Home Made Limb Raisers - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 31st, 2006, 11:00 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

Home Made Limb Raisers

I'm looking to assemble my own limb raisers. Can you all who have done them yourself give me some ideas on how you put your together? What you used, where you purchased the parts from and any pictures you may have. Thanks a bunch. gh

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2006, 11:05 AM
jstrong98
Jon Strong

http://www.defendersource.com/mod/bd.html

easy search.
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:09 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

Thanks Jon, I had "Limb Raisers". gh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 31st, 2006, 11:14 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I went to the True Value, bought some cable (3/8" I think, whatever looked right, plastic covered), some turnbuckles, and cable locks (the crimp things, they'll know there). I looked online, they don't seem to list any of these parts so I can't show them to you.
Any way, I wrapped one end around the corner of the bull bar, and one around the roll cage. Then I tighened them with the turnbuckle (or tensioner, however you say it) till they didn't shake too much in the wind.
I'll email you a pic as I'm too big of an idiot to figure out how to post them.

As an after thought to mine, I might put a carbiner or the like on the ends so I could take them off. When I need to I can undo the turnbuckle, but that's a pain.

Follow-up Post:

NM, beat by Jon
Old January 31st, 2006, 11:21 AM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I made my top loop a little larger so that I could thread the other end through and be able to take them off the roll cage...

Attaching it to the brush bar is a pipe hanger painted black with a rubber gasket to keep it in place. I have a marine grade turn buckles, looks nice and is easy to adjust. The carabineer is also a good idea.

Old January 31st, 2006, 11:27 AM
saber6
gh
97 D90 SW

Thanks for the feedback, the ideas are awesome. What do you think about drilling a hole in the bull bar and putting through an open ended bolt to attach either the turnbuckle or carabineer? I was thinking they could slide off the bull bar if done with clamps but I may very well be wrong. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks again. gh
Old January 31st, 2006, 01:04 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

That would work too, all a matter of preference. I'm eventually going to do a set of my own that way, and run them up to matching eye bolts on the roof rack.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 31st, 2006, 02:50 PM
Joe P
Joe Pfeiffer
Black 97 D-90ST #0605

I made a set of these from stuff found at my local Home Depot. I bought all SS stuff and the total cost was like $40. I crimped loops on each end and then use small SS carabiners to attach them to tabs that were welded on to the bumper and on to the roof rack. Overall I think they look pretty clean. You could make them a lot cheaper than I did if you don't use SS pieces. The moral of the story is that everything you need is at Home Depot!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions