on my D!!! It is SOO much easier than working on all the other Mercedes, Porsche, BMW's that I do electronics work on every day. A real joy. This would have taken 3 times as long in those cars..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 26th, 2012, 07:06 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yeah, $100 on eBay for the 50-GENK40A one - is that what you have?
Old February 26th, 2012, 07:09 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
The one I installed is the 50-GENK3345

3.3" Rear Camera LCD
Compass
Homelink
Auto Dimming
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:53 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

I love these kinds of very useful upgrades but I get $659 on Ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mito-50-GENK...ht_3851wt_1185

If you can do it for MUCH cheaper, I would be keen but I want to see and understand what's required with regard to installation 'headaches' or 'nirvana'.
Old February 26th, 2012, 08:56 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
wow d-90.com is really going down the shitter

why the fuck do you need a backup camera on a Defender 90? Do you suck at driving that bad?
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:06 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Ha ha! No it's not; have faith. It's known as 'calling out' the messenger and see him wriggle? I do like the idea of gauging outside temperature which is firkin' very cold up here.
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:18 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Multiple points about this can be useful.
-If you've seen how I have to park in my garage, you'd see this as a good-to-have. No reason to knock over a perfectly good Harley Nightster!
-Getting lined up for the garage; it's a VERY narrow cobblestone street and the telephone pole is behind my door. Never hit it and don't want to!
-When in a large offroading property on a new map, the compass can be useful for navigating and communicating with others.
-Dropping a boat off
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2853553864.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	103.5 KB
ID:	48349  
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:32 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
No, not really necessary on a D90, maybe for my wife sometimes as she is very short and it is a little difficult for her to gauge things now with a 4" lift and 35" tires (hoping to go down in size when my new wheels come in). Plus it comes in GREAT for lining up a hitch to trailer. Mainly, it is what I do for a living, so it makes sense for me to put this on.

There is no headaches at all in this install. This is as close to "plug and play" as it gets. The only thing I did was get a slightly longer set screw for the mirror, as the dimple in the factory glass mount is about 2mm deeper than a typical one.

I can get them for less than that (not a ton, but a decent amount), but would just be doing it for board members as just a gesture. We are not sponsors here and I am trying to think if we can come up with any products for my company to become a sponsor. I certainly don't want to run afoul of any board rules. Plus, my company would frown if I suddenly requested 10 of these to sell at cost!! One here and there would be ok though. I would be happy to share suppliers of any product I use in my endeavors.

rover4x4 - I am also maybe a little different than some of the long timers. I have owned a long line of LR for the past 20 years, and I am as much about form as I am function. I am not, as one of my guys says, "a beat it to fit, paint to match" kind of guy. I am big on fit and finish - probably to a fault. Plus being an automotive electronics designer, it would make sense that eventually my truck will be geeked out. So I can certainly take the pointed criticism... used to it
Old February 26th, 2012, 09:40 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Run that bike over and smash into them garbage bins for a larf.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Multiple points about this can be useful.
-If you've seen how I have to park in my garage, you'd see this as a good-to-have. No reason to knock over a perfectly good Harley Nightster!
-Getting lined up for the garage; it's a VERY narrow cobblestone street and the telephone pole is behind my door. Never hit it and don't want to!
-When in a large offroading property on a new map, the compass can be useful for navigating and communicating with others.
-Dropping a boat off
Old February 27th, 2012, 09:50 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
wow d-90.com is really going down the shitter

why the fuck do you need a backup camera on a Defender 90? Do you suck at driving that bad?

IDK, I think it's pretty cool. But I might be getting old and lazy but my 2 other vehicles have backup cameras and they are very nice to have in certain situations. On the Suburban it's almost necessary for parallel parking. Add a big tire and some other gear to the back of a 90 and it might be a nice option to have.

At the very least Pipermalibu is trying different stuff out and with his auto electric background some of might help some other board members out. I've had the GM Gentex mirrors and I have to say that are pretty slick. At $700 I won't be buying the backup camera setup but I defintely will look at the temp gauge one at some point.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:16 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I will REALLY drive some members insane soon with my next modification. However, this has real world use - albeit a little over the top. My plan is to mount a FLiR camera up front (inside bumper or grill) and have a thin flat monitor in the driver visor. When off road (or on road) at night you will be able to see wildlife and such. If you have ever seen these in a BMW or Mercedes they are uncanny. I installed one in my last Range Rover and although I would not advocate this, I could actually drive with my headlights off in the dead of night and see BETTER than with lights. Of course the D90 won't be speeding anywhere, but they are also great for road cars and seeing "the man" in the dark hiding off the edge of the road. You can see about 1/4 mile or more at night with it.... Check it out at
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:29 AM
J. Andrew
J. Andrew
95 D90 NAS SW #384

Have you considered putting a snorkel, dizzy gaiter and become a Coyote? The flir ability to run no-lights and the ruggedness of the defender, seems like a shoe-in.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:34 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I have had snorkels before, but honestly I have nerve run into a water crossing more than a few inches deep anywhere I ever go. Mostly off-road in Colorado, and nothing is that deep or in the north Georgia mountains either.

although your post could be in jest and it went over my head, cause I have never heard of a dizzy gaiter/Coyote
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:14 AM
Reese_D90
Reese
97 D90 ST and 93 D110

Registry
Anyone seen an off road nav unit that can tie into a backup camera? That might be something I would consider.
NAS 1993 D110 CDN #11/25
1997 D90 ST #1953
2006 Range Rover
1997 D90 SW #701 (sold)
1995 D90 ST (sold)
Old February 27th, 2012, 11:29 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I am having my buddies at Specdoc make us some docks for an iPhone/iPod that will replace the ashtray. I then use MotionX GPS offroad- works great - and only cost a few dollars!!!

That was my reasoning for my install. I did want the backup camera for me hitching and my wife on a daily basis, but wanted it to be stealth and no thief would know it was there (in rear view mirror). The iPhone goes with me everywhere anyhow (when will these things be implanted?) - so again, nothing to steal and will be right up on top of the dash and have off road maps. It will integrate right in to my Parrot Asteriod stereo so I get great music, live traffic update for in town, internet music, iPod, etc etc. - you could also get an iPad mount for REALLY big maps (or Android if you are Apple adverse).
Old February 27th, 2012, 12:51 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Land Rovers are one of the easiest trucks to drive with great visibility.

-Jeff
I don't think you looked at my last picture. With the SafariGard Tire Carrier (which I think pipermalibu also has on his rig) the wheel/tire mounts much higher up than the stock location, and with a 33-35 inch tire, a Hi-Lift mounted, maybe a bike or two, or Jerry cans on the back, you're looking through a much smaller space than many others.

Hers a good pic. Dan's truck here is lifted higher than mine, has bigger tires, etc and my tire is still much higher than his stock one. Mine takes up More of the rear window real estate as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2947931136.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	63.3 KB
ID:	48365  
Old February 27th, 2012, 01:24 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reese_D90 View Post
Anyone seen an off road nav unit that can tie into a backup camera? That might be something I would consider.

Never used it but my my Garmn Nuvi 5000 has backup camera input capability and a 5.2" Screen. Not sure if any of the currrent range have the option. Nuvi interface sucks though if you want anything more than basic autorouting functionality.
Old February 27th, 2012, 01:34 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
I forgot about those!! My analysis of this:

Pros:
Relative low cost

Cons:
You need to remove it from the dash or glass to prevent theft
You need at least two cables draped on the dash to plug and unplug (power and video)
The Garmin Nuvi's don't do off-road last time I checked (although this may have changed)

As an aside, the iPhone/Android option with MotionX GPS allows you to download the latest maps ahead of time and even have the satellite image overlay (which can be great for off-road) - that way they work without any cell coverage (very common in Colorado)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac