Homelink, Backup Camera, Rearview mirror - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old February 27th, 2012, 02:06 PM
Dredd
Harlan Boone

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
wow d-90.com is really going down the shitter
Just wait 'till the ads start dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
why the fuck do you need a backup camera on a Defender 90? Do you suck at driving that bad?
Do you work for LRNA? It sounds like something they'd say - "Why do you need a winch, do you plan to get stuck?"
HB
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2012, 02:08 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post

Do you work for LRNA? It sounds like something they'd say - "Why do you need a winch, do you plan to get stuck?"
HB
Now THAT is funny!!!
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:30 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Not that I would condone such a thing here at D-90 but there are ad-blockers out there for Firefox and Chrome. IE you say? Pffffffttt. Where I'm a community member elsewhere, I disable the generic ads but let the other local ads run in instances when they're closely linked to that particular online community; if an occasional purchase made via a link helps the volunteers keep the site running, then I'm down with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
Advertisement

Old February 27th, 2012, 02:39 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by pipermalibu View Post
I forgot about those!! My analysis of this:
Quote:

Pros:
Relative low cost

Cons:
You need to remove it from the dash or glass to prevent theft
You need at least two cables draped on the dash to plug and unplug (power and video)
The Garmin Nuvi's don't do off-road last time I checked (although this may have changed)

As an aside, the iPhone/Android option with MotionX GPS allows you to download the latest maps ahead of time and even have the satellite image overlay (which can be great for off-road) - that way they work without any cell coverage (very common in Colorado)

All true, but for many of us a dedicated GPS is typically going to be there anyway so the cables and the removal part is something we already have to deal with. The 5000 can run Topo and trail maps and it stores all of the maps internally on memory or an SD card. The other thing I like about the 5000 (and maybe other Nuviís?) is that it has dedicated ports on the mount rather than the GPS (except for the external antenna). So when I have to remove it I just pull it from the mount, I donít have to remove a bunch of cables from it and plug them back in when I re-mount it.

I use MotionX on my iPad (not in the 90 currently) and its pretty good. But not as good as the software in my old iQue M5. Problem is that the M5 is so old now it canít get map updates anymore and its soooo slow. The 5000 is my add on to the M5 (I keep the M5 for backup and for stuff the dumbed down Nuvi SW doesnít do well like tracks and GPS position type info). The 5000 has a big high resolution screen and is therefore easier to use off road with Topo and trail maps. I know it has the video input and specific back up camera set up, just never used it.

I would be interested in seeing more on your iPad mount. Itís the main reason I donít use the iPad in the 90. Havenít come up with a mounting system I like yet. I have various GPS and Top apps on it that would be useful if there was a good way to mount it. One thing to bear in mind is that many people (like me) keep them in cases of one sort or another and itís a PITA to keep taking it out to mount it. One of the reasons I donít like many of the mounts already out there.
Old February 27th, 2012, 02:44 PM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
We utilize some very high quality mounts from ProClip. Go to Proclipusa.com

I have been using MotionX GPS, iTopoMaps and the Geocaching apps on the iPhone for a couple of years now - and love it.
Old March 1st, 2012, 07:52 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Notice the tight squeeze from the other side. The car wash has gone out of business or is closed for the winter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-179476156.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	48479  
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:04 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Ha ha! I feel your pain, Josh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Notice the tight squeeze from the other side. The car wash has gone out of business or is closed for the winter.
Old March 1st, 2012, 08:19 PM
founD90
Dr. Gonzo
1994 D90 #48

Bryan, are you Cartronics?

I'm looking at the Phone/iPod (and possibly sat) kit for my w211 Benz....
Old March 1st, 2012, 10:15 PM
cdb
Clark Bowen
1969 Series 2a/OM617 Bugeye 88"

Have these in 1995 and 2004 RRs and would be great in D90

http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts...Default.aspx#/
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:19 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry

Hmmm, they are listing fitment for an iPad 3 and iPad HD???? Did somebody just let the cat out of the bag or did I miss a major announcement or something?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	iPads 1.JPG
Views:	71
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	48481  
Old March 1st, 2012, 11:43 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

I recently put this camera on my dodge ram.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...r-Cam-221.html

It was 70 bucks and works great. The night vision is very good. Hit the brakes and you can't even tell its night in the camera. I am running it with the edge cts 4.3" screen and it looks sweet.

I like this idea. I may be looking into this. I like gadgets.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 12:10 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Horsey, you need those jerry cans. It can be a long way to the nearest gas station in New Jersey. I think you should get one of those backup cameras.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 09:21 AM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Official announcement is next week on the 7th so anything up until then is speculation. I think they got it wrong in this ad. iPad 3 will be "HD" so it's likely to be one and the same product.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory

Hmmm, they are listing fitment for an iPad 3 and iPad HD???? Did somebody just let the cat out of the bag or did I miss a major announcement or something?
Old March 2nd, 2012, 10:46 AM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post
Never used it but my my Garmn Nuvi 5000 has backup camera input capability and a 5.2" Screen. Not sure if any of the currrent range have the option. Nuvi interface sucks though if you want anything more than basic autorouting functionality.
I use one in my 90 with a backup camera. There are pros and cons to it. If they would bring out a new version with the current Nuvi software, it would be a big step forward. The newest Nuvi software addresses a lot of the off road limitations of the traditional Nuvis.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:20 AM
KKilo23
Kenny
NAS SW l NAS ST l 110 SW | 110 Crew

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipgregory View Post

March 7th Apple has an iPad "Event"

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...969036754.html
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:43 AM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
GoPro cameras will soon be able to stream video to iPhones along with full camera controls. They have pushed back the release from Feb to March and now April. I am anxious to see how it will work. it wouldn't be a dedicated unit as most of the others mentioned above, but it's a toy that can do many other things also
Old March 2nd, 2012, 05:12 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red90 View Post
I use one in my 90 with a backup camera. There are pros and cons to it. If they would bring out a new version with the current Nuvi software, it would be a big step forward. The newest Nuvi software addresses a lot of the off road limitations of the traditional Nuvis.

Even the newer SW is dumbed down IMHO. I guess I am spoiled with my old M5 so I keep it in the truck. Handy as a backup if one of them craps out anyway. My biggest issue with the Nuvi SW is the way it handles tracks. I use the function a lot to save and upload trail maps that I keep on my computer and re-use/share with others and while the Nuvi can do it, its limited and annoying. The M5 allows me to save any section I have just travelled at any time, clear the memory (or not) and start again all from the unit in the truck. That way I can save the whole track or just parts of it. The Nuvi only allows me to save the whole thing since I last cleared it. No way to edit it or play around with it in the field. Kind of like a trip log. I then have to sit and edit the track to delete the bits I don't want later on the computer.

Is it even possible to access traditional GPS coordinate info, elevation, etc. from the Nuvi? If it is its buried in there pretty well.

The other thing that bugs me is that when auto routing it replaces the current speed and heading indicators with time to turn and arrival. No choice to configure the display for what I want to see like the older stuff can.

It works, itís easy to use, it can have multiple maps loaded and switch between them (Street, Topo, Trail, etc.), the size and resolution of the screen is awesome, it has a handy speed limit indicator and it has and can maintain up to date street maps, it links to real time traffic systems but itís not got enough depth to use it fully as a proper trail tool easily. At least not in the way I prefer.

Did I mention that the screen is awesome? J
Old March 2nd, 2012, 07:13 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Newer features of current nuvi sw.

Display and input coordinates
All track data is stored with no real limits so there is no need to manually save anything.
You can adjust what is displayed on the data fields to some extent and switch between 2 or 5 data fields.

There are still many things that are not as adjustable as an ique unfortunately.

I'm currently leaning to going with a pc and remote touchscreen for the truck. Large screen and no limits on software. This is in the middle of being setup.

And yes, the 5000 screen cannot be beat.
Old March 2nd, 2012, 11:37 PM
]-[ @ n $
Hans
Hunting

Registry
Quote:
I am having my buddies at Specdoc make us some docks for an iPhone/iPod that will replace the ashtray.
Any chance of getting in on one of those docks?
Old March 3rd, 2012, 02:12 AM
pipermalibu
Bryan Adams
97 D90

Registry
Absolutely. Once I get mine perfected, they said it would be easy to make more - so I thought I would get 10 for those interested. Should have mine perfected within a couple of weeks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
ac