Holes in body - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Old January 22nd, 2008, 09:46 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr
94 D90 Alpine White #1245

Holes in body

Just underneath the v8 emblem, I've got holes, that look to be damage from rocks while offroading. I bought the truck with these holes already there. There was a land rover sticker covering the holes, I took the stickers off unfortunately, and I can't find anywhere that sells these stickers/decals. Is there any way to repair these holes? Does anyone know where I can get these stickers? Refer to the pictures below.

Thanks,
Kenny
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	209.8 KB
ID:	11786   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	190.4 KB
ID:	11787  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	11788   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	245.1 KB
ID:	11789  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	367.3 KB
ID:	11790  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:00 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Those holes are corrosion. You can get the rover stickers at RN or anywhere really, but fenders are cheap and easy to replace, you may as well fit a new one.

That, and check over the truck carefully, because to have holes corroded in the aluminum body work doesnt bode well for the steel parts. It might just be a bad repair or something, but I haven't seen holes like that on a truck any newer than 25 years.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:15 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Those holes are corrosion. You can get the rover stickers at RN or anywhere really, but fenders are cheap and easy to replace, you may as well fit a new one.

That, and check over the truck carefully, because to have holes corroded in the aluminum body work doesnt bode well for the steel parts. It might just be a bad repair or something, but I haven't seen holes like that on a truck any newer than 25 years.
I'm not sure it it's corrosion. It looks like damage from a rock or something. It even looks like it was drilled. If I decide to replace the fender, it is hard to match paint?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:19 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

It is corrosion, there is a steel bracket behind that part of the fender.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:37 AM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

So for an amateur...like myself not knowing much about bodywork, would it be easy for me to install a new panel by myself? Where would go to get the paint matched?
Old January 22nd, 2008, 10:50 AM
shawnpalmer
Shawn Palmer
1997 SW-Arles Blue

Registry
All you have to do is go to any auto paint shop and tell them the paint code for alpine white. You can find that by searching here. The hardest part (and most expensive) will probably be getting someone to paint it for you. It will be a project, but it will be fun.

Paint Code for Alpine White: LRC456

97 D90 SW
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:06 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Back to the decal (if you decide to replace). I have ovals under my V8s. They are better quality than that and have a black plastic edge to them. I bought them years ago from the dealer. If I remember, they were the same as the rear ovals on 110s.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:18 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
You dont have to know anything about body work to replace defender panels - its all nuts and bolts. In your case, the front cage comes off, you remove the wheel arch eyebrow, undo the fender and thats that. Assembly is reverse of removal!

Corrosion on aluminum doesnt look like corrosion on steel. It tends to look like shale flaking away, and eventually you get holes.

The paint will match pretty well. With all the seams and waviness on defender panels, you dont have to have a really close match for it to look good.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:39 AM
evilfij
evilfij

If you clean out all the corrosion, you can just weld a couple patches on skim it with a little bondo and paint over it.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:54 AM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Do what Ron said.

I replaced both my outer fender skins. They took forever to get, and were expensive.

Or

Call RDS and have your bodyshop drill out the cage holes. Much Cheaper and quicker.

EwS
Old January 22nd, 2008, 11:59 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
If PO put a sticker over that corrosion and didn't tell you about it, my radar would go off as a warning sign, and I would think a full body inspection would be in order.

POP RIVETS LOOK COOL-THE MORE THE BETTER! (just kidding...do it right)
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij

It is common to have corrosion there. Check under the bottom seal where the rear tailgate goes, door bottoms, and near the cappings on the bed. Also, where the bulkhead and the front fenders touch and where the cage touches the fenders. Finally, the sills tend to rot where the steel brackets hold them on.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:33 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Question

Was that a D90 from the North, i.e. exposure to road salt?

Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:43 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover
Was that a D90 from the North, i.e. exposure to road salt?
Yes, the carfax said it was originally from Chicago, then Wisconsin.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:55 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Lets see pix of the underside - the rear crossmember, the outriggers etc.

There is more corrosion in those pix than just a couple holes, it looks like you've got several starting up there.

Also, those LR logos arent OEM. There are nice OEM ones available. Those are the kind of "resin pool" decals commonly for sale on ebay.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:25 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Lets see pix of the underside - the rear crossmember, the outriggers etc.

There is more corrosion in those pix than just a couple holes, it looks like you've got several starting up there.

Also, those LR logos arent OEM. There are nice OEM ones available. Those are the kind of "resin pool" decals commonly for sale on ebay.
Would you advise me to put a better sticker to cover the corrosion for now, as my finances will not allow a replacement fender as of now. let me know where I can get 3 new "nice OEM" stickers. I'll take a few pictures in a few minutes.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:35 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I recommend you don't put anything over the corrosion to hide it.

That way you will see it everyday and will constantly be reminded of the need to address it. It may be painful, but obscuring it could lead you down the dangerous path of deferred maintenance. If you can't fix it properly now, then suffer looking at it so that you fix it as soon as you can.

Oh, and stickers are lame.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 01:40 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Sure, slap some stickers on there.

A search for "decal" at Atlantic British turns up about 78 options - some of which are cool, some of which suck.

When it comes time, dont pay more than about 250 for a fender, and dont bother trying to find a NAS one, just cut holes in a normal one for the cage and side light.

Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:08 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennybahr
Yes, the carfax said it was originally from Chicago, then Wisconsin.
My truck has been in Chicago for years now and not one Birmabright panel has corrosion like that. It looks more like Ron said that someone botched a repair on the bracket behind the peice.

No other D's in the Land Rover Club have any holes on the birma from salt either. Frame maybe, but that is steel. . .
Old January 22nd, 2008, 02:37 PM
kennybahr
Kenny Bahr

Here are the pictures of the defender 90. I have all of the pictures in a photobucket account...just copy and paste the link.

http://s34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...Defender%2090/

Kenny

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Defender & Series Technical Discussions > Defender Technical Discussions

Tags
body